Aliens M577APC Full size build discussion thread

fwiw:

(images courtesy Harry Harris)

apctug1.jpg

apctug2.jpg

apctug4.jpg

Last edited:
Willie.....Master of all things Alien. :D

I don’t know why but when I read this the theme to Mission Imposable popped into my head. :ninja
Willie you never cease to amaze. What i would give for an hour alone on your pc with a tarabyte hard drive.

When I saw the title of the thread I had to re-read it once more to make sure I wasn't dreaming:eek You people are crazy...in a very good way of course! This would be the craziest 1:1 Alien project ever; you got my vote of confidence and me subscribing:)

Have you thought about using a hydrostatic transmission? It might be a good alternative if you can't find the right donor chassis.
Another benefit of hydrostat is that you have all the hydraulic supply you could want for operating turrets, or other automation.

Have you thought about using a hydrostatic transmission? It might be a good alternative if you can't find the right donor chassis.
Another benefit of hydrostat is that you have all the hydraulic supply you could want for operating turrets, or other automation.

That's why I was thinking Dieselectric - you can run the Diesel at its point of maximum efficiency/economy, you have full torque from zero speed, you effectively eliminate the need for transmissions (maybe a R&P reduction setup at each wheel, similar to a "portal axle," and an accessory hydraulic pump can be fitted to either end of the crankshaft - on the nose, as on rubbish trucks; or at the rear, between the engine and dynamo.

Elimination of the transmission also reduces packaging requirements for the drivetrain - and since it can me made to weight considerably less than the twenty-odd tonnes of the original, we have reduced need for drivetrain power anyhow.

Give me a couple of days to find my desk, I plan to go through and scan the relevant pages in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual to give us more baseline data.

JDK

So what happened to it after the movie?

Didn't Ripley break the transaxle? It was distroyed on LV-426. ;)

From what I understand the full scale Aliens APC sat outside the 007 Stage at Pinewood for awhile, and then it was scrapped. :cry

That's really unfortunate.. Why does every story about an Alien(s) prop end with "and then it sat outside somewhere and was destroyed".

Seems that’s the case with most vehicles, boats, built on site sets. Easier and cheaper to scrap, then to store them. I think that “if” they knew there would be a big following latter, then they may have looked at it differently.
When Star wars, Raiders, Aliens, etc. came out. I would have never believed that there would such a large group of fans still today.

That's why I was thinking Dieselectric - you can run the Diesel at its point of maximum efficiency/economy, you have full torque from zero speed, you effectively eliminate the need for transmissions (maybe a R&P reduction setup at each wheel, similar to a "portal axle," and an accessory hydraulic pump can be fitted to either end of the crankshaft - on the nose, as on rubbish trucks; or at the rear, between the engine and dynamo.

Elimination of the transmission also reduces packaging requirements for the drivetrain - and since it can me made to weight considerably less than the twenty-odd tonnes of the original, we have reduced need for drivetrain power anyhow.

Give me a couple of days to find my desk, I plan to go through and scan the relevant pages in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual to give us more baseline data.

JDK

Yep, that was my thinking too. I have more experience with hydrostat, because many types of farm equipment around here uses that style of drive (self-propelled sprayers, mowers, that kind of thing). Plus, hydraulic components are more available here than high-power electric vehicle drivetrain parts.

Also, here in Iowa, at least, if you put a slow-moving vehicle placcard on it, and stay off the interstate, you can drive nearly anything on-road. That may not be an option in states that don't have to write traffic regulation to deal with farm machinery the size of a small house driving down the back roads, though.

Yep, that was my thinking too. I have more experience with hydrostat, because many types of farm equipment around here uses that style of drive (self-propelled sprayers, mowers, that kind of thing). Plus, hydraulic components are more available here than high-power electric vehicle drivetrain parts.

Also, here in Iowa, at least, if you put a slow-moving vehicle placcard on it, and stay off the interstate, you can drive nearly anything on-road. That may not be an option in states that don't have to write traffic regulation to deal with farm machinery the size of a small house driving down the back roads, though.

Yeah, I know about the SMV triangles - grew up in Indiana. I've lived in smaller accommodations than some of the machines I've driven... ;)

The problem with hydraulics is that if you run too many hydraulic lines about, you're more likely to have a rupture. And, driving something that big is going to take a LOT of pressure. Ever see a "water knife" in action? I was on-scene when a crane hose got a pinhole, and a guy about 10 metres away ended up losing the better part of his arm. (He's still alive because I ALWAYS wear a belt!)

It's actually safer to run high-current electrical about than high-pressure hydraulic lines, when you break it all down...

I helped my dad on the sheep farm, and was cheap labor for my uncles' row-crop farm growing up, so I have seen burst hydraulic lines (scary stuff). For something like this, though, you'd mostly run them behind body panels, away from spectators or operators/occupants. Also, most of the circuit could be run with hard lines, and high flow rate systems can run on lower pressure, you just need larger diameter lines.

What speeds do you want this to hit? If it's just running in parades and driving up onto a trailer the system doesn't need much power, if you want highway speeds, I think your disel-electric hybrid is probably going to be better suited.

I take your point - but this is a "tank." How fast does it need to go?

I don't see any reason why it should need to hit a freeway cruising speed - how much time is it going to spend on the highway anyhow? If it's scaled down enough, it won't be overly difficult to put it on a lowboy if it needs to be moved a great distance - scratch guess would be a top speed of 40-50mph or so, I'd think. It's not like this is something you'd want to cruise the freeway in (unless you make the skin >1/2" thick and need to drive it about out here in California... ;) )

Opinions?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back