Buyer Beware: Shane Brennen aka Samurai169 - Scammer, All Talk - No Delivery!

PearlJeremyJam

If RPF member Shane Brennen (samurai169) tries to sell you on a commission, good luck on getting it. Shane reached out to me about my request for prop fabrication for the assembly of a Bucky (Winter Soldier) costume after posting on a Winter Soldier discussion thread. I had acquired a mask and ordered the jacket and pants. I needed someone to make the chest harness, belt and gun/knife holsters, knee pads, glove, and arm. Shane indicated he was ready and willing. We agreed to pricing which was very reasonable, and he promised to make a metal arm fashioned out of aluminum. I paid for half the commission which included everything but the arm (he later disputed that we discussed the glove but this was discussed earlier in the conversation).

Shane promised quick turnaround (a matter of days), and kept me apprised of the process every step of the way. Days unfortunately turned into weeks which turned into months as Shane continued to maintain the appearance that he was nearing completion of the costume and delays resulted from him always "improving the design" (It will be done in a few more days! Definitely by next week!). The deadline was Dragon*Con at the end of August/late September. He missed that deadline. I gave him a second deadline of Geek Media Expo towards the end of October. Just days before GMX, he simply stopped communicating with me despite promising for the hundredth time it would DEFINITELY be ready. He had also revealed he had other commissions in front of mine...which he never mentioned previously. That's fine, but when you say a commission is going to be ready by X date, have it ready by X date. Delays happen, but when you promise something will be done in June and it's still not available as of October, that's YOUR problem. On top of everything else, he had attempted to sell me on a Cap Shield commission. So if he had time to add that to the mix, why could he still not finish my commissions which were supposed to only take a matter of days? Shane had plenty of time to finish HIS Bucky cosplay and debut it at a con (and he had said he was working on mine concurrently with his, so it should have been finished). If he's not an outright con artist, he is terrible with time management and customer service. Honestly, I wonder if he even ever had intentions to work on this project. If you have the time and nothing better to do, I welcome you to sift through our ongoing months of correspondence regarding the commission (link below). Everyone else came through on their parts (Thanks, Ding Don! You rock! Thanks Gelly!). Shane fell off the face of the Earth until today when he became active again on the RPF. Fortunately, I was able to get my money back after opening a claim with Paypal and forwarding the correspondence. Paypal ruled in my favor clearly seeing that Shane was in breech of the agreement.

So if samurai169 offers to sell you on a commission, buyer beware. I had intended to showcase his work at Dragon*Con in Atlanta, Stan Lee's Comikaze in L.A., and for an overseas photo shoot in Germany. Instead, I'm posting on the RPF advising not to work with this guy based on this experience. The take home lesson is don't promise what you can't deliver. I've also received a message from another client reporting a very similar experience. So it's not just me.

For those playing at home, the below link will direct you to the entire chat history and supporting documentation/screen caps concerning the commission. I'm sharing this for the sake of transparency. This isn't a case of an unsubstantiated claim. The history speaks for itself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69C3D_ESxEoWDFKWWhCTTE3cEE/view?usp=sharing (Microsoft Word doc - you might need to download it to view)

Giving credit where credit IS due - Check out the amazing work of Mr. Ding Don in China. DIng should be working in Hollywood. His Winter Soldier mask is one of the best I've seen and his Batman and Iron Man suits are screen-worthy.

https://www.facebook.com/MrDingOffice

Fortunately, I was able to get my money back after opening a claim with Paypal and forwarding the correspondence. Paypal ruled in my favor clearly seeing that Shane was in breech of the agreement.

I'm not sure I understand this part. You stated previously that "weeks turned into months" on this project, but PayPal has a claim window of 45 days after payment. Once that has passed, PayPal will not accept your claim.

I'm not sure I understand this part. You stated previously that "weeks turned into months" on this project, but PayPal has a claim window of 45 days after payment. Once that has passed, PayPal will not accept your claim.

Not sure if its in effect in the USA already, but PayPal was extending the time limit to 180 days.

I know it will come into effect in Europe sometime in January 2015.

Edit - It was scheduled for November from the looks of things

http://www.therpf.com/f12/paypal-claim-window-extends-come-november-225283/?highlight=paypal

Not sure if its in effect in the USA already, but PayPal was extending the time limit to 180 days.

I know it will come into effect in Europe sometime in January 2015.

Edit - It was scheduled for November from the looks of things

http://www.therpf.com/f12/paypal-claim-window-extends-come-november-225283/?highlight=paypal

I've never been so happy to be wrong, this is the first i've heard of it. A much needed policy change.

If this case is any indication, it appears the new extension is applied retroactively to transactions that occured before November but fall within the 180 day window.

I've never been so happy to be wrong, this is the first i've heard of it. A much needed policy change.

If this case is any indication, it appears the new extension is applied retroactively to transactions that occured before November but fall within the 180 day window.

Also, I note the effective date was yesterday, 18 November ... and not retroactive :wacko

From the thread

10644491_10203295664244611_2369804134621299022_o.jpg

Guess your original question seems to still be valid :lol

Fortunately, I was able to get my money back after opening a claim with Paypal and forwarding the correspondence. Paypal ruled in my favor clearly seeing that Shane was in breech of the agreement.

For those playing at home, the below link will direct you to the entire chat history and supporting documentation/screen caps concerning the commission. I'm sharing this for the sake of transparency. This isn't a case of an unsubstantiated claim. The history speaks for itself.

Not being that well versed in minutia of Paypal's rules and regulations, does "breech of contract/agreement" negate the 45 day claim window?

I lucked out here as I made the initial payment after the commission work began, or after I was lead to believe the commission began (June). Shane indicated he was purchasing materials in bulk as he was making his own version of the suit, and my commission was being built alongside his. I received nearly daily updates as the process unfolded (all of this is included in the conversation log). I offered payment up front but Shane didn't make receiving payment a point of priority (he didn't send an invoice until Sep 5th which was AFTER the Dragon*Con deadline at the end of August). . As the project dragged out, it became apparent that he wasn't going to make the Dragon*Con deadline. Had I faith this was going to get done, I would have paid earlier. Who really has to push the builder to take money?! Never was it, "Hey, I can't get started unless you pay 50% up front." I offered to pay up front. I rendered payment after the deadline for Dragon*Con (payment was made Sep 15th) in hopes to make GMX (end of October). Keep in mind at the beginning of the commission, THIS is the expectation Shane set in regards to turnaround time (from our Facebook conversation):

22/06/2014 22:27
Jeremy Miller
Nice. I take that as a good sign. So once the patterns are ready and bench tested, is fabrication/turn around fairly fast?

22/06/2014 22:30
Shane Brennen
The arm literally a day. The belts metal pieces are nothing. The back shoulder belt will take a day. The knee pads a day. You get the idea. I do work fast once I'm happy with the patterns. My ironman the chest was a day the back two days because I ran out of steel. Etc.

So given that this guy is the fastest fabricator alive, you'd think that a project commissioned in June would be finished by June...not undelivered as of late October.

Here's where we were in October, well after payment had been made on Sept 15th (36 days prior). By this point, I was REALLY not happy with the runaround I was getting.

20/10/2014 11:53
Jeremy Miller
Please call me today at 615 944-XXXX.
·
21/10/2014 05:49
Shane Brennen
Sorry crazy day yesterday. I took it off work to do orders. Yours is still being finalized. I haven't had a chance to get to the arm yet I'm still looking at two days at least before everything is ready. Let me know how you want to proceed.

21/10/2014 07:40
Jeremy Miller
So nothing is ready is what you are saying and I won't have what I need for my convention.
·
21/10/2014 10:07
Jeremy Miller
What did you ship?
·
21/10/2014 10:07
Shane Brennen
No in fact the main belt is finished the back pack is almost finished the thigh holsters are finished. Knee pads need completion and arm. But I'm working back to back 12 hour shifts at work over the next two days. I had three other orders go out yesterday. I can ship to your hotel if need be or I can pay extra for express shipping.

The convention was October 24-26. He never shipped the commission and simply stopped communicating after we were on the verge of GMX yet remained active on the RPF (allthewhile ignoring emails on the RPF as well). He said that he had suffered a chemical burn and that had slowed him down, but it didn't keep him from staying active online. Never called. Never apologized. Never gave an explanation. He just stopped communicating and again, the expectation was that his work only took a matter of days.Honestly, I feel like he was just hoping to string me along until reaching the deadline for getting a refund on Paypal. He's welcome to defend himself on this thread. I'd like a VALID explanation how you can set an expectation that your turnaround time is a mere matter of days which actually means months and as to why he stopped communicating after giving the impression he was going to ship to my hotel.

And the irony is that if I HAD paid up front in June, chances are I still would have never gotten the commission anyway, AND I would be past the deadline to get my money back. I did my part. I came through with the payment. I waited diligently. I got crappy service from someone who can't finish the job. If he wants to redeem himself, he can ship the phantom commission he never did after which I'd be willing to pay at a discounted rate for all of the crap I've had to go through not to mention the loss of face. I originally pursued this commission as I'm very active in the convention scene and barely a day went by during the theatrical release of The Winter Soldier that someone didn't contact me saying, "Oh my God! You have to cosplay the Winter Soldier!" My friends and acquaintances think I bear a resemblance to Sebastian Stan. So for months I've been telling people, "The costume will be ready by Dragon*Con!" "The costume will have to wait for AWA!" "It will definitely be ready by GMX!" "Okay, Comikaze at the latest!" That's trivial in the grand scheme of things but the point being is that if you are attempting to be a professional, be a professional. Honor your word. If you've been paid, deliver what you promised. Don't set false expectations with your customers. We as customers support you financially and allow you to further your craft. Had he come through, believe me, I'd be singing his praises. Instead, my impression of Shane is that, at best, he has a terrible work ethic and a complete inability to estimate production time. At worst, he knows what he's doing and he's a fraud. The jury is out.

Who knows.... For the legitimate folks, their reputations will precede them. For the bad folks, the same goes. Word travels fast. I'm sure at some point, Shane will discover or learn about this thread if he hasn't already, and he has every right to respond and defend himself (assuming one can defend a terrible work ethic and not coming through on a paid commission). It would be great if the RPF had a ratings system for users to provide feedback, like with eBay sellers or the BBB. Your honest, hard-working, legitimate prop makers who are in it for the right reasons will continue to accrue accolades and positive feedback. Your scammers, cheaters, fraudsters, and hacks will receive poor ratings. If you get too many complains, the RPF can throw down the ban hammer or attach a "scarlet letter" to the account. How fantastic would that be? Discussion threads are fine but not everyone sees them. A rating though system would save alot of people alot of grief and force out the riffraff. Some people just shouldn't attempt to build for others. They can build their own props for personal enjoyment and use all day long, but that doesn't mean they are qualified to take on commission work for others

There is a feedback system in the Junkyard for buyers as well as sellers

It would be great to extend that to user profiles for members who offer commissions. I emailed the suggestion to the RPF powers that be. The idea would be to create a profile identifier indicating that you offer commissions via a badge or symbol...say...an anvil in a gold circle (also a nice little piece of advertising) along with a numerical rating based on feedback received from customers.

Example:

RPF Member  Rated.JPG

Gold circle w/ anvil indicates user provides commissions. 8.9 rating indicates user has highly satisfied customers.

Easy peasy.

what on earth this makes no sense! i commissioned this person for the harness/belt combo and I GOT EVERYTHING I ASKED FOR within a reasonable time frame. In fact, my transaction with shane went so smoothly and professionally (i even received more than i thought i was paying for) that I have been recommending him to everyone! I don't understand what happened in your case, but based on my personal dealings he is "A+ would buy from again." I do not believe he would intentionally take your money with no intent of fulfilling his end of the deal, there must have been a misunderstanding somewhere.

what on earth this makes no sense! i commissioned this person for the harness/belt combo and I GOT EVERYTHING I ASKED FOR within a reasonable time frame. In fact, my transaction with shane went so smoothly and professionally (i even received more than i thought i was paying for) that I have been recommending him to everyone! I don't understand what happened in your case, but based on my personal dealings he is "A+ would buy from again." I do not believe he would intentionally take your money with no intent of fulfilling his end of the deal, there must have been a misunderstanding somewhere.

Yes, samurai169 misunderstood the whole sending stuff that people have paid for concept.

It just takes one bad transaction to ruin a rep. It seems every person ever accused of this has had one or more person stand up to attest to their skill and reputation. Unfortunately that is great that they can say their deals went smoothly, but it does nothing to pacify the person who was screwed in the deal. Sure many of these people are "great guys" but the end result of even one poor transaction can put them on the "do not deal" list.

While my dealings were nowhere near the nightmare OP has provided an account of, they resembled it much more closely than yours. Lots of runaround, false claims of turnaround times, failure to deliver by deadlines, etc. I am not accusing him of anything fraudulent in my case, as there was no ultimate loss of goods, finances, or services on either end. However, I was given delivery estimates of 11-4, 11-8, and 11-10. All of this came after clarifying twice in September in October that it would only take "a couple of days" to fabricate the harness. Nonetheless, as each deadline came and passed, different reasons were given. Sometimes it was work; sometimes it was medical. However, I will mention the medical reasons given to me differ from the ones accounted in the OP interactions. Overall, I wouldn't call him a scammer, but he was definitely unprofessional in my interaction. It felt like he was never really concerned with getting my product to me by the time quoted.

Once, it became evident it would not be shipped by the deadline, there wasn't even an apology offered. When I even offered to look into express and overnight shipping options (which would have put me ridiculously invested into this piece), he even brushed that option aside. Again, just very uninterested. I'm happy you got your pieces (You must have been the $44 shipping estimate to Florida he mentioned to me), but my experience was not so pleasant.

I really think that what happens in these types of deals is that some people who decide to make and sell props often find out they've bitten off more than they can chew. A lot of times they try to offer low prices and this just compunds the problems. Before they know it things have gotten away from them and they reach a point where they simply cannot deliver the paid for products. I'm not saying this is right by any means, but I can see how it happens.

I dont think most of these people are outright scammers, they're just really poor business people. When you look at how professional prop houses work you see how much more organized on the business side of things they are - they have to be to stay in business. Also how much more they charge for their products, to cover the many expenses - and prop making is expensive no doubt.

But of course there are amateur or small volume prop makers on these forums that really do a great job, and do deliver as promised. I guess as others have mentioned, it doesnt hurt to ask some questions about who you're dealing with.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back