Doctor Who - The First Doctor's Ring

mtsbspidey

I'm looking for a clear picture of the ring with the blue stone the first Doctor wore on Doctor Who. This is the only shot I can find, and it's not very helpful. Does anyone have a better one? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for a clear picture of the ring with the blue stone the first Doctor wore on Doctor Who. This is the only shot I can find, and it's not very helpful. Does anyone have a better one? Thanks in advance.

Try this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/firstdoctor/images/1024/hartnell08.html

Side view:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/firstdoctor/images/1024/hartnell15.html

For color:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/firstdoctor/images/1024/hartnell16.html

http://www.tragicalhistorytour.com/
The Space Museum section has loads of Hartnell photos on this site - there's some other good ring shots in the Marco Polo section.

Working on a ring collection, actually. The DC Lantern rings have me on a bit of a kick.

Though I have always kinda wanted to do a First Doctor costume.

Working on a ring collection, actually. The DC Lantern rings have me on a bit of a kick.

I know what you mean.

Personally if I was to get the ring... It wouldn't be as much for a costume, but to start a collection of items (prop or costume part) of each Doctor. Mainly some signature item that when you see it, it reminds you of that particular Doctor. Like the 2nd Doctor's recorder, 4th Doctor's scarf, 7th Doctor's umbrella (right now I have his key, but the umbrella is more well known), or the 3rd Doctor's materialization circuit. I haven't really thought about the 5th or 6th Doctor's items. I really don't want to go with the 6th's jacket... ugh (even if it's his most famous or infamous item). I would say his sonic lance, but it was from one story.

The ring is the only thing I can think of from the 1st Doctor... other than doing something as big as his jacket (which could be mistaken by some for the 2nd Doctor).

Interesting, I hadn't even remembered his ring till I read this thread. That would be pretty cool to replicate. Perhaps it was like that ring that I won't mention for fear of revealing spoilers...

7th Doctor's umbrella (right now I have his key, but the umbrella is more well known),

The umbrella isn't that hard to make. I found instruction on the old Dr. Who Prop builder's forums (now defunct.)

Umbrellamk1.jpg

It's just an acrylic rod heated up and bent around a wooden form. I realized that it's actually fairly similar to a lightsaber. So I thought i'd combine the two ideas.

Umbrellamk2.jpg

Sorry, to pull this off topic.

Andy

And don't forget the Masters' ring from the new series! I'd love to get one of those.
Actually, I just finished a cheap and easy Master's ring this past weekend.
masterring.jpg

I made it out of a Black Lantern ring, lowered the top, sanded down the BL symbol and printed the design in very high-res. It's much much clearer than the image makes it seem.

I know what you mean.

Personally if I was to get the ring... It wouldn't be as much for a costume, but to start a collection of items (prop or costume part) of each Doctor. Mainly some signature item that when you see it, it reminds you of that particular Doctor. Like the 2nd Doctor's recorder, 4th Doctor's scarf, 7th Doctor's umbrella (right now I have his key, but the umbrella is more well known), or the 3rd Doctor's materialization circuit. I haven't really thought about the 5th or 6th Doctor's items. I really don't want to go with the 6th's jacket... ugh (even if it's his most famous or infamous item). I would say his sonic lance, but it was from one story.

The ring is the only thing I can think of from the 1st Doctor... other than doing something as big as his jacket (which could be mistaken by some for the 2nd Doctor).
I've got a bunch of that stuff either finished, on the bench, or rolling around in my head. One of these days I'm going to have to get off my ass and get the half-finished stuff done and do a show-off thread for my Who collection.

Interesting, I hadn't even remembered his ring till I read this thread. That would be pretty cool to replicate. Perhaps it was like that ring that I won't mention for fear of revealing spoilers...

The umbrella isn't that hard to make. I found instruction on the old Dr. Who Prop builder's forums (now defunct.)

Umbrellamk1.jpg

It's just an acrylic rod heated up and bent around a wooden form. I realized that it's actually fairly similar to a lightsaber. So I thought i'd combine the two ideas.

Umbrellamk2.jpg

Sorry, to pull this off topic.

Andy
I really do need a 7 umbrella one of these days.

And I have to say the lightsaber version is kinda snazzy.

The above ref'ed instructions on how to make a 7th doctor umbrella are posted here in my 7th Doctor breakdown:
http://community.livejournal.com/dw_cosplay/143161.html

And I am helping organizing a group run of these umbrellas using said instructions for those who don't have the tools/experience to make one. Cost is $90.00 per umbrella. The first run of 10 is shipping this month. Another batch of 10 will follow in Feb assuming all goes well with this first run. Shoot me your e-mail if interested.
http://community.livejournal.com/dw_cosplay/225148.html
Wickerness- Have you gotten any of my e-mail update son the umbrella run? I haven't heard back from you and wanted to see if you were still confirmed on the run or if you were dropping out.

As for rings- I think the 3rd Doctor occasionally wore two rings but he mainly wore the one pinky ring which was in fact a an Athene greek Coin Pertwee found on a wrecked ship while he was scuba diving in the 50's. He liked the coin so much he had it made into that ring, so it was his personal ring he wore. Much like Troughton's Hush Puppies were his personal shoes. Anyway you can find affordable repros of the coin and even greek coin rings on ebay. So it's an easy addition.

http://community.livejournal.com/dw_cosplay/369533.html#cutid1

As for best identifiable prop for the First Doctor I wouldn't think is the ring or the coat but the wood spiral cane he usually used in Season 1. Failing that maybe the black fleece wool Ambassador hat or possibly the cloak. I had a very nice repro of the cane made by a chap I found on ebay for $150. You can find his info and pics here:
http://community.livejournal.com/dw_cosplay/237904.html#cutid1

Wickerness- Have you gotten any of my e-mail update son the umbrella run? I haven't heard back from you and wanted to see if you were still confirmed on the run or if you were dropping out.

As for best identifiable prop for the First Doctor I wouldn't think is the ring or the coat but the wood spiral cane he usually used in Season 1.

E-mail sent... definitely interested.

I would like to get the cane some day, but I may have to go with the ring because it's smaller.

E-mail sent... definitely interested.

I would like to get the cane some day, but I may have to go with the ring because it's smaller.

Got your e-mail thanks for confirming!

The cane isn't much to store but if you're worried about how to display it, then I understand.

Got your e-mail thanks for confirming!

The cane isn't much to store but if you're worried about how to display it, then I understand.

I was thinking more on how much it would cost... I figured the ring would be cheaper.

Though after looking at the cane on ebay... I may end up going after it before the ring. I just don't know when... 150 bucks is a bit much right now with everything else I have on my plate. The ? umbrella is higher on my list right now.

I hear you. Gotta prioritize the props and costumes. And sadly Hartnell always gets the least love out of all of the Doctors IMHO.

Unless you count Cushing - which I know Jet Beetle strongly does.

I hear you. Gotta prioritize the props and costumes. And sadly Hartnell always gets the least love out of all of the Doctors IMHO.

Unless you count Cushing - which I know Jet Beetle strongly does.

Well I have been on the list for the umbrellas longer than I've known where to get the cane.

Personally Hartnell is one of my favorites. His era has the second most time in, only to be topped by Tom Baker. Of course that's due to serials and not how many stories there was. Otherwise Tennant would have beat him and TB.
The only problem is that so much of his era is lost and I wasn't in the right country or born yet to see them when they aired.

The other bad thing as far as props goes... I just drew a blank when it came to what props he used. I needed to go back & watch the dvds I have more. I remember the glasses he used like binoculars (don't remember the name off hand), but other than that I don't remember him using that many gadgets. His hat and cane weren't always used. Bad thing about the hat would be getting one my size and I doubt it's one I would wear much. Nothing against the Doctor, but it's not my style. McCoy was the only one to actually keep his hat on most of the time.
Getting a better look at the cane makes me appreciate it more.

Wasn't something special mentioned about his ring in a story once or am I just remembering things wrong?

As for Cushing... Well to me he's Dr. Who and not The Doctor. He's the only reason I even watch those movies... even if they are just altered remakes of Hartnell stories.

All this talk about the First Doctor makes me want watch The Five Doctors again to see if his cane is different. To me Hurndall is one that gets the least love. I always thought he did a good job and that it was a tribute to Hartnell. I loved the idea that they had the First Doctor figure things out in the end.

Well I have been on the list for the umbrellas longer than I've known where to get the cane.

Personally Hartnell is one of my favorites. His era has the second most time in, only to be topped by Tom Baker. Of course that's due to serials and not how many stories there was. Otherwise Tennant would have beat him and TB.
The only problem is that so much of his era is lost and I wasn't in the right country or born yet to see them when they aired.

The other bad thing as far as props goes... I just drew a blank when it came to what props he used. I needed to go back & watch the dvds I have more. I remember the glasses he used like binoculars (don't remember the name off hand), but other than that I don't remember him using that many gadgets. His hat and cane weren't always used. Bad thing about the hat would be getting one my size and I doubt it's one I would wear much. Nothing against the Doctor, but it's not my style. McCoy was the only one to actually keep his hat on most of the time.
Getting a better look at the cane makes me appreciate it more.

Wasn't something special mentioned about his ring in a story once or am I just remembering things wrong?

As for Cushing... Well to me he's Dr. Who and not The Doctor. He's the only reason I even watch those movies... even if they are just altered remakes of Hartnell stories.

All this talk about the First Doctor makes me want watch The Five Doctors again to see if his cane is different. To me Hurndall is one that gets the least love. I always thought he did a good job and that it was a tribute to Hartnell. I loved the idea that they had the First Doctor figure things out in the end.

Totally understand. Better to se the umbrella through first.

Counting stories and longest Doctor depends. On pure stories with novels and Audios McGann should win by default closely followed by McCoy. Sticking to TV stories Tennant comes close but he doe snot topple the almighty Tom Baker (37 stories to Baker's 41 or 42 if you count Shada). And by episodes and seasons and sheer year sin the role Baker still wins. And seeing as he was my first and still favorite Doctor I'm inclined to vote anyway which keeps Baker on top.

to me Hartnell's best props are the cane , then the monocle, and then maybe the ring or hat & cloak. But the last two while nice weren't worn all that often. An Ambassador black fleece wool hat isn't too hard to find on ebay but yes not realy something for everyday wear.

While it's shame Hartnell has some missing episodes at least he have 2/3rd of his run (unlike troughton were the opposite is true) and out of the mostly missing third season, I feel the only two major gems we can't fully see are The massacre and The Dalek masterplan.

Jet Beetle has a very well thought out theory on why Cushing is canon even though any Who fan can clearly see he's just filling in for Hartnell in some remakes of the serials. Although he thinks McGann should not be canon. Different strokes...

Hat wise I think Baker deserves a mention as he did wear his (or one of his) fairly often- enough that a nice wide brimmed floppy hat seems to always complete his silouette nicely. Arguably Davison too.

It is fitting yet odd the 1st doctor is the 'smartest' one of the lot in both the three and five doctors.. He's visibly the oldest yet he's the 'youngest' so why would he know more than the later doctors who clearly have more experience and more knowledge?

Don't recall anything special on the ring background/story wise. But it has been a while since i've watched his stories.

Anyway Hurndall does not use the same cane. it's a simple straight black cane if I recall- though I had heard Hartnell's spiral cane is one of the earliest surviving Who props which was shown at a UK exhibition sometime back but more than probably is in BBC storage or in private hands snow.

Totally understand. Better to se the umbrella through first.

Counting stories and longest Doctor depends. On pure stories with novels and Audios McGann should win by default closely followed by McCoy. Sticking to TV stories Tennant comes close but he doe snot topple the almighty Tom Baker (37 stories to Baker's 41 or 42 if you count Shada). And by episodes and seasons and sheer year sin the role Baker still wins. And seeing as he was my first and still favorite Doctor I'm inclined to vote anyway which keeps Baker on top.

to me Hartnell's best props are the cane , then the monocle, and then maybe the ring or hat & cloak. But the last two while nice weren't worn all that often. An Ambassador black fleece wool hat isn't too hard to find on ebay but yes not realy something for everyday wear.

While it's shame Hartnell has some missing episodes at least he have 2/3rd of his run (unlike troughton were the opposite is true) and out of the mostly missing third season, I feel the only two major gems we can't fully see are The massacre and The Dalek masterplan.

Jet Beetle has a very well thought out theory on why Cushing is canon even though any Who fan can clearly see he's just filling in for Hartnell in some remakes of the serials. Although he thinks McGann should not be canon. Different strokes...

Hat wise I think Baker deserves a mention as he did wear his (or one of his) fairly often- enough that a nice wide brimmed floppy hat seems to always complete his silouette nicely. Arguably Davison too.

It is fitting yet odd the 1st doctor is the 'smartest' one of the lot in both the three and five doctors.. He's visibly the oldest yet he's the 'youngest' so why would he know more than the later doctors who clearly have more experience and more knowledge?

Don't recall anything special on the ring background/story wise. But it has been a while since i've watched his stories.

Anyway Hurndall does not use the same cane. it's a simple straight black cane if I recall- though I had heard Hartnell's spiral cane is one of the earliest surviving Who props which was shown at a UK exhibition sometime back but more than probably is in BBC storage or in private hands snow.

I was just counting televised stories and I did count Shada. I mainly say "story" because of the serial format of the classic show.

I miscounted Tennant's stories. Forgot about his multiparters, but had different names (unlike the serial days). I mainly mentioned how many stories because I think people forget that Harnell had so much time put in, because he had some really long stories (a lot of parts). Ya Tom Baker tops him, but he should since he had 7 seasons in.

I always have held Harnell up a bit higher than the others because he was the first. I also hold Troughton up high because he was the first to take over for someone. I think both get a bad rap because of their stories being in b&w. Some say kids won't watch their stories, but my 10 year old's favorite Doctor is Trougton and his favorite story is Tomb Of The Cybermen.

Don't get me wrong... I like Tom Baker and his hat, but even in just one story like Robot... he has his hat off more than he has it on. Sometimes he uses it more like a prop than a piece of his costume. It seems like he crushes his hat and shoves it in his jacket more than it's on his head. Same can be said about Davison. Pertwee wears a hat in the early ones, but I think he takes it off quite a bit too (I need to go back and watch more of them again). Yes I do agree TB should get mentioned when it comes to the hat... they did make to different heads for his figure (with and without hat). It's just McCoy tops everyone with how much he wears his hat. Of course it would be easier to count when TB doesn't have his scarf on than his hat.

As far as the 1st Doctor knowing more... Maybe something is lost during regeneration or maybe something was repressed during the regenerations and doesn't pop back up until the 7th. Who knows... I just thought it was a nice tip of the hat.

I don't know what Jet Beetle stated, but I doubt that I could agree. If you watch the movies... Dr. Who is human... not half-human, but human. McGann is canon and they've established it over and over again. I think McGann just doesn't get a fair shake. You can't judge a Doctor by one televised story. No more than you could judge a sports team by one game (win or lost).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back