I am currently in the planning stages of building a Captain America Shield. Unfortunately I don't have too much experience with these sorts of things, so I was hoping for a bit of advice and/or guidance.
I figured it would be a good idea to start with my plan as things stand now, followed by some questions. Please let me know if you see anything stupid.
- Build the Pepakura model from this thread on 405th.com http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22031
- Reinforce the card-stock shield. Possibly with fiberglass resin.
- Build it out to a smooth curve using something or another.
- Make a fiberglass negative using the card-stock-and-something shield.
- Pull a fiberglass shield.
- Paint the fiberglass shield.
A few questions. What would you recommend to build it out in step 3? Also, I am at a bit of a loss when it comes to masking it off for painting. I've never masked anything on a curved surface like Cap's shield and I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to get the circles and star nice and crisp.
Thanks in advance for any help.