Doctor Who - Custom Adipose Display

Pete SSS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd share a little weekend project I finished up recently.

I got one of the Adipose stress toys at Christmas. For £7 its a fun little replica and is pretty accurate to the weird little fat babies on screen.

Anyone who has one of these will know that they don't look so good for long, a few squeezes and one careless drop on the carpet and these things get COVERED with dust and fuzz.

So I wanted to encase mine in a little taxidermy style glass dome to try and fight the dust. Because of the stubby shape of this little fella, it is difficult to find a glass dome which wasn't far too tall.

I was looking for the domes that cover those spinning anniversary clocks, and came across a really cheap one on ebay. Because it was such a rubbish one it came with an acrylic dome, not a glass one. Nice and easy to cut to size!

So a few bits from the workshop later, (a thick oak disc, some acrylic and some thin perforated steel from inside a stereo) and I have this little, almost steampunky, Adipose display.

AdiposeDisplay04.jpg

AdiposeDisplay03.jpg

Here it is with my MFX, and a similar display I put together for an old Trilobite fossil that's been getting dusty for years.

AdiposeDisplay02.jpg

I'd like to get some brass name tags etched for these too at some point, but that will have to wait a bit longer

I've also got a little work in progress diary up on my new blog if you'd like to see a few more photos.

Standing Stone Studios Updates Blog

Well, there it is, just a quickie,

Last edited:
What is the thing they're all sat on? Looks great and really adds to the antique look, especially of the sonic screwdriver and the trilobite.

What is the thing they're all sat on? Looks great and really adds to the antique look, especially of the sonic screwdriver and the trilobite.

Thanks "antiquey" , it's kind of the theme I'm going for. My interests are so varied that I want to try to tie them together with the displays.

The box these bits are sitting on is an old tool chest that belonged to my grandad. I found covered in oil and dust a couple of years ago, I cleaned it up and now it sits on my desk housing scalpels, rulers, tapes, styrene, all sorts.

AdiposeDisplay05.jpg

I ordered a little brass name plaque for the Adipose yesterday, so I'll see how it looks when it arrives. If I like it I'll start ordering matching plaques for my other pieces too.

I've just got around to taking some pics of the little brass plaque I recieved last week. It looks great in real life, but because I bent it to fit the curve of the base, it's a bugger to photograph!

AdiposeDisplay08.jpg

AdiposeDisplay07.jpg

AdiposeDisplay06.jpg

I think I'm going to order a few more of these tags for some other pieces, they add a nice "full stop" (or "period" for our stateside cousins) to the displays.

Last edited:
I got one of those for my wife, cute little buggers they are but you're right they're total fluff magnets!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back