Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Indiana
    Nov 26, 2007, 11:03 PM - Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #1

Just looked these up tonight!

Here are high end glass ones made by the original artist who made the movie originals-

http://canadianmoose.com/moosemugs/index.htm

Or, if you're a cheapskate like me, here are some nice plastic look-alikes for a LOT less-

http://www.melkmugs.com/

Enjoy!

-Sarge
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Nov 26, 2007, 11:13 PM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #2

If you look closely in the movie the nose is very long oppose to these replicas.I actually just ordered 2 mugs from melkmugs and they look great to me and actually more accurate than canadian moose mugs reason being the base is fatter on the canadian version oppose to the base on the melkmugs version.The melk mugs version is more accurate on the base,watch the scene with cousin eddie and clark by the tree you will see what i mean.I would not spend that kind of money on a glass replica i'de be to afraid to use the thing due to it being glass rather than acrylic.I have an a&r collectable version also wich is cheap and nice also but the nose is too small and the eyes are too close together.I think Melkmugs is the way to go here.
    From
    Indiana
    Nov 26, 2007, 11:28 PM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #3

Thanks for the heads up on the nose- I haven't seen the movie since we switched over to DVD a couple years ago, but I was wondering about that. I tried getting the DVD last year, but waited too long and ended up searching 4 counties for a copy w/ no luck.

This year, the policy was "Buy On Sight!" and I just snagged one earlier tonight, but haven't watched it yet- been too busy playing w/ my 36" Tyrannosaurus Skeleton.

-Sarge
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Nov 26, 2007, 11:33 PM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #4

no prob and just one thing i didn't like with the melkmugs was that they put a frosted coat on the mug instead of keeping them clear acrylic but oh well i still think the melkmugs for the money are the best out there.
    From
    Indiana
    Nov 27, 2007, 5:32 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #5

Hmm, I wonder what the "antler span" on these are? I know you can put acrylic pieces in a rock tumbler w/ fine grit and get an almost crystal clear finish...

-Sarge
    Nov 27, 2007, 7:34 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #6

Funny you should post about those glasses... It just so happens, that's a project of mine that's in the works even as we speak... eer, type.

I have been wanting one of those for a while but was never happy with the ones currently being made, soooo, long story short, I was watching the movie about 3 months back and when that scene came on, it just hit me and I jumped up shouting "THAT'S IT! I know how they made them!" (Scared my girlfriend to death!)

After doing quite a bit of R&D using screen grabs, I've found the correct glasses they used, (I've got a case of them setting in my apt. right now). I've sculpted the parts to add on to the glass which are in the process of being molded. So, it's well under way, although I was hoping to have these ready to offer for Christmas but it's looking like they won't be ready until the first of the year. Once completed, they will look just like the ones in the film, clear glass, frosted antlers, nose and eyes, correct antler and nose shape to boot!

Sorry, I didn't shoot any pics of the sculpt but I'll try and get to my casting partner extraordinary and take a few to show. Once these are done, I'll post pics of the final mug.

-B89!
    Last edited by Beeb89; Nov 27, 2007 at 7:37 AM.
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Nov 27, 2007, 7:38 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #7

This is geat how much you think you will charge?
    From
    Southern California
    Nov 27, 2007, 7:41 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #8

Beeb89 said: View Post

After doing quite a bit of R&D using screen grabs, I've found the correct glasses they used, (I've got a case of them setting in my apt. right now). I've sculpted the parts to add on to the glass which are in the process of being molded. So, it's well under way, although I was hoping to have these ready to offer for Christmas but it's looking like they won't be ready until the first of the year. Once completed, they will look just like the ones in the film, clear glass, frosted antlers, nose and eyes, correct antler and nose shape to boot!
    Pitbull said: View Post
    no prob and just one thing i didn't like with the melkmugs was that they put a frosted coat on the mug instead of keeping them clear acrylic but oh well i still think the melkmugs for the money are the best out there.
    Reading between the lines, I think these two passages nail it. In my own personal assessment, it appears the originals were a normal glass (made of glass), with the moose parts added on. That is essentially what Beeb is getting at, I think...

I did some screen grabs the last time this prop came up for discussion. They clearly illustrate the clear glass and frosted add-ons. I think I still have them but it will be much later today before I can post any.
    Nov 27, 2007, 7:50 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #9

That's exactly what I'm saying.

The originals were made by adding the parts on to an existing glass, that's why the parts are "frosted" and the glass remains clear. I've got the glasses at home, I'll snaps some pics of it and get them up this afternoon.

It's a bit too soon to guess at a cost but they should be pretty affordable to anyone who wants them, I would think.

-B89!
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Nov 27, 2007, 7:54 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #10

when i was watching the film with the commentary they were saying they found the mugs at a small shop so i'm guessing they were made from a company?
    Nov 27, 2007, 7:59 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #11

Yea, I thought the same thing when I heard that, but the more I thought about it and especially after I found the glasses that matched the ones they're holding, I think the small shop they found them in was the prop shop.

Here's one of the pics I used for reference:

(Thanks WC for hosting!)

-B89!
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Nov 27, 2007, 8:04 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #12

yeah,that's the shot i noticed all the blemishes with the other replicas.If canadian moose mugs has the actual maker of their mugs helping them out then why so innacurate to the film?.
    Nov 27, 2007, 8:11 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #13

I can't say if the person making the Canadian Moose Mugs is the same one who did them for the film, but I CAN say, the ones in the film were NOT made like the Moose Mugs version, that's why they look so inaccurate.

-B89!
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Nov 27, 2007, 8:14 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #14

pm sent
  15. Official Licensee RPF Premium Member Got Maul's Avatar
    Nov 27, 2007, 10:40 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #15

Beeb, for the love that is christmas, you have to have them ready for christmas! I would love to bring a set to my family's as we watch our traditional Christmas Vacation movie in the back !
    Nov 27, 2007, 10:46 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #16

That's the plan!

I just got a PM from my partner in crime and he says he's starting the molding process in the next couple of days.

-B89!
    From
    daytona florida!
    Nov 27, 2007, 12:34 PM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #17

i seem to remember a commentary, or some interview with one of the stars, that said the antlers and noses kept falling off the mugs, and they had to keep gluing them back on.... but i can't for the life of me remember where i read(or heard) it....
    i definatly want a few for myself too!
    Nov 27, 2007, 12:51 PM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #18

UFO said: View Post
    i seem to remember a commentary, or some interview with one of the stars, that said the antlers and noses kept falling off the mugs, and they had to keep gluing them back on.... but i can't for the life of me remember where i read(or heard) it....
    I won't doubt it. I'm planning on these being "functional", so I'm hoping to use an epoxy or silicon based adhesive. If anyone has better info on bonding resin to glass, feel free to chime in.

Here's a couple of pics of the glass...

(Thanks WC for hosting!)

-B89!
    From
    Indiana
    Nov 27, 2007, 9:49 PM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #19

Beeb89 said: View Post
    I won't doubt it. I'm planning on these being "functional", so I'm hoping to use an epoxy or silicon based adhesive. If anyone has better info on bonding resin to glass, feel free to chime in.

-B89!
    Does anyone know what the type of glue is, that comes with rear-view mirror repair kits? That might work pretty good.

-Sarge
    From
    HILL VALLEY
    Nov 27, 2007, 10:57 PM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #20

Epoxy Glue i think
    From
    Norfolk, UK
    Nov 28, 2007, 5:36 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #21

I love it when stuff like this comes up.......it makes the wife go oooooooh!

Then she can stop giving me that judging look for trolling what she calls 'geek' sites.....ha ha she's a geek too and now SHE MUST ADMIT IT!

mind you it is another added to the christmas list kinda deal....lol
    From
    Indiana
    Nov 28, 2007, 6:20 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #22

Fishybob said: View Post
    I love it when stuff like this comes up.......it makes the wife go oooooooh!

Then she can stop giving me that judging look for trolling what she calls 'geek' sites.....ha ha she's a geek too and now SHE MUST ADMIT IT!

mind you it is another added to the christmas list kinda deal....lol
    Hehehe, EVERYBODY'S a geek! You just have to find the right subject matter!

-Sarge
    Nov 28, 2007, 6:34 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #23

Here is a VERY quick and dirty photo of some of Barry's sculpted parts:

Nov 28, 2007, 7:10 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #24

Thanks for posting that, Doug. I know from a straight on shot it looks like the others posted at the beginning of this thread but the profile and the antlers are what set it apart. I did my very best to make it match the screen caps.

Can't wait to get castings to mock up a glass!

As for the adhesive, I'm thinking if I use an epoxy or silicon based glue, if I rough the surface of the glass up just a bit, it should make a good bond. That'll be worked out in a "throw away", so when I start making these to send out, it's going to be right!

-B89!
    Nov 28, 2007, 8:12 AM - Re: Christmas Vacation Marty Moose Eggnog Mugs! #25

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this mold since it isn't flat on the back. Mark my words, that curvature will give us trouble!