Doctor Who K9 - Have You Seen Him ?

Oblivion

Does anyone recognize this full size School Reunion K9 prop ? A strong rumour suggests that he was on display at the Cardif Dr Who Exhibition a few years ago, Have you any photos of him from the event ? Do you know who his original owner is, or even who built him ?
Sadly he's the worse for wear now, but my intention is to restore him to his original glory days ;)

34rd8o2.jpg
65zev8.jpg

el9mc9.jpg
10ruulw.jpg

How did you acquire this? This thing is a complete con and has never been near an exhibition or has any lineage to a real K9. It was built a few years back by a couple of shysters in Yorkshire who were flogging them for a while on Ebay with several spurious claims attached to it. It was adapted from Gene Fender's blueprints and is grossly inaccurate in dimensions and build. This one is, if I recall, made from a sintra-like poly board. The real McCoy from the exhibitions were cast in fibreglass by Scott Wayland.

It's essentially a bad fan build.

I actually don't care where it came from, I'm just curious. It's fantastically detailed, if the builders where "shysters" then they were bloody talented ones ! It looks amazing, and as for being "grossly innacurate" it's a near spot on match to my licensed 'This Planet Earth' K9. Have you seen one in the flesh ? You'd never know it was polyboard until you looked inside. "Bad fan build" - I've never heard anything further from the truth mate - sorry !

Actually, I have and that is what I am basing my opinion on. I didn't mean any offence. If you're happy with it, then great. That's what counts. And FYI, the TPE K9 is not accurate so any comparison between this and the TPE is meaningless compared to the actual prop.

Actually, I have and that is what I am basing my opinion on. I didn't mean any offence. If you're happy with it, then great. That's what counts. And FYI, the TPE K9 is not accurate so any comparison between this and the TPE is meaningless compared to the actual prop.

I'm not offended at all, it's just a prop :) I bought it cheap, it's fun, I'll fit a remote to it and do it up. Personally I love it, and not one person has guessed it's polyboard yet, in fact that's half the reason I like it. As for accuracy, that's never been a huge issue for me, The TPE one I own is great and compared to many of the home builds I've seen does the job brilliantly. At least I know the little guys history now, which is all I was after, so thanks. Nice to know that it was built by a couple of "Shysters" :lol

Dosen't the term "shyster" mean an immoral attorney?

I never have anything useful to contribute.

Hi There Oblivion,

I too bought one of these, and decided to strip it down and use
the shell as a starting point, and even after twelve months graft
and endless trips to halfords it still gives me something to work on
and focus on, will try to post before and current pics of build,
well done and enjoy!!!
IMG_0297.jpg

So whose plans for K9 are considered to be most accurate?

It the TPE prop is not accurate, whose is? Have they produced plans?

Of course plans that are not readily available or were posted and have become dead links are not as useful as plans that can still be obtained.

There is a PDF file to be found if you search for "foam K-9". It is about 9 pages. Lots of dimensions for the body, and templates for the head. The information is free and not to be sold, according to the author of the plans. I am working on building one, and will post some photos when I manage to get moving on it.

Klee Your rebuild looks great! Coming along quite nicely! Might I ask what paint your used for the new exterior and the brand? I'm over here in the US and can't seem to find one that is quite right for my k9 rebuild.

CC:love

Klee Your rebuild looks great! Coming along quite nicely! Might I ask what paint your used for the new exterior and the brand? I'm over here in the US and can't seem to find one that is quite right for my k9 rebuild.

CC:love

What he said!

I too am curious about the paint you used

brillant ...for the life of me i cant find the buttons for the control panle anychance of pointing me to them please.

may thanks cant wait to finish my k9

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back