Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Feb 2, 2010, 1:08 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #26

My guess is, that the lower valve is functional
  2. SithLord is offline SithLord
    Feb 2, 2010, 5:51 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #27

Well, I still think it is from a power respirator mask....keep in mind that they would have to make blue copies of the shield because that's the only way you could get the bluescreen/cgi effects to blend. If it was just a clear shield they wouldn't be able to combine effects. So I don't think it is from a mask and they custom made the shield.

Something else....but not quite there yet....

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive-...147611&sr=8-11
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Feb 2, 2010, 7:37 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #28

The Scott Vision 2 looks like this:

And I look charming in this
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Feb 2, 2010, 8:36 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #29

defyitall said: View Post
    Well, I believe the reflections were CG, yes. Not sure if they laid it on top of the glass or the glass was fully CG.
    I've seen some behind the shots, I think in the making of specials that are online, and you can see when Jake is rolling off the ship on Pandora for the first time, there is no glass in the mask. So, in at least some situations, the glass was all CG... But they obviously made some with real glass/plastic as well...
    From
    Orange County, CA
    Feb 3, 2010, 3:07 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #30

WhiteCommando said: View Post
    anyone note the face masks are blue?
    I thought they were blue because they have a protective, peel-off film on them to prevent scratches, like how a lot of display faces of consumer products are packaged.

From
    Northern Minnesota
    Feb 3, 2010, 3:05 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #31

yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. A lot of factory plexiglass ships with a peel off plastic coating to keep it from getting scratched during shipment.
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Feb 3, 2010, 6:12 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #32

It's also much larger covering the cheeks and chin and the sidelines are straight - I really don't think it will be bringing us much forward, it is definitely custom stuff. Either you are lucky bidding on those props, getting hands on some WETA guys or it'll come as a replica prop or making themself. All other methodes are just a compromise to get close to the Exopack.
    From
    Sherman,TX
    Mar 2, 2010, 7:19 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #33

I think the powered style looks the best so far...another option might be looking at scuba masks...long shot...but who knows. They may be scratch built.
    From
    Sherman,TX
    Mar 2, 2010, 7:24 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #34

also here is another that looks like a starting point.
  10. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 13, 2010, 1:58 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #35

Hi,

I make virtual props in Second Life and am on my 3rd round of making these masks and the powered filtration pack. I just bought the film on DVD and am now able to see a few more examples of the mask and pack than I was from the publicity tabletop shot (shown earlier in this thread).

I thought I'd share some observations:

• The film masks probably replaced the lens because no commercial mask seems to be without the interior cone that covers the mouth and nose. I think you are right in your theory that WETA just used an existing mask and replaced the lens with ones they fabricated in-house (as seen in that workshop photo). Having that cone is undesirable because the actors' faces are obscured---the reason for making the full face show and WETA having to create a customized mask.

• The masks seem to have an air supply hose (cyan color in the film) and a black hose that I am guessing is wiring for a communication system. You can see a coil where the black hose/tube enters the mask. There is no coiled section to the cyan colored tube. Also there seem to be some black snap-on tube guides and some sort of squarish button control along the tubes. Could this be a communications control?

• What the box on the right temple is could be anybody's guess. It only can be seen on a few actors, including the door gunner in the chopper when Jake makes his first mission (and is subsequently lost).

• I looked to see if I could find anything like the filtration unit. My guess is that WETA modded an actual filtration unit buy adding that bottle, or it is something else entirely, like a roto-molded canteen or even a spray tank off a bug sprayer or yard fertilizer.

• I have made costume breathing masks before and to keep them from fogging you can blow air into them and have it exit near the mouth

• I am frustrated on the film examples because I cannot tell how or where the tubes attach to the filtration unit. Does anybody have any insight to this?

• The filtration unit is suspended by a web strap that is typically work diagonally across the chest. It is unclear exactly how the strap attaches to the filtration unit but one can presume a strap end attaches to each side. Note that you can sometimes see it worn so that the bottle is sideways and sometimes so that the bottle is on top.

• The film bottles seem to be gloss black with a cyan/blue bottom

That's it for now. I am still tying to make sense of this. Of course, my job is made much easier by the fact I am making a virtual model and not a real one.

Cheers,
    Nix
  11. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 13, 2010, 2:14 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #36

Here's one of my earlier versions, intended to be the same "flavor" as the ones in the film but purposefully NOT an exact copy:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/...23537e23_b.jpg

Nix
    From
    Essex, UK
    May 13, 2010, 5:38 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #37

Well, I think the top one out of these two looks good, even the strap points are similar
  13. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 19, 2010, 12:02 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #38

More possible source material for you:

(I found this because I have sleep apnea and I am looking for a full face mask as I've heard they are more comfortable then nasal pillows or mouth guards).

http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Respiro..._p_10-565.html

From
    Aachen, Germany
    May 19, 2010, 11:27 AM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #39

As I stated, my guess is, it's custom made - the mask you've posted only goes to the chin, but the exopack goes under the chin.
  15. Finhead is offline Finhead
    May 19, 2010, 12:24 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #40

Not sure if this was posted yet didn't see it. But this looks like it could be moded fairly easily.

May 14, 2012, 1:36 PM - Re: Avatar: Gas Mask replicas? #41

Avatar RDA face mask is based on 3M full face respirator 6000 series (6800 is the common retail model). Why building a fake mask when there is a real thing that you can buy at low price? Home Depot is selling it for around $110 with one set of filter and retainer.