Dick Tracy movie watch - information thread

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am working with someone right now to have some accurate replicas made of the Dick Tracy movie watch and wanted to see what information I could gather for making a replica.
Right now, our focus is on accuracy and quality which is why I wanted to bring this up here first instead of the JY.
I do need a little help from my fellow RPF members. I have a few screen caps of the watch that I sent along to the persons who will be making these, but was hoping to know if anyone knows if there are any archival photos of the screen-used watch floating around?
The only part of the movie that we see a good shot of the watch is a closeup on it when Tracy is talking in it. Other than that there is not much else.
Any help here would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dick Tracy movie watch - interest thread

I am def going to make sure if they get made they function as real watches. Sadly, no two-way radio function!

Wow. Thats a tough one. I'll keep an eye out.

I'm definitely interested in one as well.

I have seen Dick Tracy watch threads on here, with pics. I'll see if I can find anything. (Not saying they are the end all, be all when it comes to information, but its a good thing to see if you havn't).

Power to you and this would be something of great interest to me as well.

Last edited:
I KNEW I had a pic in my files:

tracy-watch.png

I fear time telling capability would drive the price of such a piece 5 fold. Wish there could be an option!

Well, if the General's doesn't have works in it, it looks like it'd be a simple thing to get a vintage watch of a similar shape and bash it in. A pair of channel locks and a cement chisel and a ball peen hammer and Bob's your uncle!

The Dick Tracy costume and watch was on display for a long time at Disney MGM studios if FL. I took some photos I'll look around for them.

There was an official watch made from the film version. I just pulled it out and its really nice looking. I'll take some photos tomorrow. It play quotes from the film but mine never worked.

Jim

I am def going to make sure if they get made they function as real watches. Sadly, no two-way radio function!

Why the hell not? I mean, with Bluetooth technology being what it is, I'd be surprised if we couldn't have a fully functional one (even if it was just a Bluetooth speakerphone).

Gene

I too have an official movie watch. It has several innacuracies (and the voice on mine does not work either) but it is still very nice and VERY rare. Haven't seen one of these for sale in years!
My intent here is to ensure that a faithfull movie replica is made, so any information will be helpfull.
I have already stressed the importance of actual watch functionality to the individuals who will be taking on the project (I don't want these even made if it cannot tell time - or at least me modified to do so)
I should be getting some design plans for my approval soon - at which point, I will post them here to get everyones opinion before I move on to getting a prototype made.
Oh - and here is a picture of my official movie watch:
watch5.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back