Doctor Who: How many different versions of the Sonic Screwdriver have there been?

Wickerness

Sr Member
A question that crossed my mind while I was over in the Junkyard. I was just wondering how many different versions or variants there have been. As far as I know there have been three different versions in the new show (if you count the future version of the Doctor's that River Song has). I'm mainly wondering how many were in the classic show. I know that the Troughton's (and the original sonic) was a pen light, but I don't know if it was the same one or same type on every appearance. Since I don't have all of the stories with an appearance of the sonic from that era. I mainly remember it from The War Games. During the Pertwee era we see a "Door Handle" which some have said is a sonic, but it's a bit of debate. Then we see the one with the yellow spiral bit on it. Not to mention a couple of versions that I know of. I'm not sure if the one towards the end of his era is the same one that Baker used early on. During the Baker era I'm not sure if there are that many different versions, but I know about the white ring that is on it and is there until it's destruction during Davison's era (though a plastic stunt sonic was used for the destruction). Then we have the McCoy/McGann version in the tv movie. If anyone has more information about the sonic screwdrivers or some screencaps that would be really appreciated. Hopefully this thread will help anyone that is interested in this stuff. That and maybe then we might have a count on how many sonic screwdrivers there have been or at least how many variants. Not counting Romana's or the Master's Laser Screwdriver.

Last edited:
Re: Doctor Who: How many different versions of the Sonic Screwdriver have their been

I guess we can't do paragraphs, because I know I hit enter a few times.

Re: Doctor Who: How many different versions of the Sonic Screwdriver have their been

so who has the 2nd doc stories to get us some screen caps.

It helps, but I think it's missing some different variants. Like the one with the white band around it that was during the early part of Davison's era and late part of Tom Baker's era. Not to mention that I think Pertwee's had a few different paint jobs or lack of paint in an early one if I remember right. http://rdwf.org.uk/sonics.htm I found another site that has the Sonic Screwdriver through the years. I don't know if it has all of them or not, but it helps some.

so who has the 2nd doc stories to get us some screen caps.

Of the three second Doctor stories,fury from the deep hasn't been found and The Dominators and The War games haven't been released on DVD yet,though I think the war games is scheduled for some time this year.

Of the three second Doctor stories,fury from the deep hasn't been found and The Dominators and The War games haven't been released on DVD yet,though I think the war games is scheduled for some time this year.

The War Games are due out sometime this year... they haven't announced the date yet. It can't come out soon enough for me... and not just to see the sonic screwdriver.

The war games was one of the best stories ever!

The war games was one of the best stories ever!

I know... It's one of my all time favorites. I know my 10 year old son will look forward to seeing it. Troughton is his favorite Doctor. I'm surprised he hasn't worn out the Tomb Of The Cybermen dvd. Yet people think kids won't watch the b&w stories.

Everyone seems to overlook the Masters TCE, or TC device.
Now yes I am a fan of the new series, but a laser screwdriver doesnt realyl do it for me...
But bring back the TCE even though it was a lil...dodgy looking, it was a great prop! Used thoughout anthony ainleys master, allthough Delgado did have something also but i dont think it was a TCE but i could be mistaken, it was come kind of laser thing...

Has anybody seen anything do do with a replica version, or even any attempts that anybody has made!!
Would make an intersting thought!

Last edited:

I've posted this on other forums, but never had a response, so...

I don't know if this has ever been covered anywhere in the years I've not been following fandom, but what's the story about the sonic screwdriver (Pertwee version onwards?) Was this based on a commercially available tool, or did Doctor Who nick it from Thunderbirds?

If you don't know what I mean, watch the movie Thunderbirds are Go - there's a clear shot at 1hr 21 mins 41 sec (UK PAL version) of the sonic screwdriver minus the headpiece. It was used in the prior scene as a full-sized prop in real hands. The top fitted over a bolt, then the handle pushed is like a ratchet screwdriver.

As I said, I've never seen reference to this anywhere, but it's always been obvious to me...

Cheers

Doug

No one's got an answer on that one that sticks. It certainly appears to be the Thunderbirds tool reused but if that tool started out life as a pnumatic screwdriver, a chirporactic tool or a shock absorber for a gocart no one can say for sure and the few people in the know (the props masters and the high end collectors that are hiding the few surviving pieces in their collections) are absolutely not coming forward.

Can anybody post a picture of the tool used in Thunderbirds?

No one's got an answer on that one that sticks. It certainly appears to be the Thunderbirds tool reused but if that tool started out life as a pnumatic screwdriver, a chirporactic tool or a shock absorber for a gocart no one can say for sure and the few people in the know (the props masters and the high end collectors that are hiding the few surviving pieces in their collections) are absolutely not coming forward.

Thanks - at least I now know I wasn't imagining things!

Cheers

Doug

AAh i didnt know there was a previous post about this!
Wonderfull....
*checks it out*

One? Dude, this conversation came up once every two years before the show returned to the air, now it's more like once every six months. ;) LOL!

I only really started using the forum a few days ago, Still pretty new to this, even though i signed up ages ago..

One? Dude, this conversation came up once every two years before the show returned to the air, now it's more like once every six months. ;) LOL!

Then sorry for being the one to bring it up again!

As I said, I've been trying to find the answer for over 10 years, but have obviously been looking in the wrong places.

Thanks again

Doug

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back