Chrome paint?

Yodajammies

Sr Member
So I am absolutely in LOVE with the paintjob on kookoo's Iron man helm, and I was wondering if there was a cheaper? / simpler way to reproduce this effect.

Mk3-3.jpg

I've seen a couple sites for car paint/effects that sell a pretty convincing rattle-can chrome that runs nearly 40$/per. Surely this can be done for less.:redface

$40 a can tho...$115 if you get base and topcoat. I think at those prices you're verging on the same price as chroming on an inch for inch basis.

You can't handle the duplicolor chrome, I've used it on ton of stuff. You can't clear coat it either, it turns it gray.

Alclad is the best choice.

Seems we get the chrome paint question every once in a while, and I remember last time someone posting a high end alternative that was pretty pricey but had excellent results.

You can't handle the duplicolor chrome, I've used it on ton of stuff. You can't clear coat it either, it turns it gray.

Alclad is the best choice.

Seems we get the chrome paint question every once in a while, and I remember last time someone posting a high end alternative that was pretty pricey but had excellent results.

Good to know... Glad you caught that...

Duplicolor looks great though if you apply it in one thin coat over black, and don't plan on doing a lot of touching, or if you are after the worn away chrome look (which is what we ended up with on our film props) it's an affordable choice.

I don't recall the name brand, but if anyone here watches "Pimp my Ride" on MTV, this week had an episode where they painted this guy's car chrome ... the entire body. He was a HUGE Fantastic Four fan, so they were going for a Silver Surfer theme, and pulled it off great. The painter gave the name of the company that donated the paint, but I don't recall it off hand; it might be worth checking into.

Good luck,

ATM
ShackMan

Thanks Fett,

So how's your ironman build coming along?

I pulled the forearms for mine tonight. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have enough to warrant a thread. (eep)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back