Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

GhostMinion

Sr Member
UPDATE 9/26/17
It's been quite a while since I've properly updated this thread or shared any updates on the project. I figured it was finally time to get things back in gear!

It's been off and on progress the past two years since cassius and I began this project. I've moved ahead in some areas, and others took major steps backwards. Just the same, the project continues to move on, and recently I've been able to put a good amount of work into them, and will continue to do so.

Anyhow, here's what we've got. Feel free to check the latest post for the current progress on the individual helmets.

The first to get modeled and printed was the T-51b helmet. If you've followed the thread, you'll already know that this helmet was already mastered and ready to mold up. Sadly, the mold making didn't go so well, and the helmet itself got ruined. However, the original way we had the opening in the bottom was as it is in the game renders, which was too small for me to fit my head through. On the new print, I made sure to open up the hole so a head could indeed fit inside.

04 Iso.png

After that, cassius modeled this one, the Hellfire Armor helmet from the Broken Steel DLC. This was the second helmet to get printed as well, and it is currently assembled and sealed in XTC resin, awaiting it's day for mastering. Sadly, the design of this helmet renders it impossible to wear on a human head. The helmet's structure created a big "rib" along the inside that is impossible to get your head past. Aside from that, if scaled evenly as they are seen in game, the Hellfire is notably smaller and skinnier in profile than the other helmets. While it would be possible to size it bigger, the front-to-back length is already near comparable to the other helmets, meaning sizing it up would make it look goofy and huge. I decided to match the scale evenly with the others, and it'll be a display piece.

hellfire render.png

Next one modeled was this one, the T-45d helmet. The main shell for this has also been printed and begun, currently still loads of work before we'll see any real progress. Like the Hellfire helmet, it awaits it's day.

T-45d render.png

The last of the Fallout 3 Power Armor helmets, the Enclave Power Armor helmet. The model done for this as well, and it too has been mostly printed off. The prints themselves don't fit my head, but the print walls are very thick, and a good bit of space will be made when they are casted. At that point, should fit just fine. This too sits awaiting it's day, sealed in XTC resin, although some work has been done to it.

isometric view enclave.png

This helmet, the very recognizable T-60, was also modeled by cassius. As of this writing, it has not yet been printed. I hope to get started on it before the end of Fall.

isometric view t60.png

Another FO4 helmet here, and one I'm quite proud of. The T-51 helmet from Fallout 4, which much to fans' glee was modeled more after the original images of the T-51b helmet from the first two Fallout games. Also, this helmet was modeled by myself. I did this the same way cassius has been modeling the other helmets, using the original game mesh as my starting point. Currently, this helmet nears completion (at least the main shell does). Pics will be on the latest posts, and you can expect to see more of this one very soon.

T-51 render 2.jpg

And finally, the second Power Armor helmet I modeled myself, the Remnants Power Armor helmet from Fallout New Vegas. Very closely patterned after the Enclave helmet from Fallout 2 (but not exactly a perfect match), this was one of the more impressive looking armors in New Vegas. This is again made from the original game meshes. I have yet to fully print it, and honestly still need to work a few things out to do a better thickening job. I aim to do that soon, so I can get printing going with it.

zyPaFAc.png

Stay tuned.............

Last edited:
Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets

These are awesome, are you planning to share the models when finished for other people to print?. I was planning to model these myself but ive got to many projects ongoing to start another.

These are awesome, are you planning to share the models when finished for other people to print?. I was planning to model these myself but ive got to many projects ongoing to start another.

No, I'm afraid the .stl's will be staying with me and Cassius.

Last edited:

No, I'm afraid the .stl's will be staying with me and Cassius. I'm always happy to provide anybody with the original game models, though. Whether it be for pepakura or refinement for 3d printing.

Would you be able to send me the game model of the T45 helmet please?. Would Blender be able to open it?

Would you be able to send me the game model of the T45 helmet please?. Would Blender be able to open it?

Sure. Just the helmet, or the whole armor? The extracted files are .nif files, but I can convert them to .obj so you can pull them up in blender.

Well, here's the start. Obviously starting with some of the smaller parts. These print out fairly quickly, so I'll be printing more of the little parts on my Makerbot today and tomorrow.

The beginning.jpg

I'm very happy with how I've decided to print the main shell, having had to brainstorm quite a bit on the best way to cut it for printing. However, it'll be about a week before I begin the main shell, as I need to finish up a print for my buddy Murdoch's WM helmet. After that, I'll start printing the main shell.

Anyhow, more little parts to come today. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

That is going to be one heck of a print. Interested in seeing how you break it all up to fit onto your printbed.

That is going to be one heck of a print. Interested in seeing how you break it all up to fit onto your printbed.

I'll be printing the main shell on my Lulzbot, which has about one foot by one foot print bed. The idea is to print the main shell in three parts, I'll post some pics of how I have it divided later on.

Your signature made me laugh............"when the damn slic3r settings behave." :lol So true.

Isn't it though!? Having that issue right now trying to get an AEP7 model to print properly... Suck's you're running it on a 12"x12" bed, I'd love to get a crack at those helmet files if you can make them small enough for an 8"x8"... though that's the main reason I've not contemplated doing any armor builds with mass printed parts.

Isn't it though!? Having that issue right now trying to get an AEP7 model to print properly... Suck's you're running it on a 12"x12" bed, I'd love to get a crack at those helmet files if you can make them small enough for an 8"x8"... though that's the main reason I've not contemplated doing any armor builds with mass printed parts.

Which laser pistol files are you using? Dragonator's? I've got his laser pistol kit all printed out, I just need to finish mastering the parts and assemble it.

I printed that on my other printer, though. If I had the .gcodes for sli3er, I'd of been happy to share them with you, but makerware did all the slicing. :(

And, 8x8? Why so small? You doing a bust project? I'm making mine big so they can be worn.

So, you're doing the remnants (orginal) mk.II right?

The remnants armor is the Advanced MK 1, as seen in Fallout 2. I will be doing that one, but it hasn't been modeled yet and is not set to be until the Advanced Mk II is done, which has not been started yet either. (it's up next after the T-45)

The cool thing about the MK 1 is we will be doing both the Tesla and the Standard version. The sucky thing is we won't be getting to those other Enclave lids for a good while. The first three will take a long time as it is. The grand time frame of this project is likely going to span over a year, if not more.

The remnants armor is the Advanced MK 1, as seen in Fallout 2. I will be doing that one, but it hasn't been modeled yet and is not set to be until the Advanced Mk II is done, which has not been started yet either. (it's up next after the T-45)

The cool thing about the MK 1 is we will be doing both the Tesla and the Standard version. The sucky thing is we won't be getting to those other Enclave lids for a good while. The first three will take a long time as it is. The grand time frame of this project is likely going to span over a year, if not more.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_power_armor_Mk_II_%28Fallout_2%29

- - - Updated - - -

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_power_armor_Mk_II_%28Fallout_2%29

Boy, the confusion this has wrought. I'm too excited to see your progress, this is gonna be awesome!

Last edited:

Which laser pistol files are you using? Dragonator's? I've got his laser pistol kit all printed out, I just need to finish mastering the parts and assemble it.

I printed that on my other printer, though. If I had the .gcodes for sli3er, I'd of been happy to share them with you, but makerware did all the slicing. :(

And, 8x8? Why so small? You doing a bust project? I'm making mine big so they can be worn.

No no I'm not doing an armor build with the printer, cause it is small. I was saying I wish the parts for a full helmet were smaller. I already made my fallout armor [t48b with t51 helmet and beat to ******] out of the peprika papercraft, bondo, resin, and a whole load of sanding method.

I guess that the fallout 3 version is also called MKII hahaha. It doesn't really matter of course, I just always get excited to see someone doing the old enclave armor.

Well, I glad to see some people amped up for these builds. :) I thank everyone for their support and will try my best to make the best kits possible. It's time for some Enclave lids too, yes!!!

Also, just wanted to remind everybody that Cassius modeled these, not me. I'm very pleased with the work he and I have strived to achieve, he is one bad ass modeler!!! I wouldn't be able to do this without him! My eternal thanks to my good friend.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back