Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. What is a plethora, Jefe? RPF Premium Member hydin's Avatar
    From
    La
    Mar 7, 2012, 4:07 PM - Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #1

Welp, silver leafing did NOT work out, and yet again I am going to be cleaning and polishing and sanding my angel blade down... again.

SO... screw it. Gonna go the chrome spray paint route.

What's the best one out there to use? Want something vaguely metallic, not just "gray paint with some glitter" look.

Any advice is appreciated
    Chris
    From
    New York
    Mar 7, 2012, 4:14 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #2

Rustoleum Bright coat chrome is a good one, though test first as sometimes it stays a bit tacky on some surfaces.

best,
    Tom
  3. What is a plethora, Jefe? RPF Premium Member hydin's Avatar
    From
    La
    Mar 7, 2012, 4:19 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #3

Does it fingerprint like crazy?

I can probably buy some sealer if that's the case...

Chris
    From
    Whitby, ON
    Mar 7, 2012, 4:32 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #4

The rustoleum or krylon bright silver are both chromish. And once properly cured, shouldn't fingerprint unless you're handling it a lot. If you want to seal it, you need to use an acrylic clear (like future/pledge floor wax). It will dull the chrome bit, but any other will turn it grey.
  5. What is a plethora, Jefe? RPF Premium Member hydin's Avatar
    From
    La
    Mar 7, 2012, 4:38 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #5

Cool!

I now know what to buy later this week

Not planning on handling the prop a lot, mainly just setting it up for display and that's it. I'd hate to spend a few hours prepping and painting, just to fingerprint the thing moving it though...

Chris
  6. RPF Premium Member Funky Jedi's Avatar
    From
    Tulsa Okie-dokie
    Mar 7, 2012, 4:57 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #6

Chris, I think the real secret here here is VERY thin layers and wait a couple of days in between coats. Sure it will take a while but each coat needs to properly cure before the next coat or it will remain tacky for a very, very long time.
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    Mar 7, 2012, 5:55 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #7

Spaz*Stix,...
    This stuff is like Alclad in a spray can. Spray it over a gloss black under coat, and seal it with clear acrylic. Best metallic look I've seen (don't be fooled by the pic in the ad, it's not quite that good). Available at most Hobbytown USA stores.
    From
    Shadow
    Mar 7, 2012, 6:18 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #8

I learned the hard way when sealing metallic colors on certain clear coats. Chrome after clear gray
  9. Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Mar 7, 2012, 8:58 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #9

I found some Plasti-Kote Bumper Chrome No. 615 in the trunk of a car at the wreckers. It's very chrome-like in tests, and doesn't finger print.

Heat cure it if you can, in a toaster oven or similar. 200 F shouldn't hurt anything.
    From
    The Twilight Zone
    Mar 7, 2012, 9:26 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #10

I use Plasti-kote Metallic Silver. Its not CHROME but it has a great shine and won't get prints like crazy.
    From
    Summerville SC USA
    Mar 8, 2012, 12:10 AM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #11

I've heard good things about Rub'nBuff. It's not chrome-ish but looks like real metal when done right, and pretty shiny too.
  12. RPF Premium Member Crank729's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Mar 8, 2012, 12:25 AM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #12

Persoanally, I think you should look around for a auto body shop that sells custom aerosol cans.....It will run you a bit more, But it is well worth it. The quality is usually really good!!!
  13. What is a plethora, Jefe? RPF Premium Member hydin's Avatar
    From
    La
    Mar 8, 2012, 2:27 AM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #13

The only downside to rub n buff is it takes FOREVER to actually stop being waxy.

No paint shops locally that I can hit

Might give the plastikote a try, but I dunno about heat curing it. The blades a decent size, and the only thing I could use would be my oven, and I kinda don't want the blade bursting into flame.

Nice to know I have some options though

Thanks for the help guys!
    Chris
  14. Member Since
    Dec 2001
    From
    Sunnyvale and Manteca, Ca
    Mar 8, 2012, 11:12 AM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #14

This is the spray chrome from Walmart. The nozzel is spray chrome. The textured part on the Phaser 1 is aluminimum duct tape. Sprayed over gloss black enamel and no clear coat.

J
  15. avianoguitarist is offline avianoguitarist
    Mar 8, 2012, 11:20 AM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #15

DupliColor MetalKast--but make sure to use the special primer.
  16. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Mar 8, 2012, 12:02 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #16

avianoguitarist said: View Post
    DupliColor MetalKast--but make sure to use the special primer.
    Dupli-Color makes a chrome spray, but I've never seen a Metalcast Chrome before...
  17. "Roy-ale with cheese" RPF Premium Member jasonw2112's Avatar
    From
    Ohio
    Mar 8, 2012, 2:50 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #17

Testors makes a good chrome spray paint. You want to put a real nice slick gloss black under it first, and make sure the black (if it is enamel) is dry, before applying the chrome paint. The Testors stuff is an Enamel based paint, and needs to be applyed in small light coats. If you can,set it out in the sun to let it fully cure. Since it is enamel, it will take awhile for it to dry. Just remember the more you put on, the longer it will need to dry. In this case, I have noticed a laquer spray topcoat, tends to make it dull.
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Mar 8, 2012, 3:25 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #18

The Plasti-Kote Bumper Chrome No. 615 is about as shiny as the bright side of aluminum foil.

Here's a thread trying out various 'chrome systems'.

DIY Spray On Chrome - THE H.A.M.B.

The plastic spoon reflects the camera!

From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Mar 8, 2012, 4:57 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #19

Dorian Gray said: View Post
    I learned the hard way when sealing metallic colors on certain clear coats. Chrome after clear gray
    With Future Floor Wax, the trick I've heard is to first mist it on and let that seal and then do a second spraying. The misting layer should protect the chrome paint from reacting to the solvents of the clear coat and thus turning grey.

Mind you, I have not had time to test it yet, but there were pictures shown off on endobuilders of someone having used this method and the results were promising from what I could tell.
  20. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Mar 8, 2012, 5:38 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #20

Funky Jedi said: View Post
    Chris, I think the real secret here here is VERY thin layers and wait a couple of days in between coats. Sure it will take a while but each coat needs to properly cure before the next coat or it will remain tacky for a very, very long time.
    This is a helpful hint. Metallic paints in general are tricky to work with as you not only have to prepare your surface well but have to pay attention to specific methods of application.
    Mar 8, 2012, 8:11 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #21

here is the rustoleum chrome in a can.

22. "Roy-ale with cheese" RPF Premium Member jasonw2112's Avatar
    From
    Ohio
    Mar 8, 2012, 8:23 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #22

Too Much Garlic said: View Post
    With Future Floor Wax, the trick I've heard is to first mist it on and let that seal and then do a second spraying. The misting layer should protect the chrome paint from reacting to the solvents of the clear coat and thus turning grey.

Mind you, I have not had time to test it yet, but there were pictures shown off on endobuilders of someone having used this method and the results were promising from what I could tell.

That sounds like a great idea! I would think that would work for other clear coats as well. It makes since.
    From
    Athens, GA (USA)
    Mar 8, 2012, 9:27 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #23

the quick and easy (rattle-can) chrome on resin parts:

basecoat (no primer needed) with Krylon Fusion, then top coat with Krylon Premium Silver Foil. Don't clear coat chrome paint as it dulls it, and never bake a finish on resin parts unless you know the resin can take the heat (most casting resins warp at 120F)

example
    From
    Miami, Florida
    Mar 8, 2012, 9:42 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #24

I have heard a lot of model builders rave about the stuff from Alclad. But there is a trick to applying it so it looks like chrome. Here is the link Alclad2.com
    Apr 6, 2012, 11:44 PM - Re: Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone #25

Ok, I need a bit of help guys. I bought a can of the Rustoleam Chrome from Wally World and did several light coats over bare plastic, black primer, and another paint as a base AND after 2 weeks it goes back and forth from tacky-ish to being able to lightly finger print it... I haven't sealed it as it's on a test model. What am I doing wrong or what advice do you all have?
    Thanks guys,
    D