Arc Reactor Contest Builds

Ikariya

I'd like to share my process of making my AR. Everyone else is welcome to post Work in progress shots here as well!. Even though I didn't win, it was a rewarding process in economy and invention! Overall, I was going for a 'reveal' version inspired by another member's post with all the internal workings of the AR.

My Materials (ones not used are Xd out, plus copper wire)
dsc07257m.jpg

I started by going to a bunch of stores looking for cups or glass the size of the reactor circles. That didn't pan out right, so I decided to make my own out of plastic. I found some clear plastic boxes and cut the circles out with a dremel. The black parts are actually all from the cut mesh of the plastic box at the top of the first picture. They didn't come out as nicely as I had hoped, but they worked alright.
dsc07366r.jpg

Sorry the pic is a bit blurry...
dsc07367.jpg

I completed the ring with its 10 copper bindings using strips of aluminum cut from a pan as bases for the copper, then siding them with the black plastic. I decided at sometime past midnight one day that putting the silver strips and doodads on the bottom black parts was cool, but in retrospect they look silly.
dsc07368rt.jpg

I used the black plastic and salt shaker parts for the lower portion. Parts of a poached egg holder, tea strainer, and copper wire for used the middle. The top I had to use cardboard from the tea strainer box for the black plate because I ran out of time, so it isn't as accurate as I'd like.
dsc07383z.jpg

dsc07382j.jpg

There you have it! I really enjoyed making this AR out of nearly nothing and hope to be in the next constest! Thanks for looking!
dsc07377e.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back