Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Wyoming, Michigan
    Nov 3, 2009, 3:09 PM - Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #1

Found this on youtube... the unaired and unsold 1967 pilot to a Dick Tracy TV series, done by those same folks that brought us Batman and The Green Hornet, the Dick Tracy pilot starred Ray MacDonnel as Tracy, Victor Buono as "Memory Master" and had a theme song by The Ventures! How could you go wrong!

Just go to youtube and search for Dick Tracy Pilot, and you can watch it.

My personal interest was sparked by the fleetingly short close up of the Wrist TV. Here are a couple shots I captured from the pilot... grainy, but cool.

Might be a fun project to tackle, to go along with the movie wrist communicator.
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 3, 2009, 3:16 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #2

Cool find
    From
    u.k.
    Nov 3, 2009, 4:55 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #3

i wonder what the smallest mp4 player is
    it could serve as a base so the screen could function
    and look like a working com
    just a thought
    Nov 3, 2009, 5:07 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #4

It's funny that it's important to see who you are talking to. I can see how a Vid-Phon would be cool for talking to friends or family but otherwise ain't it kind of a waste of technology? Yeck! I don't want to see my coworkers any more than I have to.
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Wyoming, Michigan
    Nov 4, 2009, 7:50 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #5

shuktuki said: View Post
    i wonder what the smallest mp4 player is
    it could serve as a base so the screen could function
    and look like a working com
    just a thought
    That sounds like a fun idea! I'm checking out some of the cheap players tomorrow... usually the cheaper the player, the smaller the screen. I'm estimating about 1 by 2 inches for the prop... we'll see.
  6. Member Since
    Dec 2003
    From
    Vandergrift,PA
    Nov 4, 2009, 8:15 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #6

At first glance a cable splitter came to mind,but this was way before cable!
  7. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Wyoming, Michigan
    Nov 4, 2009, 9:47 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #7

TheSt.LouisKid said: View Post
    It's funny that it's important to see who you are talking to. I can see how a Vid-Phon would be cool for talking to friends or family but otherwise ain't it kind of a waste of technology? Yeck! I don't want to see my coworkers any more than I have to.
    Yeah, I never understood that one, either. I really have no desire to make sure i look my best... or at least presentable before I answer the phone.

And sometimes technology seems to take a step backward. I mean, the phone lets you TALK to other people... yet so many people I know use their phones to TYPE to each other much more often than talk! I'll never understand that one.
    Nov 5, 2009, 3:31 AM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #8

TheSt.LouisKid said: View Post
    Yeah, a video-phone makes it pretty hard to call in sick when you're out trout fishing, or having a really good weekend at a vegas craps table.....um, no, boss- the woman wearing feathers is my nurse! yeah, my nurse.........
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Nov 5, 2009, 1:27 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #9

Looks like something done by paint by numbers here a long time ago.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Nov 5, 2009, 10:51 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #10

Love the painted silver valve stem covers as knobs.

I read an interview with Chester Gould where he said that his original idea for the two-way wrist radio, was as a two-way wrist tv radio, but the syndicate would only let him do it as a radio. They thought that the wrist tv radio was too wild.

David.
  11. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Wyoming, Michigan
    Nov 5, 2009, 11:26 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #11

Krel said: View Post
    Love the painted silver valve stem covers as knobs.

I read an interview with Chester Gould where he said that his original idea for the two-way wrist radio, was as a two-way wrist tv radio, but the syndicate would only let him do it as a radio. They thought that the wrist tv radio was too wild.

David.
    I know that the wrist TV did show up in the comics, but not until 1964, right around the time the series became a science fiction/space opera.
    From
    Terra Inlandia
    Nov 7, 2009, 1:56 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #12

Jaruemalak said: View Post
    Found this on youtube... the unaired and unsold 1967 pilot to a Dick Tracy TV series, done by those same folks that brought us Batman and The Green Hornet, the Dick Tracy pilot starred Ray MacDonnel as Tracy, Victor Buono as "Memory Master" and had a theme song by The Ventures! How could you go wrong!
    Heck, that would have been worth watching for Victor Buono alone. He was always a joy.

shotts63 said: View Post
    At first glance a cable splitter came to mind,but this was way before cable!
    There was cable then, actually, but it was used mainly for bringing the same half-dozen broadcast channels found in most markets into areas with poor/no reception. The cable-only and satellite channels wouldn't come until much later, but in 1967 cable splitters had already been around in one form or another for years, used originally in shortwave radio applications.

Jaruemalak said: View Post
    I know that the wrist TV did show up in the comics, but not until 1964, right around the time the series became a science fiction/space opera.
    Right about the time I first started reading Dick Tracy, apparently -- I don't really remember the wrist TV ever not being in the strip.
  13. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Nov 7, 2009, 1:59 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #13

Is that what those knobs on the right-side are ? I thought they looked like those metal covers for the erasers on mechanical pencils.
  14. RPF Premium Member agliarept's Avatar
    From
    New Jersey
    Feb 16, 2010, 3:24 PM - Re: Dick Tracy Wrist TV from 1967 unsold pilot #14

dang that looks like a nice made watch. would be awesome to have a replica of that.