Any tips on making bone replicas or mythological skeleton displays? Taxidermy maybe?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been thinking about making a replica of the Mongolian Death Worm, but I saw a pretty awesome fake built up, and I have no idea how they did it.

N1nJ4kU.jpg

I was thinking of something like this, but with a snake skeleton for the body, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they do bone work for things like the teeth or the jaw or skull area.

Sort of like a cross between the 3d printed skeleton of one on shapeways (which I own), and a Goauld from Stargate.

Kinda stumped, so any help's appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is random small bones from various animals, maybe an eel skeleton/skull to match the snake one, and even then I am kinda lost as to how to pose the little guy and keep him in that position.

Chris

Re: Any tips on making bone replicas or mythological skeleton displays? Taxidermy may

Well if I had to make it, I would cut a pile of discs out of slightly crumpled cardboard and glue on tissue paper to them and then glue it all to a thick guage wire. Then glue tissue over the wire/spine then brush the thing down with elmers glue or latex.

looks like crab pinchers on the head to make mandables

then paint! (i cant make out much about the head in the pick)

I'm sure Propnomicon might be able to give a more informed response than me. I need to see if i can make one now!!

Re: Any tips on making bone replicas or mythological skeleton displays? Taxidermy may

Not trying to make that exact replica, but more of a version where that meets those rattlesnake displays where the snake's skeleton is on display like it's about to strike.

Awesome idea though :)

Chris

I've been thinking about making a replica of the Mongolian Death Worm, but I saw a pretty awesome fake built up, and I have no idea how they did it.

http://i.imgur.com/N1nJ4kU.jpg

I was thinking of something like this, but with a snake skeleton for the body, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they do bone work for things like the teeth or the jaw or skull area.

Sort of like a cross between the 3d printed skeleton of one on shapeways (which I own), and a Goauld from Stargate.

Kinda stumped, so any help's appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is random small bones from various animals, maybe an eel skeleton/skull to match the snake one, and even then I am kinda lost as to how to pose the little guy and keep him in that position.

Chris

The body of that worm is a the egg case of Busycon carica, the knobbed whelk. Based on the average length of same I'd guess that the mandibles are the two sides of a small mammal's jawbone, something like a fox or coyote.

The original creator of that piece was Dr. Takeshi Yamada. He picks up a lot of his raw material from the beaches around the Coney Island area. Please don't take that as any kind of criticism- he's a legend in the gaff community, and rightfully so.

Cordially,
Propnomicon

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure Propnomicon might be able to give a more informed response than me. I need to see if i can make one now!!

I try. Heh.

My apologies for not noticing the thread sooner.

Cordially,
Propnomicon

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back