Borderlands 2 - Kreig Buzz Axe - A Slow Build.

BigAdam

Afternoon,

You ever had one of those ideas of "I'll make it out of X, that will be a GREAT idea!" then regret it after a day?

Well, thats how I see this going. With that said, pictures and information.

Borderlands 2 - Kreig Buzz Axe - A Slow Build.

A little while back, Gearbox released the trailer for a new character called Krieg. A mass of insane meat with an axe.

Krieg: A Meat Bicycle Built for Two - YouTube

Seeing this, I thought he had a cool axe and started picking apart the video for ideas of scale (borderlands human shapes are weird, giant hands, so its hard to get a bead on at times). Also had a nice reference in the from ;

RuTsF5s.jpg

With half an idea of what I was doing, no money, and a van. I headed out to "acquire" a shipping pallet for some wood. Also used the pallet to make half a table, some bits to space the welder on the trolly, and rebuild a ladder.

I got a basic idea of how I wanted the handle to be, I tried tracing it off an image but it didn't really look right (I'm not going for 100% accurate, as it would drive me insane).

Instead, I did round about shape I wanted to some card, cut it out and tweaked it, then transferred it to wood. Then spent a few afternoons on the belt sander rounding it all off. Its not great, but it fits my spongy hands;

gh3lAjjh.jpg

Was around this time, I got a call from my nan to paint her fences. During which she gave me a bench grinder her son / my uncle had left with her.

This bench grinder, its a fine enough thing, but the parts that hold the stones are utter rubbish and let the stones run at a silly huge run out (5-10mm of run out, as the nuts used are also garbage). So I need to make some new ones, I decided to make them out of 7mm thick steel.

What does this have to do with this build?

Why order two different thicknesses of metal, when I can order one! My genius brain decided that making the metal parts of the axe from 7mm mild steel, same as the parts to hold the stones in the grinder. While ordering, the place also had 150mm x 15mm thick metal discs. I need to make a blade, I'll pick one of them up too.

Metal turns up, I also borrowed some staining wax from my father to take the bright wood down to a darker colour. Tested a few bits with cardboard to make sure they seemed about right.

QmH11XRh.jpg

Fast forward to today, 3 hours of grinding, swearing, filing, and more swearing. I have one bit done.

EdIet2mh.jpg

Going to use that one bit, copy it over to another bit of steel to make the other side. The lower ... neck(?) I think I might weld up as its got a lot of bends. Planning on doing a brake drum forge to get the heat into the metal to bend it. As 7mm does not like being bent.

Few bits are WAY off model. But every image I look at is slightly different. Some parts hug around the axe, others just end, some are sharp, some are round. So I'm working on the idea of this being made by a nut of a man on a dust ball of a planet while screaming about having the shiniest meat bicycle, AKA artist license.

I know I need to cut that top spike back. Not sure what I was thinking when doing that. Only needs tweaking back so not so much of a problem.

Still, should be fun trying to bend this lot up. Not sure if to put bearings in the blade, or just let it spin on the 12-13mm studding I'm planning on using. That disc is going to be a right pain to make, got a general idea how I'm going to make it. Might have to test on a small bit first, maybe tomorrow as I've ruined my hands now.

Today, I was going to try and fix my brench grinder, tried to make new washers from some plate. Not happening at all. I'll have to get some round stock someday.

In the mean time, I spray / traced the part onto some more steel for tomorrow or Tuesday. Should be a fun day. Might cut it up outside to remove the problem of covering EVERYTHING in grinding dust.

54JDCfR.jpg

Sweet man! I've always liked the design of the original buzz axe, but krieg's one looks so much cooler.

Sweet man! I've always liked the design of the original buzz axe, but krieg's one looks so much cooler.

Thanks mate.

Its not going to be spot on, not really done this sort of thing before, but I think I should end up with something close.

Realised today the blade is going to be a pain. Can't really clamp it that easy. So I might have to weld it to another pole, clamp that in the vice, do the edge then cut that and face it off smooth.

Liking this so far man, sticking around to see what you make of this.

Just keep in mine, I am slow. Got the second top part half done, hour and a half of sparks in my hair burns me out of doing things.

That and I kept trying to use the chisel to make life simpler. 7mm thick steel kills small chisels. I bent the damn thing 8 times.

So should finish that off tommorw and rought out a lower part that fixed the handle to the head.

I really got to figure out proper names for these things.

Phew, not much done today as a grinding disc exploded on me. After picking bits out of my hair, and sweeping off the burnt metal off my arm I decided to stop after an hour or so. I did managed to make a bucket from a gas bottle, which is nice.

wzmNwIx.jpg

Tools of the trade in this build. I do like the Uvex goggles, they cost a bit extra than supermarket crap but are way WAY better in terms of comfort. And slittling discs / 'plasma' cutting discs are the bees knees.

RZN818a.jpg

The grey one is the latest bit. Way rattier than the first one. What I get for being lazy and tracing rather than marking it all out properly. I also as mentioned kept trying to use a chisel for bits where chain drilling or just doing a 13mm hole would have been a far better idea.

7Q7oo3B.jpg

UnA68TT.jpg

6beBPuT.jpg

That top back part, my files are all slightly too big to fit in. So I'll pick up an cheapy file on Wednesday and cut it to suit, or get a set of needle files. In general they all need a bit more filing, my new files are utter rubbish. Should have stuck with a decent brand rather than the Screw(-U-)Fix brand.

Also a small notch where the grinder got away from me. Luckily the whole back of this thing is also a blade, so when I bevel it to make a blade edge, shouldn't be too noticeable.

I'm assuming your not taking the buzz axe to any cons, considering the fact that you could probably kill someone with it, anyways keep up the good work!

haha, that much metal at the end of a swinging wooden arm = definitely lethal. still, considering all the bandit weapons are pretty much scrounged up from scrap, this build is spot on. all you need to do now is do your next update "in character" :p

Wow, this is turning out awesome! I love metalworking, and seeing great "something out of nothing" builds... Also, pallets are awesome, I'm super happy that my job provides me with a source of free ones :) Subscribed, I don't want to miss the final product!
Oh, and your step-by-step is excellent, very detailed. I get the feeling that anyone who wanted to could just follow the steps to make their own Buzz Axe. Wouldn't even be too hard to substitute the metal and wood with softer, "safer" materials for a con-version (no pun).
Keep up the great work!

Wow, this is turning out awesome! I love metalworking, and seeing great "something out of nothing" builds... Also, pallets are awesome, I'm super happy that my job provides me with a source of free ones :) Subscribed, I don't want to miss the final product!
Oh, and your step-by-step is excellent, very detailed. I get the feeling that anyone who wanted to could just follow the steps to make their own Buzz Axe. Wouldn't even be too hard to substitute the metal and wood with softer, "safer" materials for a con-version (no pun).
Keep up the great work!

Ack, thats mighty nice of you. I just sort of bumble along, the photos give me a chance to stop the grinder spitting sparks at me for a few moments. Hence why I stopped for a bit, just get tired of burning hair off.

On the con thing, never done a con, I just needed something to keep the sanity in check for a bit.

haha, that much metal at the end of a swinging wooden arm = definitely lethal. still, considering all the bandit weapons are pretty much scrounged up from scrap, this build is spot on. all you need to do now is do your next update "in character" :p

Mighty kind of you to say so. Should be a chunky thing when I'm done. Not sure if I'm going to attempt to harden it at all or not.

Prepare yourselves ... for horrible phone photos!

Not much today, I spent part of the day melting aluminium (its not as hard as you'd think). I really need to make a taller forge as the airflow I have isn't enough and some insulation would be good.

Anyway, the axe, decided to do some bending today. Using good ol' brute force, ignorance, and eye balling it.

Despite being a lump of 140kg meat, I cannot bend 7mm mild steel. I can however bend 3mm with a hammer. So I busted out the grinder, loaded up a slitting disc and eyeballed up some bend points.

5z1sLcSh.jpg

And almost sliced it clean through, like a berk.

WgCUelwh.jpg

Some swearing, bending, and more swearing later.

8PCLCTMh.jpg

Aye, one is tweaked in a little. Only now do I notice that.

LxMVTjph.jpg

I then fired up the gasless mig (which is only really rated to do 1 or 2mm steel), cranked it up to 11 and did some .... lets say "not good" welds to be nice to myself.

gkcv7wYh.jpg

Oh, I also got a new auto-dimming helmet. These things are really nice, if you weld even a bit, go a pick one up.

ai5dNhi.jpg

Right, you might have noticesmy rubbish welds have vanished. Leaving only loverly steel behind. How do I do this?

Flap discs.

I love and hate flap discs. They are disc covered in bits of sandpaper like material and just much through high spots. Great for smoothing out welds. I hate using them ... mostly as I have a bit of one stuck in my finger that the doctors won't take out and hurts when its cold. My finger caught the disc one day (didn't hurt too bad at the time) and left behind a present in the form of a lump of black stuff that is now in my finger. What I get for not using a guard on the grinder.

Anyway, flap discs are great for "cleaning up" those not spectacular welds.

Bit more cleaning with a file to get in the hard spots and I check the disc will still fit. Still does, so we're all good.

Mqslcvkh.jpg

All in all, a good day. Still need to think of a better forge deign for melting aluminium.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back