Chewbacca Bowcaster Finished

wuher da brewer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started working on Chewbacca's bowcaster well over a year ago. I was following Macklin's Bowcaster Parts thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=872 with great anticipation. It and GotWookiee's Chewbacca Costuming Resource gave me the enthusiasm I needed to keep going. Thanks also to members Rebelscum, kurtyboy, and Odiwan72.

Here is what I started with. I upgraded the racquetballs and the resin scope later.

bowcasterstart.jpg

This is after some initial material removal. Much to do still.

bowcasterminorupdt.jpg

This picture shows more of the parts I've collected and some of what has been upgraded.

bowcaster.jpg

Here is a pic with scopes attached. I filed the inner scope rings on each side and underneath to accommodate the outer scope rings. I also filed down the mounts on the bow to better fit the 3/8" rings.

bowcaster_scoped2copy.jpg

Getting a feel for the side plates...

bowcaster_scoped1.jpg

Here are pictures with the side plate painted.

bowcaster_w_sideplate.jpg

This shows the rear barrel mount I built up. I still need to drill it for rivets and paint it.

bowcasterplatebarrel.jpg

The D-rings and the strap have been stapled on.

Bowcaster_Nearly.jpg

Some paint applied and wires affixed. The barrel is firmly in place and front mount is installed. The barrel, rivets, and a couple screws need painting.

bowcaster_nf.jpg

Finally, some finished shots.

bowcaster_x.jpg

bowcaster_z.jpg

bowcaster_y.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Bowcaster in Progress

Evan, you ARE the man! You've probably got the closet sceen accurate bowcaster to date. :thumbsup

I always loved the bowcaster but just don't see enough replicas being made. Looks awesome!!! :thumbsup

Well, too many things kept me from completing this tonight. I'm very close though.

Bowcaster_Nearly.jpg

Last edited:

I've got some pink high bounce balls. I put them on this morning. Though they're not on very well yet. Once I finish it, I'll strip it down and clean it up. I'm showing it at the prop party today. Even though its not finished yet, its still the coolest thing I've got that people haven't seen yet. I'm riding to the party now.

To secure the balls, fill them with a little bit of expanding foam. Slip them on the end of the bow while the foam is still exapnding so you won't have to try and cut into it later.

I really need to redo the knobs on my bowcaster - it's the only part I'm not really happy with. I built it before the discovery of the guitar and amp knobs. Just another project I'll get around to, someday.

-Fred

I've got some pink high bounce balls. I put them on this morning. Though they're not on very well yet.

I'd recommend plastic primer, then self etching primer, then many coats of your primary color. That type of rubber REALLY doesn't like taking paint.

Can't wait to see it all finished.

I'm almost finished. I just have to figure out how to go about making the front sight and finish the barrel.

bowcaster_nf.jpg

The blue uprights on the front sight in this mock-up Macklin made are the only things I have to do now. The barrel and rivets got a light application of AB in lieu of paint.

frontsight2.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back