Despicable Me 2 - The Jelly Gun

Daniel Nelms

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I have been working off an on to designing Gru's Jelly gun from Despicable me 2. This is an on going project so I will post updates here.

Attached here is a screenshot of how it is looking so far.

JG-SS.jpg

I am designing it to be 3D printable, I think I can make it look pretty spot on with a good paint job when it's all done. It still needs a lot of work but it's a start.

Jellyguns.png

One thing I am stuck on is where to find the glass jars. They aren't standard mason jars, if you look close you'll see that they aren't round but in a hexagon knind of pattern. If anyone knows where I could find such a jar let me know.

I plan on making the "jelly" by using water absorbing polymer beads and a mix of food coloring, I might also but in a small LED to really set off the look of the "jelly".

I think I can chrome up that parts that need it and use a dark metallic spray paint on the rest, shine, and buff it out.

Let me know what you think! I don't believe anybody has done this yet.

very interesting and make it so :p .
Great movie and an interesting project. I will be following this build :cool

Awesome!!! Right now I'm working on the Fart Gun for Halloween. I thought about building this, but the Fart Gun is just so iconic. Awesome movies, I'm hoping for Despicable Me 3.

Yeah I guess hexagon is the wrong word, maybe octagon looks more like the picture? I found this here http://www.sciplus.com/p/10-OZ-OCTAGON-GLASS-BOTTLES_54588

The fart gun should be cool! I saw a little toy one at target yesterday :D

My plan is to make two of these, one for each of my daughters. My hope is I can paint and polish all the parts to look metallic just like in the movie. I'll post pictures as I go for everybody to see.

May I ask why you printed the tube parts? Wouldn't it be far easier to use tubing of the correct dimensions and design the printed parts to fit it?

Just because it was easier for me to scale it in software to get it exactly how I wanted it, Im doing all the finishing work and making molds as I go so I can make resin copies.

IMG_2202.JPG
That's the jar I ended up finding. I haven't built the jar mount yet so I just sat it on top so you could get an idea of what it looks like. It's filled with water absorbing polymer beads, water, and purple food coloring.

It's been awhile since I updated the thread but I have been a busy little bee! It's almost complete and I made molds out of all my original 3d printed parts.
It's just missing a few more greeblies which I painted this morning and are out back drying. This one here is resin cast, and finished just in time for Halloween as my daughter is going as a minion. I'll post more pictures soon and will likely do a limited run if anybody is interested.

IMG_2405.jpgIMG_2400.jpgIMG_2402.jpgIMG_2406.jpg

Here are more pictures after adding the other greeblies.

I added a bright red barrel plug which is removable because my daughter will be carrying this around while in costume as a minion and I want to make sure that nobody would for any reason mistake this for a real firearm (yes theres plenty of stupid to go around).

IMG_2408.jpgIMG_2409.jpgIMG_2410.jpgIMG_2411.jpgIMG_2412.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back