Doctor Who - Gadgets and Contraptions: The Mirror Matcher

davidnagel

Sr Member
I love the gadgets and contraptions the Doctor reveals in the TV Show and given there isn't really a continuous thread about people making em, I thought 'why not!'

So I thought I'd make a series of these posts/threads

I'm cross posting this from dw_cosplay/crafty_tardis LJ communities for wider spectrum of responses - and maybe some help!

Originally posted 6 June 2010! (sorry)

Today's gadget is the Mirror Matcher (did it have a name on screen?)

d11s01e10_wallpaper_07_800x450.jpg

Firstly, I can see that there is a big ribbed rope (or pipe) that runs around the piece through brass coloured rings. I think this is more a rope as its green, don't ask why I think its a rope I just do! LOL

It should be easy enough to find the leather straps that hold it onto torso. It has a bike's handlebars at the bottom. And those strange glass insert connector things that I swear I've seen in Back to the Future. Actually, most of the bits and pieces look like bike pieces, including the ball joint for the mirror itself. Funny, I have a suitcase that is more or less exactly like the one seen on screen for this gadget.

Here is concept art now of the this prop from Peter McKinstry, it doesn't shed any light on what the TV prop is made of but its certainly cool to look at

42VISUALRECOGNITIONDEVICEsmBLOCKED.jpg

Its called the Visual Recognition Device - I think I prefer my name!

Update 19/10/2010 My new graphic of what I think bits and pieces are

Click for bigger picture

And a quick sketch

MirrorMatcher_sketch.jpg

Next - finding the various pieces!

Any help in identifying some bits is greatly appreciated. Also any advise on what I might construct the main body from, I'm thinking a clock in a similar shape ...

Last edited:
I liked this prop a lot. I hope to see someone make it happen. I still look out for pieces of it from time to time. It's hard to find any of it when you have no clue what any of it is though haha.

Good luck, either way.

Well fortunately most of it IS findable WarMachine.

I am awaiting a delivery of the brass rings at the moment. I had been undecided whether they should be 30mm or 35mm. Scaling images of the props and making it 35mm makes it look way too big. So I bought 30mm ones - will scale the prop accordingly.

Its the main copy that has confused me, but I will be making that out of either layers of cardboard - covered in body filler, OR someone suggested to me that it could be a telephone/aerial extension reel (its got the right shape afterall)

AND, bonus info from the designer himself, the mirror is in fact from the bus as seen in "Planet of the Dead"

Does anyone have any idea what this bit is?
mirrormatcher_mysteriouscomponent.png

I can see it has a brass ring/clamp around it but no idea what it might be.

the rope looks like those line control devices, the barriers outside nightclubs or at a hotel or something. know what I mean?

The hoses look a lot like the accordion hose use on older style oxygen masks. Almost identical to MIG pilot mask hose.

No idea of the exact part, but I want to say it's probably something from a boat/ship. Probably a lamp of some sort. If nothing else, that's the direction I would start my search from. ;)

Well fortunately most of it IS findable WarMachine.

I am awaiting a delivery of the brass rings at the moment. I had been undecided whether they should be 30mm or 35mm. Scaling images of the props and making it 35mm makes it look way too big. So I bought 30mm ones - will scale the prop accordingly.

Its the main copy that has confused me, but I will be making that out of either layers of cardboard - covered in body filler, OR someone suggested to me that it could be a telephone/aerial extension reel (its got the right shape afterall)

AND, bonus info from the designer himself, the mirror is in fact from the bus as seen in "Planet of the Dead"

Does anyone have any idea what this bit is?
mirrormatcher_mysteriouscomponent.png

Look like a three LED flash light in center of the brass clamp.
Mel W.

The larger ring looks like a brass pipe clamp.

brasssinglering_71726.jpg

The light looks like a cheap-o dollar store 3 LED light.

I'll see if I can find the rest.

Yup. Got the brass clamps. Its the central bit and following the boat/nautical approach, I think the LED surround is a short hour glass - its just finding them!

Ok, I think the thing in the middle looks like a flow indicator...

sight-flow-indicator-780553.jpg

might be hard to find the exact item, looks really vintage.

Here's the hose I was talking about... I took a pic of some of the stuff in my shop. It's not exactly the same fabric braid.

If you check eBay for SCOTT AVIATION HOSE you should find it for a decent price.

2010-11-02104932.jpg

Now as for the 3 bolt brass flange fittings... I haven't had much luck. I've found automotive exhaust and turbo flange fittings that are close, but are steel and not brass. :unsure

So I decided that I'd like to make one of these as well and did some looking around. No luck on anything in my local hardware stores, I'm going to try one of the better ones sometime in the next week. Has anybody found a reliable site that sells those pipe clamps?

Here's the hose I was talking about... I took a pic of some of the stuff in my shop. It's not exactly the same fabric braid.

If you check eBay for SCOTT AVIATION HOSE you should find it for a decent price.

Thanks for the info, if I don't have any luck, maybe I'll hit you up about the stuff from your shop :)

So I decided that I'd like to make one of these as well and did some looking around. No luck on anything in my local hardware stores, I'm going to try one of the better ones sometime in the next week. Has anybody found a reliable site that sells those pipe clamps?

I have only (very) cheap UK suppliers - I believe you are elsewhere in the world though?

Yea, although I'll be visiting the UK in January, if they're stocked in a store somewhere (do you guys have an equivalent to Home Depot?) I could swing by and pick some up while I'm there.

Yea, although I'll be visiting the UK in January, if they're stocked in a store somewhere (do you guys have an equivalent to Home Depot?) I could swing by and pick some up while I'm there.

Sorta. I haven't checked the more domestic home/DIY stores here because I assumed they wouldn't stock them, but we have Homebase and B&Q as the most popular ones. But for something like this, you might be lucky to find a little independent DIY shop that'll do the clamps (but be warned, they will most probably be more expensive than those from the link I provided!)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back