I started this thing in June of last year, so there's a thick coat of dust on this puppy. After wiping the dust off, I've been back to work on it over the last few days. It needs to be done for Anime Weekend Atlanta in urg. 5 days, and I have til Thursday to git er' done
For those who aren't familiar with the thing, the glider I'm working on is Leonardo da Vinci's "flying machine" from Assassin's Creed II
The blueprints were (for obvious reasons) rather large, so i just printed the main body and one wing.. I made it 15 feet across (scaled down from the 23 or so I guesstimated ), because the components need to fit in my car.
Since I don't have an oversized printer, after drawing up the blues, I printed out i think around 60 sheets of 8 1/2x 11s, and spent the day taping the buggers together PosteRazor would have made this easier :p
The main body is mdf on one side, and masonite/insulation foam/tagboard on the other. The body was painted with some old thick paint and a cheapo brush that I intentionally let paint dry on
I've been using 1/8" thick masonite for the top, insulation foam for the core, and the sides are tagboard. Though individually flimsy, when glued together (using hot glue lol) they're actually fairly strong
So yeah.. lots and lots and lots of this :p
left to right-
-Masonite board, cut to shape
-insulation foam, also cut to shape (i later found if i just glued the Masonite to the foam sheet, I could then just use the edge to cut it out faster.)
- cut out & glued together
-hot glued the sides on :)
I found that a quick way to cut the tagboard strips (instead of measuring out every one) was to take a straight edge, and attach some tagboard scrap to the bottom, laid out the width i needed for the edge. I then just slide the sheet under it til it butts into the tagboard glued underneath, and cut away. Think I had to do around 100 or so strips for one size alone :p
I am concerned with (amongst other things) Torsional strength. (twisting the spines), I'll need to work around that real quick, though I think (and hope) the fabric they will sandwich will help provide additional support.
Here's the state when it was ditched in July 2010 ^^; Its a lil more beige now from all the dust.
Over the last 4 days, I've cut and assembled the other 28 spines that are left.
Some of them I had doubled up, to provide extra support and give the wings more dimension.
Though i had a vague idea of how i was going to connect the part together, I hadn't actually done any blues/ schematics for the connections. Wound up engaged in a lot of hawt snip/glue/ bull****tery here til the parts connected right. The layers alternate between those of the inner and outer wing assemblies, and a peg will be run through the entire lot when done. here's to hoping that its strong enough! *fingercross*
Once one side was assembled, I flipped it over and mirrored the other parts by assembling it right on top of the finished one (hope that makes sense!) . It may be a couple mm off from the original blues, but as long as its aligned to the layer that will be attached to the other side, it'll be fine.
The outer sides of the spines will be covered after the fabric is stretched over them :)
And here's the current state of one side. I can't easily lay it out fully though, til that side of the basement gets cleared off