Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First post updated with new shtuff!

fay3.jpg

fay2.jpg

fay1.jpg

IMG_0656_zpsw66ljkjs.jpg

IMG_0652_zpseooxjmce.jpg

First of all I'm VERY new to the RPF and I believe this is probably my first real prop I've shown off here. Any advice/criticism or comments is always welcome. Thanks for looking!
fairys022_zps19c7b288.jpg

fairys050sized_zps023a6184.jpg

fairys046sized_zps0950d216.jpg

fairys048sized_zpsc10fd8dd.jpg

Aaaand my newest addition: "Nibelung" the Malicious House Goblin! Sorry for the poor phone pics, but my camera died recently. He has a handmade cloak with gold buttons,a scarf,belt with some shineys( beads,pearl,rolled up parchment with writing on it ),a leather backpack with other rolled parchments in it,a sword, and a necklace with a gold leave pendant.
fairys025bsized_zps9f4c0f32.jpg

More picks to come as I finish it if anyone is interested
-Ben

Last edited:
Re: Cottingley Fairy Corpse

wow, that looks suitably creepy! :thumbsup
what was your inspiration for this?

Thanks,I'm a fan of any late 1800 -1920's era stuff,and I wanted to have a creepy more realistic prop for something that most people think of as cute.

I'm also a huge Lovecraft fan,so I'm always visiting Propnomicon's site for tutorials on new things that beginners like me can make,and I've come across a few on corpsing skeletons so I had to try it out on something small scale.

Nice, how did you do the skin?

I had a skeleton that I cleaned up and wrapped plastic wrap around and then just shrink wrapped it with a heat gun.Then I put gel stain on it and wiped off the excess and then put a few differant light acrylic laters over the high spots to give the wrinkles more depth and then brushed chalk over it to take down the gloss a bit and make it dusty. It's actually not as glossy as the photo makes it look,I'm just a crappy photographer. I'll take some glamour shots of it when it's all done,hehe.

how stiff is the plastic wrap skin after you have shrinked it? Does it become hard or is it lose?

how stiff is the plastic wrap skin after you have shrinked it? Does it become hard or is it lose?

It does get some hard raised wrinkles but the majority of it is still very flexible.It looks pretty gross at the joints when you move the limbs around (gets lots of wrinkle folds) .

I've tried tissue with latex also,but there's not as much transparent depth in the skin.

Lovely, unique, excellently crafted, gloriously gory ..... :cool

.... in a nutshell, I want it :lol

I have a certain mermaid I'd like it to meet :lol

On a 'serious' note, the first sentence above, was just that :):thumbsup

Lovely, unique, excellently crafted, gloriously gory ..... :cool

.... in a nutshell, I want it :lol

I have a certain mermaid I'd like it to meet :lol

On a 'serious' note, the first sentence above, was just that :):thumbsup

Ohh,you have a Fiji ! Nice,I need to find a well crafted one,or just make one up myself if I can't.Once Halloween rolls around I'll be stocking up on supplies to work on.I want to make a monkey paw too :)

You're welcome to have one of my Mummified Fairies when I complete a few more .They're pretty easy to make,and I enjoy it.

I'm not sure if there would be much interest in the JY , but I suppose I could give it a shot. Anything to support my prop collecting addiction!

I'm not sure if there would be much interest in the JY , but I suppose I could give it a shot. Anything to support my prop collecting addiction!

Are you a Jedifyfe student by any chance :lol ?

Part of Jedifyfe's (Brad, a well-established and highly respected member here) philosophy (and others I must add) regarding this hobby runs on exactly the same lines as your thinking above :):thumbsup

Oh and, yes, give it a shot in the JY. What do you have to loose :) ?

Very cool, love the look of it :) I may be interested if these do appear in the JY

Half way done with my second fairy and working on cleaning up my display box for the first.

My penmanship is rubbish,so I'm seeing if a friend has time to make up some maps of Cottingley ( Circa 1917-1920 ) and a letter from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's wife after he passed away in 1930 addressed to Frances Griffith ( one of the girls who took the pictures ) .

My first one in the picture was some fun work getting organs into,but I managed a shriveled up kidney or liver and some intestines in the lower cavity,and it looks like all of them will be pretty unique even using all the same techniques.

I got another 4 pack of skeletons today,which always take ALOT of cleanup work but I'm pretty picky I guess.I'll probably finish those up and then post them on the JY for ones to pick through in order of those who have already stated interest,and I have to figure what in the world to charge ( the least fun part of the process,but I gotta eat,and buy props,hehe )

Really, really cool!

Just a quibble, if I may. The hands would look much more authentic if the digits were curled in flexion. Nothing dies with its digits extended! Hit the plastic skeleton's hands with a heat gun to soften the fingers and curl them in, maybe, prior to "skinning?"

This is truly a tiny quibble about a beautiful piece of work.

Steve Harris

Really, really cool!

Just a quibble, if I may. The hands would look much more authentic if the digits were curled in flexion. Nothing dies with its digits extended! Hit the plastic skeleton's hands with a heat gun to soften the fingers and curl them in, maybe, prior to "skinning?"

This is truly a tiny quibble about a beautiful piece of work.

Steve Harris

Very true.No, it's not a tiny quibble at all.The hands and feet really stood out as looking very fake to me.Since taking the picture I nastied them up to match the texture with the rest of the body but I agree that it would look more authentic with curled up fingers.My other one I'm working on I did curl the fingers (looks like it's throwing gang signs,hehe) the hands are about 1/4 of an inch in size so it's fun stuff.

The hardest things by far are the eyes,ears,nose.They're so small I can only put so much detail into those little wrinkly things.

I've been working on trying some new things with the Fairies I've been making,and I finally worked out a way to get eyes into them! They look thoroughly creepy as hell in person,hehe. I still have some latex organs to put in this handsome little fellow and some slime to put on it.
f72e54fa.jpg
A little bit of a different look just by putting an extra wash of color under the gel stain coat.I have a great little antiqued coffin box to display him in too when I'm done :)

How did I miss this!?!?!

Those things are awesome. Love the old curio cabinet kind of displays with things like this.

Hehe,I did a little batch of them for the Junkyard, but they were all gone in a few hours. I'll hopefully get a bunch up before halloween! :D

How did I miss this!?!?!

Those things are awesome. Love the old curio cabinet kind of displays with things like this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back