Black/Red Nike Mag Project

Taff83

Sr Member
A few months back i noticed on the forums a photoshop image of a pair of Nike Mags which were black and red i have linked it for reference.

I think i am not alone here in possibly planning on making a pair if the V2's come out looking good next month, so my plan is to gather as much feedback about these as possible.

I am mainly stuck on what colour the "Nike" and "Mag" lettering should be on the back of the heel cups.

I was thinking dark grey for the Nike but no idea for the Mag lettering, just leaving it black would work but very hard to see.

still unsure what material to use as well so open to suggestions.

the soles i will hopefully get off a spare pair of V2's but again with no images who knows just yet but if they have clear rubber as we all hope i think a slight red dye session will do the trick with red el lighting.

black leatherette for the cuffs and strap, red leatherette or red foam for the nike tick?

Post away, negative or positive comments are welcome :)

The back letters should be black for Nike and either red orange or light purple for Mag. Someone would have to Photoshop that part to see exactly what they would look like.

Black MAG would rock. I love the red EL, not sure about the red SWOOSH though.

I am a little concerned about the red swoosh as well, I need to get photoshop and edit every elevation of the photos with a black color scheme.

I wish the v2 pics were out so I can decide if I am going to make this pair and scrap my grey pair.

As for the mid sole, textured and no paint flicks just black as pictured?

I'd go with a paint scheme that made the mags look like you were walking on burning hot coals.

Black soles with orange splatter like sparks. Go for red el on the sole and a mix of orange/ red for the other lights.

Have black for the upper and charcoal grey for the buckle/ strap etc.

For the "NIKE MAG" i'd paint them red then fade to orange then white towards the middle to simulate more flame.

I'd go with a paint scheme that made the mags look like you were walking on burning hot coals.

Black soles with orange splatter like sparks. Go for red el on the sole and a mix of orange/ red for the other lights.

For the "NIKE MAG" i'd paint them red then fade to orange then white towards the middle to simulate more flame.

Sounds awesome! I like the idea of the charcoal grey cups and buckles, what is your thoughts on the Nike tick Alex? Red I think would work just not 100% sure

I am in the process of building yet another Heel Cup Buck for Vac Pulling and wonder how black ABS with the haircell out would look for both the Heel Cup and the Ankle Buckle?

Sounds awesome! I like the idea of the charcoal grey cups and buckles, what is your thoughts on the Nike tick Alex? Red I think would work just not 100% sure

Could work. I'd personaly go with charcoal grey for the swoosh. It would tie in with the buckle and strap and red might almost be too much considering the other red/orange elements.

Have you tried making a mock-up to see how the different choices would look?

I am in the process of building yet another Heel Cup Buck for Vac Pulling and wonder how black ABS with the haircell out would look for both the Heel Cup and the Ankle Buckle?

Gopher eat dood. I think that would look great. So it'd have a texture, yeah?

I'll spend sometime on photoshop this week and see what I can come up with..

Well the photo above will be good enough for me to go by with Jedifyfe's photoshopped images he released (If your listening thanks for posting them)

Last edited:
Well here is where i am at..

LED's for the heel cup i have done with a layer of foam on each row (sprayed grey) FYI i have hooked up these LED's to inverters with 2 off EL panels and i only use 1 x 100ohm resistor, still not sure why everyone puts so many resistors on these shoes as its not needed. and i have ran these for 4 hours (2 sessions) and not one LED blew or went lighter/darker.

I have the fabric but its currently being dyed black at the moment.

Red EL is on the way from HK

Black smooth finish Italian leatherette vinyl for strap, cuffs and tongue on the way.

Red dye for the soles i will pick up this weekend for when i rip a pair of V2's up for the soles.

The cups and buckles are made by Punisher (MASSIVE shout out to him for all his hard work and the time he spent on everything especially making the lettering crisp and perfecting the bubbles) as in my opinion there the closest to the real thing but i might plan on ripping the guts out of the V2 buckles so i can make this pair with a charger but won't know till i have them.

The slits on the back of the shoe is to create a weakened area so i can make it concaved but still have the strength without cutting a oval out the back of it, also when the fabric and buckle covers it you will not see any signs of these slits.

Still lots to do but its a start.. :)

Appreciate that Cavx, thank you for that :)

TBH if you never posted the pattern and spent all that time sending me emails i don't think they would have come out looking as good as they do, remember my first mag made from Corduroy?

Appreciate that Cavx, thank you for that :)

TBH if you never posted the pattern and spent all that time sending me emails i don't think they would have come out looking as good as they do, remember my first mag made from Corduroy?

Glad to see you modded the patterns. I followed your lead and redid mine which included all the mods you brought to my attention - toe length being one very important one.

I was at the same stage with a grey Spandex, but removed it because I think the way to do this is to have cuffs and tongue and liner ready. I had pre-cut the fabric and pulled it over the edges of the foam, however pre-cutting the fabric is a mistake because as you pull it tight, you pull it out of shape anyway.

I think you need to start with the rear seam, but this does not need to curved as you will follow the curve of the back of the shoe anyway as you glue it on.

The seam in the inner side is a bit of a challenge.

Ye the inner Liner i am slightly scared of doing as well, but we are too passionate about these shoes to not pull it off now :D

Oh the Nike Swoosh, red leatherette or red foam? IMO foam will look better but still unsure :confused

Nice pink parts!! :lol This is awesome progress! I think foam would look cool but also keep in mind if it scrapes anything then its ruined if its like craft foam but I think they have very dense foam that could work, its less spongy and more rubbery. for the liner, what if you did it from your templates but use slightly decreased sized template to compensate for it being inside of the shoe, maybe do a cloth/foam layer together, assemble just like the foam uppers, spray adhesive the outside then shove it inside of the shoe (after test fitting of course) and it MIGHt be as easy as that( In my head it seems easy but who know when it comes to doing it in real life) Keep us updated please!

Who doesnt love a bit of pink _.^

The way you mentioned Scott is basically in theory the same way I will do it, I'm a bit sceptical on how it will work but I have a good idea in my head, will be easy to explain using step by step pics when the time comes, but two pieces back to back inner and outer liner sewn in certain areas (basically all but cuff area) then when I connect the fabric to the inside part of the shoe I will hand stitch it while the rest of the fabric is glued down, then tuck the stitch between the connecting pieces of foam and then secured together.

I havnt decided whether i will wear these out and about but if i do, it will be when i head to locations based indoors and ill make sure no one comes within stepping on my shoe range lol, but if they do there will be three hits, me hitting him, him hitting the floor and a ambulance hitting 90mph :darnkids

I just hope I can take the battery set up from the V2's and implement it into your buckles, if not a 9v in the sole is fine by me, as originally planned.

Last edited:
It seems that the soles are too thin at the toe area. And if you wanted to be accurate to the 2011 mags, then I would have made the body out of two layers of thin foam that are both covered in fabric. You can see here. http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/1ggpu.jpg

But these are still amazing nonetheless.

The soles in the pics are off the V1's I will be using V2 soles with red dyed rubber and black paint job to mid sole.

I once did a two layer shoe but unfortunately if the foam/material isn't thick enough it is very "floppy" I used 6mm camping mat foam for two reasons 1.) can be thermoformed easy and 2.) it is sturdy and less hassle

Don't get me wrong though your idea does work just I didn't fancy that option for my build due to past experiences.

Glad your liking my setup so far though, I'm stoked I'm not the only one thinking I'm getting somewhere.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back