Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    From
    Michigan
    Dec 26, 2008, 10:25 AM - Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #1

Was the Little Orphan Annie Decoder ring used in the movie Christmas Story a actual piece or made up prop? I seen a few on ebay, but they dont resemble the one in the film.
  2. "Don't be a fool" RPF Premium Member Cenobyte's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, Ca
    Dec 26, 2008, 12:12 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #2

SHIMKO said: View Post
    Was the Little Orphan Annie Decoder ring used in the movie Christmas Story a actual piece or made up prop? I seen a few on ebay, but they dont resemble the one in the film.

Someone should chime in soon with the website that is selling them.

AFAIK they were the same.
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Dec 26, 2008, 12:20 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #3

Cenobyte said: View Post
    Someone should chime in soon with the website that is selling them.

AFAIK they were the same.
    See this site.

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/
    Dec 26, 2008, 12:29 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #4

5. Official Licensee RPF Premium Member replicaprops's Avatar
    From
    Liberty Hill TEXAS
    Dec 26, 2008, 12:34 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #5

The decoder ring in the movie had a date engraved on it. That site shows a photo with no date
    From
    Santa Rosa
    Dec 26, 2008, 12:41 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #6

All those old radio premiums ( Captain Midnight, Dick tracy, etc.) would have newly designed decoders, handbooks, member cards, etc each year.
    Here's a page about Annie's: http://www.radioarchives.org/annie/

I didn't realize that repros were being sold at a reasonable price. I'll have to keep checking back.

The Wolf
    Dec 26, 2008, 1:57 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #7

The Wolf said: View Post
    All those old radio premiums ( Captain Midnight, Dick tracy, etc.) would have newly designed decoders, handbooks, member cards, etc each year.
    Here's a page about Annie's: http://www.radioarchives.org/annie/

I didn't realize that repros were being sold at a reasonable price. I'll have to keep checking back.

The Wolf
    Great link!! Thanks!

They have the movie style one on there near the bottom.

FB
  8. RPF Premium Member jcoffman99's Avatar
    From
    Western Maryland
    Dec 27, 2008, 8:55 AM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #8

If you buy the one from the Christmas Story house site, it doesn't match up with the movie, but it's still a fun little piece.
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 29, 2010, 4:58 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #9

jcoffman99 said: View Post
    If you buy the one from the Christmas Story house site, it doesn't match up with the movie, but it's still a fun little piece.
    Correct, the scale is off. The originals are larger (I own both), and on the back, instead of the serial number and the year of manufacture, it has a Christmas Story House logo.
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Sep 29, 2010, 5:59 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #10

The Wolf said: View Post
    Here's a page about Annie's: RadioArchives.com

The Wolf
    Thanks for that awesome link One of my favorite Christmas films
  11. RPF Premium Member Funky Jedi's Avatar
    From
    Tulsa Okie-dokie
    Sep 29, 2010, 6:35 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #11

I have a repro one as well. It's not a ring but a pin (or badge of sorts).
  12. P.I.F.? IT'S ALIVE!!!! RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Sep 29, 2010, 9:08 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #12

You can pick up originals on Ebay all the time. Just type in Little Orphan Annie 1940 Decoder pin and you can buy one. i bought an original for $49, but they can go as high as $150.
  13. propologist is offline propologist
    Sep 29, 2010, 11:15 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #13

Moviefreak said: View Post
    You can pick up originals on Ebay all the time. Just type in Little Orphan Annie 1940 Decoder pin and you can buy one. i bought an original for $49, but they can go as high as $150.
    yeah they are all over , but like most just don't buy from mid oct through Jan. because prices are sky high. I have collected " a christmas story" fpr years and love the dept 56 things from SEARS...
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 30, 2010, 12:44 AM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #14

I'm working on a some ACS stuff right now. Have Zeppelin, bowling trophy, tank, Simoniz, decoders, big little books, magazines, rifles, script, leg lamp, and am working on the console radio.
    Sep 30, 2010, 8:00 AM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #15

whoever said: View Post
    I'm working on a some ACS stuff right now. Have Zeppelin, bowling trophy, tank, Simoniz, decoders, big little books, magazines, rifles, script, leg lamp, and am working on the console radio.
    Post some pics...would love to see what you got. LOVE that movie!
  16. P.I.F.? IT'S ALIVE!!!! RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Sep 30, 2010, 12:29 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #16

I have hunted around for the Zeppelin, but no luck. Is your screen accurate? I bought two old console radios, but they are not accurate. One was bought in Cleveland back in the early 1990's.... it would have been cool if I came to find out it was the one used in the movie... but sadly it is not.
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 30, 2010, 12:55 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #17

Moviefreak said: View Post
    I have hunted around for the Zeppelin, but no luck. Is your screen accurate?
    Mine is a screen accurate piece, but it is missing the front wheels, as well as the rear propeller mechanism. They are rare as hen's teeth, and I missed out on a more-complete one as the price was simply too high.

Here is mine:

I bought two old console radios, but they are not accurate. One was bought in Cleveland back in the early 1990's.... it would have been cool if I came to find out it was the one used in the movie... but sadly it is not.
    Its not an American Radio. The interiors were shot in Canada, which is where most of the interior props were sourced. I'm having difficulty reaching a shipping solution on the console radio right now.

I need to put together a small light box and shoot the whole collection one of these days, but here are some more of what I've got.

Mother's Look Magazine.

The bowling Trophy (it had a frosting spray applied in the movie so you wouldn't see the reflection of the stage crew):

The magazine from the coffee table:

The correct size major award.

Here is an original 1983 Christmas Dream rifle:

I have a 20th anniversary edition, and two 25th anniversary editions, one of which is singed by Ms. Shields, Scut Farkus, Grover Dill, Randy, Black Bart, and Flick.

A few pics, one of black bart, signed, and one of the two elves, signed by both.

Two of the Big Little books from Ms. Shield's drawer:

Tank from the Higbee's display (mine doesn't spark anymore as the strikers are worn, but it moves under its own power.. or atleast did when I bought it):

I've got a signed Script as well.

And Ms. Shield's book on the movie:

And some random stuff from the convention:

I don't have pics of the decoders online, but I have 2 replicas and one original.

I've identified the big-little book on Ralphie's desk in his room when he's writing his theme, but no reasonably priced ones have come up lately. I'd like to try my hand at resin casting, and do a screen-accurate lifebouy soap out of red resin. I'd also like to try my hand at the fabricated Red Ryder ad on the back of the Boy's Life magazine which Ralphie slips into his mother's Look magazine. I'll probably require help with that however.

And Higbee's. I couldn't fit the Brass Plaque in my carry on.

Last edited by whoever; Sep 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM.
  18. propologist is offline propologist
    Sep 30, 2010, 2:45 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #18

very cool...saw those images on the Christmas story board. I look off and on for some of the props like that but never too serious unless it's out of the holidays. I had bought a script years ago and gotten Bob Clark to sign before his death . Still need a couple of the cast but don't really want to fight the holiday crowd..lol

several years ago I tracks Robert Taunbaum ( sp) down to sign my original poster..great artist for sure.

Who made the tank..that is one I would like to find..
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 30, 2010, 2:55 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #19

propologist said: View Post
    very cool...saw those images on the Christmas story board. I look off and on for some of the props like that but never too serious unless it's out of the holidays. I had bought a script years ago and gotten Bob Clark to sign before his death . Still need a couple of the cast but don't really want to fight the holiday crowd..lol
    I was saddened when he and his son were killed in that accident. Great man.

several years ago I tracks Robert Taunbaum ( sp) down to sign my original poster..great artist for sure.
    I would love to do that. Any info you could provide on him?

Who made the tank..that is one I would like to find..
    It is a Marx. They are hard to find in good condition (and very expensive if you do). There were also two different styles which varied slightly, around the front of the tank. This one is the screen-accurate version.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 1, 2010, 3:43 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #20

As I had the camera out, here's how I'm currently displaying a portion of the props.

Oct 1, 2010, 4:34 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #21

VERY COOL. Love that movie..so I really appreciate you showing those props...seemed like better times in those days....
  22. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 2, 2010, 11:14 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #22

Thanks. Obviously the movie holds a special place in my heart.

Took a few pics of the decoders side by side.

Oct 2, 2010, 11:42 PM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #23

Great collection, thanks for sharing. Here is my display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christmas Story 2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	35322  
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 3, 2010, 9:19 AM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #24

yt said: View Post
    Great collection, thanks for sharing. Here is my display.
    I'm planning something similar to show off my 4 Christmas Dream rifles. I'm thinking build a shadowbox out of a hardwood, dovetail it together, build a face-frame with a lexan inset, felt field, the rifles, some pics, a target, and the red ryder ad from the back of the boy's life from the beginning of the movie. I've started to piece the ad together (it was fabricated) from original red ryder content, however the two red-ryder graphics on it appear to have been drawn specifically for the movie, and don't match anything available on vintage ads or comics.
  25. P.I.F.? IT'S ALIVE!!!! RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Oct 3, 2010, 10:47 AM - Re: Decoder Ring from Christmas Story #25

I'm planning something similar to show off my 4 Christmas Dream rifles. I'm thinking build a shadowbox out of a hardwood, dovetail it together, build a face-frame with a lexan inset, felt field, the rifles, some pics, a target, and the red ryder ad from the back of the boy's life from the beginning of the movie. I've started to piece the ad together (it was fabricated) from original red ryder content, however the two red-ryder graphics on it appear to have been drawn specifically for the movie, and don't match anything available on vintage ads or comics.
    If I can remember correctly, the Christmas Story House gift shop sold prints of that Ad on nice paper in hi resolution, suitable for framing. I bought one and have to dig it out of a box to check if it is the same one.