Alright, so I had made a Guy Manuel helmet in the past, but after really taking a look back at it, I realized it was very big, bulky and had a few imperfections.
Also, Supercon was coming up and that's a local event for me, so I decided I wanted to cosplay as Guy Manuel, but I didn't want to just whip up one of my old casts and paint it, then wear it
No, I wanted a new sculpt
So with the workspace of 2 weeks, I embarked on sculpting the new Guy Manuel Tron Revised Helmet
I did use a pepakura base as I was in a time crunch, so thanks to Dung0bettle for the file.
I didn't take many pictures of the beginning stages, but you could tell from the pictures the work that was put into this baby!
Total amount of work I'd say would be around let's see.. 10 days of total work, and I worked on the helmet from 9:00 to around 15:00 - 16:00 every day, so that's around 6-7 hours a day, so what's that 60-70 work hours right? That's pretty accurate.
Anyway! Enough chit chat! Enjoy the photos!
These ear pucks were created using a small paper cylinder.
Bondo was poured in it and was later shaped used a dremel with a fine sanding drum.
They were both later cleaned up and spot putty was applied to fill those tiny holes.
MDF Ears were installed.
Notice the rear groove lines were cut in using a small balde a some sculpting tools.
Also, notice the grooves rooted in between the ear and the main body of the helmet.
I see a lot of projects go wrong because this small groove isn't placed.
Without it, it appears that the ears are sliding off the helmet. With the groove in place, you call tell the ears are part of the helmet, but it also shows where the main body stops and attaches to the ears.
Finally, Wet sanded and waxed.
Sleeping cozy for the molding process
I added an MDF bottom structure/lip for casting purposes.
On with the silicone!
The mothermold was made out Plasti-Paste.
And Finally! First casts!
For reference, I am 5' 11", weight 160 pounds and have a massive 23.5" melon head.
My friend has a 24.3" head and it fits him great as well.
The Tri-Guy Family
Completed Helmet, and ready for Supercon!
Sorry guys.. No chrome on this one yet "/
This paint really sucked, It ended up causing some tiny little bumps in certain areas of the helmet.
I ran into a small issue and that was that the helmet had a small gap betwwen the body and the visor at the top of the helmet, and that was because I pulled a visor out of the cast visor, trimmed out of formed over.
It caused the visor to not get the right size/shape.
This is now fixed as I have made a plaster cast out of the visor straight from the mold, so all my visors will have the right size
And visibility through the tinted visor.
And that's me wearing my helmet in Supercon.
Thanks for looking at this thread! I hope you like my build!
If you are interested, I will be selling lids off of this sculpt.
Look for the post in the "Junkyard" for more details
Edit: Here is the Junkyark post : http://www.therpf.com/f13/daft-punk-...helmet-154893/