Batman Arkham Origins grapnel gun replica (NECA)

E Williams

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just put on display at SDCC. Available in October:

IMG_3831__scaled_800.jpg

SWEET. No word on specifics other than "available at Gamestop." Super deluxe edition of the game maybe?

Edit: updated thread title

Last edited:
Re: Batman Arkham Origins grapnel gun replica coming from NECA

no they'll probably sell it separately, like they did with the Assasins creed blades, they got those in fo rthe release of the 3rd game, so you'll be able to go in and preorder one just like the blade.

Now is it 1/1 scale or is it like the Dead Space Cutter? I cancelled that pre order after I found out it was itty bitty.

Well, the NECA write-up says "life size," and it looks pretty big next to that 2-up figure. It seems safe to say it's 1/1.

It is really tempting, but think I might wait to get some better screen shots or even the 3d file.

Licensed pieces always seem to disappoint me.

You think a pep will turn out better? Sorry, for $35 what's to disappoint?! :confused

For that price if it's a one color solid peice it's worth it. I imagine in November there will be a hundred threads devoted to accurizing this prop!!

Hard to say. I've done the Arkham CIty Grappel and finding any decent colour ref was virtually impossible. Everyone did there's black/grey like the "wayne tech" concept pics whereas the game weapon is blue and silvers.

Yeah, can't beat $35 bucks! I am gonna wait for video reviews first to see how powerful the spring is.

I bought one today, just out in Gamestop Ireland 2nd Oct. Its... ok.
Just to be clear there is only one type of grapnel claw, I was expecting two as shown in preorders and SDCC but there was only the one (might have been my box though, it had been opened but it was the last one in the store). I do not think there is room in the box for 2 anyway.

So yeah it's ok, the claw is FOAM, the shaft and fittings are plastic, bit let down by that but then again it is meant to be shot. There is a tethered string between the claw and gun which can stop the claw being shot far but it's cool to press the button and reel it back in. Unfortunately it will not bear my weight :cuckoo:

IMO it is a TOY NOT A PROP REPLICA, like with any toy gun it is hard plastic and has the usual seems/joints along the centre. The colour is nice enough. If you are focused on realism, you will probably be like me, replace the foam claws with hard plastic/aluminium, replace the string for steel wire, remove the seems, add a few socket screws (which there are holes for) and repaint. But for €34.99 it's not that bad and you could display it on its own.

Yeah when looking at it as if it's a game-accurate kit to be finished and painted, the price is rather nice especially given the moving parts. Would you mind posting a photo or two? It would be great to see what the final product looks like :)

It's disappointing that the second claw was dropped (the Gamestop listing was updated to reflect this :/ )... The second claw looked rather pointy so perhaps that is why? You would think they still could have made it a non-firing attachment for display. I posted on NECA's facebook asking about this.

Just got my shipping confirmation from Gamestop. I'll post photos when it arrives next week :)

My grapnel replica arrived yesterday. I have to say that for the $35 cost I am happy with it. Here's a brief review. Click photos for larger versions.

The grapnel gun. First out of the box you realize just how massive the prop is (more on this later). It does, as Forge noted, only come with one claw rather than the two that were advertised for pre-order. The tips are foam, but they don't look that bad. They would be easily replaced with styrene, or you can dry brush a bit of silver paint to disguise their material a bit.

Paint and finish is nice, and they've done a serviceable job of minimizing seam lines and hiding the screws with little plugs (seen above). Since this is not a prop I've seen in extreme detail, the plugs don't stand out to me when I look at it.

The other side:

No screw plugs on this side. I've also changed the angle of the grip in this photo to its other extreme.

As I mentioned above, the prop is rather large and chunky. In photos, it doesn't look so bad scale-wise (see above), but in hand, I can barely get my first knuckle around the grip. With such a precarious grip I wouldn't want to be hanging from this thing hundreds of feet in the air, lol. This is accurate to the game art, though, so it's no fault of NECA. If you look at screenshots the in-game Batman also has a rather tenuous grip.

But yeah, it's still really big. You don't realize just how comically over-sized the design is until you compare to a previous grapnel...

Interesting to see a few design cues travel from the old to the new, though.

The action features: The grapnel gun will fire the claw attachment when you pull the trigger, and reel it back in when you push the button on the rear of the gun. The reel in the butt of the gun visually spins as well. The string is about 4-5 feet long (it would have been better were this black instead of white).

There's a specific trick to loading the thing to work properly and it's not described well in the instructions. After firing, push the button to reel in the claw to where its shaft is just at the end of the barrel. Then, push the shaft into the gun all the way until you hear it click into place. Finally, tap the reel button a few times to take up the remainder of the slack in the string. If you don't it will jam and not fire, but once I figured this out it fired reliably every time.

I will say that you shouldn't put any weight on the reel mechanism as it seems like the gears on mine slip sometimes. Hopefully that is by design and not due to wear (it happened soon after opening). Better safe than sorry.

To sum up... At $35 it's a steal for a rather nice & faithful prop, with moving parts (grip, reel, claws). As a bonus it has a silly though admittedly fun action feature.

Here's one more photo with the Arkham Asylum batarang:

My local Gamestop did not have any in stock. But they were able to order them and have them shipped directly to my home. They didn't even charge shipping and handling.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back