Building the BR Voight Kampf Machine - Completed for molding - 8/8/12

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Building the BR Voight Kampf Machine - Final Pics added 08/02/2016

Some of you may know that I recently purchased the molds of TH Studios build of the VK machine (Voight-Kampff Machine (Blade Runner)plus Data Severed Head)

The VK has been my dream prop for as long as I can remember, but has proved elusive in the prop reproduction world. Tyler's molds provided me with a great start, but I was really seeking a more screen accurate version of the main body unit.

For the last month, I've been working on my own buildup. I took a cast from Tyler's mold, plugging the screen cowl area with clay, so as only to get a cast of the main body.

Thanks to Defstartrooper, I was able to get a set of high-res caps of the movie prop from the Blu-Ray, and a hi-res rip of the movie from 28injection.

Cheers, guys! :)

I completeley rebuilt the front fascia and screen cowl with styrene sheet. After spending a lot of time with the caps, I ended up pretty much rebuilding everything around the cast taken from the mold.

Next step is to remold the unit so I can produce hollow fibreglass shells that can house the electronics (and that's another job entireley...)

The piece so far, photos taken at the start of a snow-storm :lol

5z4e4x.jpg

160rdvq.jpg

2qv4jnb.jpg

hwc0tk.jpg

302yhr5.jpg

From the movie:

szhh8y.jpg

zujvx2.jpg

fp8lu8.jpg

amqwpe.jpg

2rerzwh.jpg

zujvx2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: (Re) building the Blade Runner Voight Kampf Machine

Yeah, I always thought about making one too...but the lack of good sources and all the TV moniters stonkered me. Not to mention the moterised arm...looked like a very knotty problem.

I've been more interested of late sice I have an outfit to go with it...
It would be fun to get some politicians and 'put the machine on 'em'.

Off to a great start!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one Bro! :thumbsup

What are the diameters of the TV screens? I have a small field monitor that I could search information on, it looks quite close.

with all the flat screen LCD displays of all sizes these days, not hard to find something that would fit I am sure.
I bet you could make one look like a CRT but just putting a clear CRT shape lens over the front of a functioning LCD display.

Looking forward to the updates, this will be one very cool prop!

with all the flat screen LCD displays of all sizes these days, not hard to find something that would fit I am sure.
I bet you could make one look like a CRT but just putting a clear CRT shape lens over the front of a functioning LCD display.

I've tried this - it's much less convincing than you'd hope, I'm afraid.

The top 2 small screens look like slide viewers similar to (but not the same model as) the Aliens Motion Tracker screen. I have an LCD screen in my motion tracker with an LCD screen behind it that looks great. There is some magnification by the lens but it is not unwelcome. My .02

Mike

Very nice work, can't wait to see the finished piece. All the best!:thumbsup

This is still going to happen, just waiting till' I have the funds to buy the silicone to mold this baby :love

Have you thought about (Vac)thermo-forming the body?

This is still going to happen, just waiting till' I have the funds to buy the silicone to mold this baby :love

I don't have the equipment for vac-forming, unfortunateley.

Cool prop, good luck.

I always wondered what the small bellows were supposed to do?

Last edited:

You should drop by the BLADEZONE forums. If memory serves, someone over there was working on one of these pieces also. Maybe you could combine forces!

I just posted in over there trying to find the person making it. I'll post back in if I find who it was.

http://www.bladezone.com/phpBB2/login.php

Last edited:

Cool prop, good luck.

I always wondered what the small bellows was supposed to do?

Here's some insight on the bellows:

voightkampffmachine.png

"Ridley [Scott] drew a sketch of this machine, which he said was an exotic kind of lie detector, and it reads the iris's contractions. When you lie, or are under stress, your iris tends to contract or expand. The Voight-Kampff machine would center on the pupil and the operator would have a full-screen enlarged picture of the iris. The machine would measure the contractions of the iris and put it on a graph or something.

Ridley wanted this machine to be fairly delicate, briefcase size, easily portable, but it also had to look very dangerous sitting on a desk, very threatening, and sort of like a giant tarantula. Since it isn't dangerous because it's large, it had to be dangerous because it's threatening. So we decided it should breathe.

My rationale for this was that the machine would draw in air samples in the immediate area. When you are scared or apprehensive, our body gives off an odor. And I think it's minute molecular detachments of protein or something that your sweat glands give out. So your chemistry changes when you're tense. You unfold the machine and it starts itself as soon as the subject walks in the room; its arm moves around and focuses at the subject's eye. It's sort of alive in a way all by itself, and its very, very threatening."

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back