East Dock Sign Measurements?

Jesfa

I was wondering if anyone happened to have the various measurements on hand for the East Dock sign, from Jurassic Park. Was thinking of making one for my personal collection, but haven't had much luck finding the measurements for it anywhere. Actually more contemplating a scale desk model of one, but I'd still like it to be to scale, thus still needing the correct measurements :(

norm-4bdc5b179b0e4-Jurassic+Park+%281993%29.jpeg

If anyone has the measurements, I'd be incredibly grateful.

Just be sure to make the arrow spin.

Absolutely!

I don't know why this was going through my head, but while watching Jurassic Park last night to get some ideas for the sign, I was contemplating not only a desk size one, but making that desk-size one, into a pen! Shouldn't be too hard to do. ^_^

Well, the measurements of the post is less important to me right this second, first thing I want to get done are the(in this order):

Island
Boat
East Dock
Arrow
Pole

Gonna grab my disc of Jurassic Park now to try and get a better idea of the sign. Couple things I want to double check:

1. The sign and all its pieces are all wood right? Seems that way.
2. Are the East Dock letters flush, or are they carved wood on their own?
3. Is that paint, or a plastic coat image for the actual parts of the sign? I'm assuming some kind of plastic overlay on wood?

GOnna re-watch that scene a couple times to get a better idea, and edit the post with anything I find out, if anyone has any advice/idea, I'd love to hear it.

Post%20Down.jpg

From what I can tell:
1. The post is 100% wood, doesn't seem like anything but paint.
2. East dock is just Jurassic Park font "East Dock", on a black board.
3. Still lost, would love some help :(

Post size btw is what I can only assume is 4x4. It's a square shape for sure, doubt its 6x6, as that'd be a VERY thick pole.

Contact the member cyrix9445

He has already made this sign and can probably send you the measurements and his art work:

6.jpg

That's really odd. I thought I already did, but looking at my pm box I don't see anything. Wonder if I sent one and didn't tell it to save a copy.

His looks really good. The post he used looks a little small, in comparison to what my measurements are looming like. Not sure if he made it smaller for a reason or my calc us off.

Id live to know what he did on the wood for he images.

1up, I wouldn't mind making extra assuming they come out looking nice for people to buy, but man is shipping going to be expensive :-\

Post is almost certainly a basic 4x4.

I know this board is "all about accuracy", but really - does it matter? Just make sure your signs that attach to the post look good to your eye, and go for it.

Get the font right; get the drawings right; get the sizes of the signs close enough that they don't look odd, and you're done.

Shipping...? Just do the signs alone if you want to do a run. Any sap can run to Home Depot, buy a 4x4 and paint it white.

Last edited:
The pole height is a decent bit taller than both Nedry as well as the wrangler see briefly before he smashes it with the jeep. A friend of mine is a engineering and art major, said he'll try to extrapolate a bit to see i he can get me some more precise measurements. One annoying thing I've noticed is that the two best images, are when its at an angle that sucks for getting measures >_<

Suppose I could do a run sometime minus the pole, either way I wanna get mine looking good before id contemplate making for anyone else.

I don't recall the exact measurements of the sign it's self, but the post I used was 4x4. If anything I'd say my sign might be a little big, although when you look at it from an angle like the movie shots, the post appears bigger.

The boat was cut with blue vinyl on a white painted wooden circle, the island was a white wooden piece cut to shape using a trace and jigsaw, with a green cut vinyl insert. The "East Dock" text is printed vinyl on a black painted wooden rectangle. The spinning arrow was made with stencils and paint.

I had considered doing a "kit" run of these, that would include everything to make them except wood and paint. I would love to do a completed sign run, but the extent of my woodworking tools includes a jigsaw and a power sander. I suppose using a jig and a router could speed up the process, but I figured it would lower shipping costs to sell them as a kit.

Here's a link to my original thread. I had also offered other JP signs.

http://www.therpf.com/f13/jurassic-park-signs-lifesize-93841

Any chance you have the measurements of the sign you have at home? The vinyl art was what, just an.image taken to a shop?

Funny aside, while watching the scene a few times to get screenshots, I noticed the movie mistake for the first time.

Octagon Sign: 12"x12" square, cut off corners for octagon
East Dock: 5.5"x20" more or less
Island: 26"x18"

Is what a friend measured, using pixel to inchs, with the 4x4 post being the base.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back