Back to the Future Guitars

mrsmartypants

Here's something I don't think I've seen anyone do....re-create Marty's two guitars from BTTF.

It's really not too hard as they are both real guitars.

The first seems to be better known within the BTTF world:

The Erlewine Chiquita Traveling Guitar

chiquita_01.jpg

Erlewine is still in business and still makes these guitars. Match the finish and knob and your in business! (Erlewine Guitars)

The second (and far more desirable, at least for me) guitar seems to be less known about:

The Gibson ES-345TD that MJF plays at the rhythmic ceremonial ritual (note this photo is of a 1967 ES-345TD):

1967-Gibson-ES-345-TDC-Cherry.JPG

What's interesting to note is that apparently the guitar used was made in 1963. Obviously not available in 1955. The Tune-o-Matic bridge it originally came with was partially removed and a Bigsby Tremolo was retrofitted onto the guitar.

Check out this screen shot and you can see the posts from the Tune-o-Matic tailpiece were left in the guitar after the Bigsby was installed (they are the two giant screw heads just behind the bridge...kind of sitting there in the middle of the guitar and looking out of place):

SnapzProXScreenSnapz021.jpg

Now comes the cool part. Gibson re-issued the ES-345TD a few years back and it is nearly identical to the one MJF used in the movie!

273770.jpg

The only differences I've been able to spot so far are 1: the pearl inlay at the 12th fret is split into two inlays on the re-issue (just like all the other inlays) whereas the inlay on the 12th fret on the BTTF guitar is solid; 2: the amp jack has been re-located from the face of the guitar to the side. Other than that, this is probably as spot on as you are going to get unless you are fortunate enough to track down a 1963 ES-345TD....good luck on that as there were only a few hundred made and those still around go for thousands of dollars!!

The re-issue isn't cheap (about $3k) but, doable for some. You can pick up a Bigsby B7 Gold-plated tremolo (which looks to be the exact same one used in the movie) for under $200 just about anywhere. Install it yourself or take it to a guitar custom shop to have installed, do a little aging on everything, add Kurtyboy's photo of Marty disappearing under the strings on the headstock and voila! Marty's Enchantment Under the Sea guitar!! For me, this is probably the second most important prop from the movie...behind the Delorean, of course.

Bigsby-B7-Gold.jpg

This is my next project!!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Edit: I just noticed one other difference on the re-issue. The pickguard is longer...it comes out past the bridge where the in 1963 and 1967 ones pictured it stops at the bridge pickup. The pickguard could be easily replaced though with the correct size.

Last edited:
That is a disproportionately large pickguard. I imagine you could pick up a reasonably priced replacement for it from the same place you get the bigsby without much trouble though.

This was an excellent thread, I def. appreciate your work on this. I do think the differences are negligible.

I never bought a guitar before, so I assume 3 grand is in line with a high end guitar? If there was ever a time I needed to buy one, might as well snag an iconic prop at the same time!

This was an excellent thread, I def. appreciate your work on this. I do think the differences are negligible.

I never bought a guitar before, so I assume 3 grand is in line with a high end guitar? If there was ever a time I needed to buy one, might as well snag an iconic prop at the same time!

Well 3 grand would be a starting point! It depends on if its original, or reissue. It can get real pricy! But, that doesn't mean they aren't worth it! The tone and playability is what makes them special

^Appreciate that, I guess that's like everything really. There is always a VERY cheap and VERY expensive version of fill the blank.:lol

Someday I would like to learn, its always been a dream of mine.

Cool!

Just out of interest, what guitar did he use in the Pinheads tryout scene?

It's an Ibanez, maybe a Roadstar II or possibly an Aria Pro II...hard to tell without really good close-ups, as they are essentially the same guitar.

:thumbsup

Yeah, $3k is about right for a guitar like this.

From what I understand, Hondo took over production of the Chiquita guitars (and sold them cheaper). If you need to respray it anyway, the name on the headstock may not be an issue anyway, plus this might give you more options as far as looking for one.

Good luck. I've always loved the guitars in BTTF.

Yeh, I've often thought about having one of Marty's guitars in my collection, my favourite being the Chiquita (as I love that scene as much as the guitar itself).

Really great seeing this thread and the guitars being discussed.....

Just a little update to this thread...

I've learned that a man by the name of Norman Harris supplied the Gibson guitar for the making of BTTF. Norm is a guitar dealer who deals in high end guitars for the rich and famous and has provided guitars for various movies over the years.

I have emailed Norm and his staff with a few questions about it and hopefully they will get back to me with some helpful info. I'll post another update when I hear back from them.

:thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back