DIY Back to the Future 2 Jacket

I found a really good "waist and sleeve collar" for $6 at Home Depot.

3" plastic flexable tubing!!!

I just used some shears and...

I found a really good "waist and sleeve collar" for $6 at Home Depot.

3" plastic flexable tubing!!!

I just used some shears and...

That's a really nice find! Much better than foam. I'm going to implement this into the jackets I will sell. Thank you. But I do have a little tip. Could you use a heat gun to press the tubing down flat? It's too rounded, being half of a tube and all.

Not sure. It's made of ADS. it actually is as round as you'd think.

I think it would be worth a try. It would be much more accurate if it does. I myself don't have a heat gun, so if heat does help flatten it then I would probably have to hover it over the stove or something lol.

And there's a lip on the end of the jacket that I'm using that's elastic and whatnot, and I used about 1 5/8 inches wide piece of foam to cover that. You'll see when you get your jacket.

I have a feeling that this stuff would be pretty toxic to heat up. Good luck.

BTW, how wide are the waist and cuffs on this jacket?

Oh then nevermind lol. And the belt is 1 5/8 inches and the cuffs are 1 3/4 inches. They're a little wider than the movie, but only because I wanted them to cover up the velcro cuffs already on the jacket.

Could you let it sit in boiling water for a bit to reshape it rather than applying direct heat?

That would be a lot of tubing to fit into a pot. The belt will be one long piece, but I guess it would work. You probably couldn't leave it in for long because it might melt or distort too much.

No no no, your not thinking 4th dimensionally.

My attack to this great find would be to first get it flattened out as Mitas mentioned. I'm thinking clamping it between some 2x4's and applying heat from a heat gun could work well. This way, you can put the whole length in and get it done at once. Then, if the results were good, make a mold of the full length and then cast in rubber. I have been looking for what I think the original was, and I think it was a type of leach line similar to what they use in the star trek movies and shows. I have not been able to find a small thin type like the one on the jacket but unless I can come up with a better alternative I would like to try and find that. My jacket hasn't even come in yet but i'm just trying to come up with the ideas first. The only thing I have no idea what to do with are the spring sleeves.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back