Eve from WALL-E Build

hdtheater

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been wanting to do a 3D model with my CNC from pink foam for a while. I thought I would start with a simple model. Eve from WALL-E.

Eve does not have many parts, nor are there a lot of complicated lines or grooves to have to figure out.

I have not been able to find out how tall she really is, I guess about 5'. She won't be full scale due to the limits of the CNC. She will be about 3' tall when done. So let's say 3/5 scale.

I am starting with the arms. They require the least amount of material. I had some readily available to get started.

The sheets are 3/4" thick. Each arm takes 4 layers.

6de1d1fa404dbc06054d279ae3342885_zps960e3b2c.jpg

516b041b0518ec6337de5275857962bc_zps69c0fac6.jpg

The thin pieces tend to fall apart at the edges, but I can smooth that out later with joint compound or some other filler.

bcc6dd3e15c6f975146fe69be08ee930_zps44dc527e.jpg

17910285465f413b13c819c12d327c26_zps5d462240.jpg

Both arms got glued up today and I will start working on her head next.

-Eric

Looking forward to watching your build, I love Wall-e, it was my sons favorite movie when he was little so I have literally seen it a 100 times I think. :D

One of my favorites as well. I love Disney stuff and her design was always so sleek. I have seen lots of WALL-E builds and have not seen many of Eve, not on theRPF at least.

-Eric

Did some more work last night.

I decided to put a coat of primer on the arms. I am trying to decide how I am going to coat this so it is durable once complete. Thinking fiberglass. Any suggestions?

9f63eaf62e0ed5c42fadd80eca725d5c_zpsd10d2268.jpg

I also used up all the foam I had on hand and started working on her head.

351918725cfcd069d761a1bfbcc4df73_zpsd141c7ef.jpg

That is not I trimmed or glued together yet.

We talked about this at the R2 LA party. Once you get your master, are you going to vacuum for her?

We thought a negative mold was the way to go.

We talked about this at the R2 LA party. Once you get your master, are you going to vacuum for her?

We thought a negative mold was the way to go.

I have not thought about a vaccuform. Will the plug need to be rigid? Or can it be soft foam still?

Check my 400th post!!!

-Eric

- - - Updated - - -

how you manage to cut the foam like that i'm in awe!

These are all CNC cut.

be careful the foam does not melt from the resin, try a scrap piece first.

oh yeah what are you gluing the foam together with?

-z
I am using Titebond 3 to glue it. It works better than most foam adhesives and leaves no gap between the layers. I have used it on my tombstones for the last few years.

Will definitely try my method out on scraps. Have learned that sealing it has saved it from aerosol melt, but I would expect fiberglass to cure faster and pose less risk, but I have read in more than enough places beware of the melt! Thankfully, I have scrap foam, fiber glass resin, and primer to play with.

-Eric

Minor update. I was out of town for the weekend and did not get anything done. However, I did manage to test out some fiberglass on sealed foam.

09314b63b6b7908a0b3399cd6e3a5833_zps74882fd7.jpg

It was a successful failure! Not only did it melt the foam, but after 4 days it still hasn't cured. It cured everywhere else, not the foam. I read Epoxy resin is the type to use for this material. Anybody, ever use that on foam? There are some other materials out there, but trying to stick with more common choices.

-Eric

Eric, take a look at Smooth On Epsilon. It's a plastic coating specifically made for foam. It will give you a rigid surface, but not quite as strong as fiberglass

... or you could do what the Iron Man armor builders do and use Elmer's glue mixed with water to brush onto the foam first, before you use the fiber-glass resin. A 50/50 mix brushed on in several layers will protect the foam from the resin. Elmer's glue is water-based, anyway, and will not melt the foam board. Since you already have the resin, it might be a cheaper alternative to epsilon. It's looking really good, BTW. I can't wait to see it finished. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Smooth On and the Elmer's routes.

Small update for today. I picked up some more foam and Eve's head is getting thicker.

null_zpsd927a47c.jpg

I picked up enough to finish her head. This weekend's goal is to get all the pieces sanded and glued.

-Eric

I'm new-ish around here, but in my lurking I've been really surprised how little I see pink foam used. In college this was my main model making method and I had decent results with wood glue as a barrier between the foam and the resin. However, build up the resin slowly. Thick with the glue in several layers, then thin layers of resin, one at a time. Any time I was working on something I couldn't gamble with, I would double down with a layer of tape, be it duct (for basic shapes) or hockey tape (for slightly more details), and then a few layers of glue. Good luck!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back