Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 28, 2009, 8:52 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #101

RebellionBarbie, is that photo of a screen used still suit, and if it is, where did you get it? That's the first close-up I've seen!
    From
    Greater Boston area, MA
    Dec 28, 2009, 4:00 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #102

It is indeed! Paul's hero suit, the one Prop Store of London auctioned off several months ago. They had 4 hi def pics, I almost fell out of my chair when I found them, I'd never seen any pictures of this caliber either:

http://www.propstore.com/full-image.htm?imageId=72883

I've also decided to try to take on the task of building a replica Thumper with moving parts and sound, run a few ideas past my dad who's a far superior mechanic than I lol. He's had a few ideas so far but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear em.
    Dec 29, 2009, 9:26 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #103

Thanks for the link RebellionBarbie, I have never seen those before!

As for the thumper, I have plans to make one. I thought about using the motor from a toy to drive the "thumping" piston and an MP3 player for the sound.
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Dec 29, 2009, 10:31 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #104

I remember right after seeing Dune when it was released, I was in elementary school and our jump ropes looked just like the ropes they used to ride the worms. Me and my friends would play Fremen (we lived in the deserts of New Mexico so it wasn't a far stretch). Just the segments of plastic were shorter on our jump ropes then the worm harnesses they used.
    Dec 29, 2009, 12:05 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #105

RebellionBarbie said: View Post
    It is indeed! Paul's hero suit, the one Prop Store of London auctioned off several months ago. They had 4 hi def pics, I almost fell out of my chair when I found them, I'd never seen any pictures of this caliber either:

http://www.propstore.com/full-image.htm?imageId=72883

Wow, you can really tell it did not age well, huh.
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Dec 29, 2009, 1:17 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #106

Lord fettI heard that it was just black electrical tape that was wrapped in sections around the rope

Dec 29, 2009, 4:12 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #107

I would think heat shrink tubing would be better for a replica (if you wanted it to last awhile and look good), electrical tape has a tendency to stop sticking to itself after awhile, leaving sticky residue on itself and the material it's stuck too.
    Dec 29, 2009, 10:10 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #108

BlueHarvest said: View Post
    Lord fettI heard that it was just black electrical tape that was wrapped in sections around the rope

I doubt it. We had rope like that called "static line" in the USMC. It would be easier to buy off the shelf rope than to wrap tape on a several 100ft of rope on a set.
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Dec 29, 2009, 10:37 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #109

DrStranglove said: View Post
    I doubt it. We had rope like that called "static line" in the USMC. It would be easier to buy off the shelf rope than to wrap tape on a several 100ft of rope on a set.
    All the static line I'm finding looks nothing like that. I'll keep nosing around and see what I can find.
    Dec 30, 2009, 12:32 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #110

LordFett said: View Post
    All the static line I'm finding looks nothing like that. I'll keep nosing around and see what I can find.
    Well, it is from 1984. But we had stuff a lot like it as early as 2000. I even remember calling it "Dune Rope." But to be sure I have not seen it since.
    From
    Greater Boston area, MA
    Jan 3, 2010, 5:04 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #111

I remember right after seeing Dune when it was released, I was in elementary school and our jump ropes looked just like the ropes they used to ride the worms. Me and my friends would play Fremen (we lived in the deserts of New Mexico so it wasn't a far stretch). Just the segments of plastic were shorter on our jump ropes then the worm harnesses they used.

Omg I used to think the same thing hahaha! I was actually thinking to myself "maybe I should go back to school and yoink a couple of jumpropes and presto I'll have my 'rope' "

Yknow that hook looks oddly familiar too, I wonder if that was made for the movie, because it looks like something they'd carry in like a BoatsUS or something. I'll see if I can't check it out...

Anyone have any suggestions for what sort of motor would work well in a Thumper? I'm looking to see if I can find any sort of toys that have moving parts like that but not having much luck since I don't exactly know what to look for lol.

And I just bought some of the materials to make a mock-up/small section of a stillstuit. Once I get all the materials I'll be putting it together to see how it looks. Won't be a whole stillsuit yet (the male stillsuits I have much better pictures of so I don't want to start with my own), gotta make sure my technique and materials are visually sound before I get mats for a full suit. I'll post progress pics once I have some!
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Jan 3, 2010, 5:35 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #112

Anyone have any suggestions for what sort of motor would work well in a Thumper?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMM6&P=7
    An electric motor for an RC truck.
    From
    Greater Boston area, MA
    Jan 3, 2010, 11:32 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #113

Thanks man! You're the best! I'll see what I can do to make it all work. Still trying to find some decent refs, the DVD quality leaves something to be desired.
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Jan 3, 2010, 11:47 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #114

Still trying to find some decent refs, the DVD quality leaves something to be desired.
    Doesn't seem to be on Blu-Ray still. I found a forum where someone said they had a copy in April of 08 but I can't find it for sale on BR now. I did find it on Amazon on HD-DVD though. http://www.amazon.com/Dune-HD-DVD-Fr...2583867&sr=8-3

I don't have either a BR or HD player so sadly I can't help with screen caps, maybe someone else can.

Found this while looking for thumper images. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=309083
    From
    Greater Boston area, MA
    Jan 4, 2010, 12:11 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #115

Ooh HD DVD is better than what I've currently got. (Seriously it's like watching the movie through a prism, I haven't been able to watch more than 10 minutes on my big screen without getting nauseous, no joke! >.<)
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Jan 4, 2010, 12:17 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #116

And it is only like $6. If I had an HD-DVD drive I'd grab it for screen caps alone. I'm going to have to dig out my copy to watch it again.
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Jan 4, 2010, 12:36 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #117

BlueHarvest said: View Post
    I just read this as well, the hook was black resin and ~24" and the rope is orange twine bound with black tape at regular intervals.
    Jan 4, 2010, 9:15 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #118

That must be some pretty thick twine. I live in an area full of cattle farms and ranches, I even drive right over a thick clump of orange twine just yesterday.

What's in that photo does not look like orange twine.

Not calling you a liar LordFett, but saying from experience that this info appears wrong.
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Jan 4, 2010, 9:20 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #119

dropshipbob said: View Post
    Not calling you a liar LordFett, but saying from experience that this info appears wrong.
    I think it is from the description of a PiH auction and I have a feeling that twine was just a broad term used by someone who doesn't know the difference between twine and rope. I thought about changing it to rope but since I was quoting I didn't want to get into all of that.
    Jan 4, 2010, 9:38 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #120

Ahhh, gotcha, I beg your pardon then.
  21. Purveyor of awesomeness RPF Premium Member Rylo's Avatar
    Jan 4, 2010, 12:49 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #121

While it's been 20 years; having examined a DUNE rope, I do recall it being wrapped in black tape. It wasn't plastic electrical tape, it was a black fabric tape.

-Rylo
    From
    Hoth Maryland
    Jan 4, 2010, 1:04 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #122

Rylo said: View Post
    While it's been 20 years; having examined a DUNE rope, I do recall it being wrapped in black tape. It wasn't plastic electrical tape, it was a black fabric tape.
    I figured they used gaffer tape, 1 roll wide. Do you recall the diameter of the rope and was it indeed orange? I have a feeling it was solid colored climbing rope or static line with the gaffer tape 1 width between wrappings.
  23. Purveyor of awesomeness RPF Premium Member Rylo's Avatar
    Jan 4, 2010, 1:18 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #123

It's been years, I could even guess.

I only remembered the tape because (like others have noted) I thought it looked like old school jump roaps at a distance.

I figured they used gaffer tape, 1 roll wide. Do you recall the diameter of the rope and was it indeed orange? I have a feeling it was solid colored climbing rope or static line with the gaffer tape 1 width between wrappings.
    From
    Greater Boston area, MA
    Jan 7, 2010, 11:21 PM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #124

So I've begun scoping out what I need for the thumper. Still fixing to work out how I want the piston to function/how it's gonna be put together, but I think I know some of the parts I'm using and I've begun ordering them.

Buuut I'm very excited to say the major materials I want to use for the stillsuit are totally sound in principle. I threw together a mockup tonight (haven't taken pics since the rubber hasn't dried, I was too impatient haha) and while it's really a rough draft, it was only to see if the rubber was going to work right and I think it may have! I have to work out what exactly I want to use for padding since I'm not happy at ALL with the uncovered furniture foam I used for one part of it, and they didn't have the right strips of rubber at Lowes so I used some old stuff I had lying around while I wait for my order of correct tape comes in. Wrong number of ridges, and it was white so I colored it with permanent marker just to get me through the mockup LOL.

But all in all, given those factors, it still looks like it will work for a full sized suit once I get all the kinks ironed out. I'm gonna have to figure out how to get my hands on a mannequin to work off of.

I'll post pics when the rubber is fully dry, and I'm also gonna throw a little fullers earth on it for a pic to give it a "desert look". I definitely need to reevaluate how I want to make the padding though. What I did will not work on a costume because it won't bend and conform right. It'd work nice on a display though.

EDIT: What would you all say the color of the rope is btw? It looks sorta...orangey...red....white....I can't put a single color on it but then it also looks like the whole thing is covered in tape. If all of it is fabric tape like the hockey tape I have lying around, I could see it being covered in black and white then dipped in a kind of reddish dye....
    Last edited by RebellionBarbie; Jan 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM.
  25. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    Jan 8, 2010, 12:21 AM - Re: Anyone make DUNE props? #125

As far as the still suit goes, here are my thoughts in regard to construction:

1-2 mil wetsuit for the under suit. A separate farmer john zip-front jacket in 1-2 mil.

Using surgical tubing make the 'hydration tubes' and glue them down with wetsuit glue.

Sculpt the 'muscles' out of another layer of 2-3 mil wetsuit material. Add thin craft foam to ad bulk if needed.

Lastly brush on Plastidip or whatever laytex the batman crowd uses to smooth over their batsuits. This would blend in the seams. Can Plastidip be thinned and sprayed with an airbrush?

Finish off color with an airbrush.

Im sure everyone here has seen the below link.

http://www.duneinfo.com/arrakis/stillsuits.asp