Equalist Electrified Glove from Avatar: The Legend of Korra

TheAtomicSoul

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am in the process of making the Equalist Glove from The Legend of Korra. I've built the part for the top of the hand and have it on order, and will be working on the rest between another project that was introduced to me the other day as well. I hope to have the glove done quickly, but we'll see how that goes. :)

This will not only be one of my largest projects to date, but will technically be one of the first prop replicas I've made.

To quote a Wiki:
An electrified glove is a lightweight and portable electroshock weapon that releases a powerful electrical shock capable of rendering any individual unconscious. It is worn as a gauntlet on one hand and employed by the Equalists to incapacitate their enemies. They were manufactured by Hiroshi Sato's Future Industries to support the Equalists against Benders.

Every image you see of the glove gives them a slightly different design so I will be taking a bit of liberty with mine. (As an example, most these pics I just found have the parts sticking out on top connected with a half sphere, but the ones I had before show a bent tube.)

I'll show off the parts I made and had 3D printed once they arrive (should be this week.) I've partially redesigned them to make attaching them to leather easier and am now considering another minor redesign. ;)

Crate_with_electrified_gloves.png
asami+glove.jpg
tumblr_m52kz6VnOn1r73n19o2_500.gif
tumblr_m52kz6VnOn1r73n19o1_500.gif

Looked at 3D printing the finger covers and those alone are coming out as $40 in the cheapest material available. Does anyone have a suggestion for fabricating such parts for a lower price?

Got my test prints in, and I'm debating if I want to make it larger or not.
Anyone else think the scale is off, or does it look right?

7537321724_da47b4e34b_b.jpg

I've redesigned it to be sewn onto leather instead of having the strap setup. After receiving these I will better set it up to reproduce them myself.

Wow, I was hoping to do something like this or see if someone would. The first time I saw those, hit me like something steampunkish Iron man gauntlet. The gloves are pretty bulky though, I feel like the circle cylinder set should be a bit larger.

I've been wanting to start this project as well. Really wish I had the money to spend on 3D printing... Keep us updated. Any sketches of your redesigns?

Ironically the print is the size I intended it to be but I agree; it needs to be larger.

I originally thought of it like a form fitting glove, but it's more along the lines of a "one size fits all" leather welders glove (which I'll be picking up this weekend.) Have to go with a brown pair though, can't find a black and brown pair.

AS visible in the image, the end pieces of the fingers curve slightly upwards. I chose this design element as it matches the way they are in the anime; it's unimportant, but a subtle touch. :)

IronCostumer: I got a Makerbot to speed up test printing things and the bloody thing hasn't worked for me properly; either it's clogged or the objects warp too much to be useful. so I'm stuck going through a printing service company.

I'm still debating on the size of the cylinders on the side: Once I set it up to break into parts for printing I'll try a couple different sizes out. Got to figure the best break up for molding though. :p

7547597012_b614d2a892_b.jpg

This is the thread that brought me to this community. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Anyway, the 3D model of this looks great. I agree with the consensus here, that it needs to be a bit larger. In this screenshot it looks pretty huge--almost the same size of the back of the hand:

HOLY CRAP THIS IS AMAZEBALLS.

Seriously, I've been sketching this glove from all angles all weekend, trying to hammer out the details. I came to this forum for another project, but saw this mentioned in passing, and LOVE that I'm not the only one working on this!

I really like your design. I'm on the fence about the size discussion; I actually think the disc looks good, but that the cylindrical off-shoots could be a tad longer.

Granted, though, I'm working on a glove to go with my wife's Asami costume, so all the reference shots I'm going from are on her, and they tend to make it look a bit more form fitting and sleek on here. By contrast, when you see the one on Hiroshi's hand as he tries to hand her his other glove, it looks very bulky. Ah, the pleasures and pitfalls of trying to recreate costumes from animation. No two screen shots are alike!

Anyway, great work, I look forward to following your progress! I have Bolin costume myself, but was hoping to eventually make some gloves for an Equalist costume too.

On a relate topic, has anyone had any thoughts on how to add a practical to the glove? I'd like it make mine at least light up (I like this guy's shot from tumblr):
View attachment 105638

It would be even cooler to have it arc with some kind of current or something, but short of dismantling and integrating a tazer of some kind, I don't see that being a pratical goal, heh.

I was wondering the same thing. I want to try my hand at scratch-building one of these, and I'd love for it to light up and maybe flash to simulate an electrical discharge. I have zero experience with lights and wiring, though.

Of course making it arc electricity would be awesome too... but then it technically becomes a real stun gun, so if anyone figures out how to do that, make sure you know the laws on stun guns in your area :lol

If i may suggest - don´t guess to much about the size of that piece now.

Get the glove, build it´s addons/plating/whatever, and when the glove looks like it´s done, then you have something to get the scale of the other parts properly.

Only my 2 cents.

That awesome. Great build. I saw on line a guy who had a glove that sparked across the finger tips. If I can find it again I'll post it here.

Sorry for the lack of response folks; I wound up on a 10 hour mid day shift at work; thankfully thats over!

Syrus
Didn't see that pic before, and yea- it's bigger. That pic makes the circle appear as wide as the wrist.
It's also the first one that I've seen that makes the glove look tight on the arm instead of wide like a welders glove.

------------

SirRogue
One of the things I'm modelling these in mind with is the ability to have both sides light up. :D

Though arches and sparks on the fingertips = Awesome you run into the issue of it being seen as an actual weapon or being weaponized, which poses the possibility of either being thrown out of a convention or being arrested if you walk into the wrong person with it on.

------------

I bought two different types and brands of welder gloves and both verify it would make the fingers so FAT it'd be neigh impossible to move your fingers without them smacking each other constantly.
I had the idea of making the finger tips out of copper tubing but I can't find any wide enough to fit over my ring finger, so I think I will go ahead and get a 3D print of these made.

I made the part for the back of the hand about 40% larger. I hope the local company I'm trying to go through will be able to do it cheaper then the other; if not then it'll be another 3 weeks before I get the parts in.

SirRogue
One of the things I'm modelling these in mind with is the ability to have both sides light up. :D

Awesome.

I had the idea of making the finger tips out of copper tubing but I can't find any wide enough to fit over my ring finger, so I think I will go ahead and get a 3D print of these made.

I've been fiddling around with some .008 crafting tin we had from another project to shape the finger tips. If it works for one, I think I will go ahead and buy some .008 brass and shape it to fit over the fingertips of the base glove.

Quick note: The difference between one 3D printing company and the local one I just checked with?

Around $1,900 USD.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back