2-1B Medical Droid, anybody been working on one?

forttusken

I have been doing a little work on this bit by bit. I figure since the SW Science exhibit has been traveling the country perhaps some of you will have some insight into off the shelf parts or more pictures. I will be seeing it in October when it goes to Portland at OMSI.

I want to make mine have a moving head and arms so I am trying to solve the problems of having those parts move as well as attaching drive systems.

Here are some raw materials:
rawalum_21b.jpg

After searching high and low for a 6" swivel or lazy susan I fianlly decided to make my own neck rings out of 6" tubing. I machined an inset into each side and still need to figure out how to hold them together.
neckrings_21b.jpg

Some parts I will be using from the hardware store. I haven't found much but am always on the lookout. Most of this droid will have to be scratch built.
hdwrparts_21b.jpg

I have updated my webpage in the 2-1B section.

Great pictures, thanks. Perhaps your friend could post here on his progress? It seems there aren't many of us working on this droid. Zorg's run of heads has certainly helped get things started though.

<div class='quotetop'>(forttusken @ Aug 16 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]1301701[/snapback]</div>
Great pictures, thanks. Perhaps your friend could post here on his progress? It seems there aren't many of us working on this droid. Zorg's run of heads has certainly helped get things started though.
[/b]

alas, his only progress is that he got a zorg head :-/

I have the Zorg head, but haven't gotten much past the research yet.
I'm only doing the head and I'm altering it to one of the ESB styles. Once I started looking into it I see he changed frequently- to the point I wonder if there's more than one copy of the droid. I think there's 3 variations in ESB alone.
His current state on display is ROTJ obviously.

I'm working on figuring out all the eye detail pieces. I will also be removing the cones and replacing the mouth with a real microphone piece.

I did track down the braided ESB tubing at smallparts.com (1cm OD tubing seems right)
I believe I have to order 10 feet of it so if anyone else needs any LMK.
I think smallparts has the ROTJ style Tygon beverage tubing (TYGON ® B - 44 - 3) as well.

I'd love to add the clear neck and neck ring to mine if you make spares.

I think I found the perfect paint for 2-1B at Michael's Arts and Crafts. I'll post the info once I buy it.
It's an expensive can so I'm waiting for the 40% off coupon in the weekly sale paper.

Chris,
It is great to hear your details, particularly about the paint. I agree there are some major differences between the ESB and ROTJ droids and will watch for other differences. While building mine I am making a bit of a hybrid and combining what I like best about each as well as making minor changes based on available materials. I just want it to look accurate to most people and be something I am happy with.

Do you know anything about Chapter II Productions which is listed on the preliminary plans in the Art of ESB Book? Is there anyone around who built the droids that we could contact for more information? Some of the question I have (which may be answered once I see the prop in person) are:
What is the torso made of? Vacuuform plastic, cast resin?

How does the neck and arms swivel? Custom machined parts or off the shelf bearings? If so where can they be purchased?

What are the knee boxes?

What is the chest piece exactly on each version? It looks like Zorg has nailed the ROTJ version (speaker basket or cone) but what about the ESB?
2-1B_T_003.JPG

This page has some good ESB pictures.www.starwarssource.net

How was the prop animated? Neck rotate, arm swivel etc? We know that most of the arm and claw was going to be done with a separate arm with offscreen help for closeups. A rolling base for moving the droid with cables was used when he pivots around.

I also read today that the droid in ROTS is a 2-1B model but not supposed to be the same droid as in the other movies.
If anyone can answer these questions or if I have any facts wrong let me know.

Hi guys,

It's kind of wierd to hear about 2-1b. I don't think there's been a thread on him in quite a long time, that is until now. The wierd part is that I just acquired a Zorg head this week and am looking forward to completing just the head part. I hope this thread keeps going for inspiration. Let's get these guys finished.

Steveo

I have a Zorg head too :)

I've been working on trying to sand the right eye so it looks the same as the left (mine was just a tad droopy but with a little work that'll easily look perfect)

I'm gonna go for the ESB version as well, but I like the blueish chest detail piece of the other so I might use that.

I'm going to try and work on the neck for myself mid september when I have a little time off work, I'm going to make a mock up using foamcore and clay, cast it, make a hollow plaster pull, drill it, and vac form clear vinal or thin acrylic sheets over that.

-Mikie

<div class='quotetop'>(forttusken @ Aug 16 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]1301876[/snapback]</div>
Do you know anything about Chapter II Productions which is listed on the preliminary plans in the Art of ESB Book? Is there anyone around who built the droids that we could contact for more information?
[/b]

Chapter II is just the production company name set up by LFL solely for producing ESB.
I have no idea who we could ask about such specific details. I doubt anyone would remember much anyway.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
What is the chest piece exactly on each version? It looks like Zorg has nailed the ROTJ version (speaker basket or cone) but what about the ESB?
2-1B_T_003.JPG

This page has some good ESB pictures.www.starwarssource.net
[/b]

No idea on the ESB chest piece. I've been concentrating on all the face add ons.
I'm going for the ESB Hoth medical center version as seen in the pics on that site.
On the medical frigate at the end of ESB he has the head cones and a large coiled piece under the microphone.

Also of note 2-1B currently on display has nothing inside of his microphone/mouth, but there seems to have been some detail in there for ESB.

Good Luck Guys. This project seems as about as difficult as my IG88 project will be.

I would like to see some pictures of the different variants if they easy to post.

Also - there was a shop in Canada that did an O.K. job at making one. I think it was something like Alberta Industrial or something. If anyone really needs to know - I'm sure I can find it.

i wish i never sold the one on my avatar now. i cant be bothered doing another one.

i have one left if anyones interested ;)

zorgybaby

For reference, here's the info for the ESB style braided hose from smallparts.com

Part number: BRPH-3-10
BRAID REINFORCED PVC HOSE 3/16
10'
$3.60

I just ordered some.
Shipping was $8.95

10 feet is obviously more than enough for the one head I'm doing so if anyone wants to buy a few feet LMK.

I will be scavenging for the rest of the ESB head parts over the next month and will make sure and pick up extras.

Stormy320 - IG-88 is my other droid head project going on right now. The head itself should be easy. I'll share all my blueprints once I finish them and pick up spare parts too when I can.

Zorg - C-3PO will be my next droid head. I'm in for one of those when you start making them again.

A 4-LOM would be awesome to add to the lineup too, but I have so many other projects to build.

I've got a Zorg head, too. :) I'll be working on just the head and neck.

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ Aug 17 2006, 06:00 AM) [snapback]1301779[/snapback]</div>
I did track down the braided ESB tubing at smallparts.com (1cm OD tubing seems right)
I believe I have to order 10 feet of it so if anyone else needs any LMK.[/b]
I'd love to get in on this, lonepigeon. PM sent. :love

I am also interested in the neck ring and clear neck parts, if anyone decides to do a run.

Glad to see this thread here. I look forward to seeing people's 2-1Bs take shape. It should be very inspiring. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ Aug 17 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1302136[/snapback]</div>
10 feet is obviously more than enough for the one head I'm doing so if anyone wants to buy a few feet LMK.

I will be scavenging for the rest of the ESB head parts over the next month and will make sure and pick up extras.[/b]
Didn't see this before my previous post.

PM sent on the tubing. And please do pick up extras of any head parts you find. That's very thoughtful of you. It can be hard to find the right stuff here in Tokyo. :confused

I've got the correct microphone part coming from Shure. They wouldn't ship to Japan, but a buddy of mine in the States is forwarding it for me. :love

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormy320 @ Aug 17 2006, 05:40 AM) [snapback]1302121[/snapback]</div>
Good Luck Guys. This project seems as about as difficult as my IG88 project will be.

I would like to see some pictures of the different variants if they easy to post.

Also - there was a shop in Canada that did an O.K. job at making one. I think it was something like Alberta Industrial or something. If anyone really needs to know - I'm sure I can find it.
[/b]

Yes I just contacted them, this is the response:
>Hi, I am a member of the RPF and am working on a full scale 2-1B droid.
>I was wondering if you would be willing to share how you made the clear
>plastic parts of the droid, are they resin or vac formed? Did you use a
>clay model as a master?
>
>
>Thanks,
>
>
>Chris Stone
>
>AKA Forttusken

IIRC, those parts were vac-formed.

I don't remember much about the construction of that droid. The guy who did most of the work no longer works for me.

P:)

<div class='quotetop'>(kell @ Aug 17 2006, 06:04 AM) [snapback]1302126[/snapback]</div>
http://tk7602.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=161&pos=46

Is that a garage door spring ? Kinda looks like one.
[/b]

I assumed it was hose. I am using the blue and black pool vacuum hose for mine.

Hey Fort Tusken Chris, I can't find that book anywhere, but even if I did I just want that blueprint.

I don't suppose you have an extra copy handy? I'll gladly pay you for it and it would really help out my research with this project :)

pretty please ?

-Mikie

I picked up one small piece for my 2-1B tonight at Lowe's.
A reflective sticker that I'm going to punch out small circles from.
The two small dots on either side of 2-1B's head seem to be reflective material. At first I thought they were metal, but after looking at all the reference I think they're white/reflective.
I bought a sticker at Lowe's from the sign section for 68 cents. They have lots of number stickers, but the best one is just a period (.)- it leaves the most plain white/reflective area to use.
A couple seconds with a hole punch and I'll have lots of little dot stickers.

On a somewhat related note - I'm going to use aluminum tape to cover the 1/2" seam line down the middle of his head.

A short thread sidetrack... I was browsing eBay and came across a fiberglass Derwent flame tube replica.
Since we can't post live auctions I won't, but the seller can make several so don't go outbidding other RPFers.
Original tubes are very expensive, so maybe these replicas will spark more interest in IG-88 builders.
Just trying to encourage other droid collections :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Mikie-Wan @ Aug 18 2006, 01:20 AM) [snapback]1302686[/snapback]</div>
Hey Fort Tusken Chris, I can't find that book anywhere, but even if I did I just want that blueprint.

I don't suppose you have an extra copy handy? I'll gladly pay you for it and it would really help out my research with this project :)

pretty please ?

-Mikie
[/b]
Here are the plans.

I have been working hard machining parts for the arms all weekend. It has been going well. I should be reasy to put most of an arm together soon.

I may be able to provide a limited number of the neck rings if all you want is a single plain ring. Like I said before they are difficlult to deal with on my lathe due to the size. I still don't know how to attach them to the other pieces. Any ideas? The rings have an OD of 6.00".

I think a single 6" diameter ring should be a fairly simple part to find. I will keep an eye out for something.
Most of us won't need a nice functional neck ring like you've made.

A couple ideas off the top of my head - a needlepoint hoop or a lampshade trim ring. I saw a couple nice rings on lamps at Lowe's but they were the wrong diameter.

The tops of the knees look like Air Intake Horns from a carb.... maybe motorcycle? Could be any type of carb mfg. but the flange on the bottom is connected to it and I found a similar flange on a horn wiht a slight bend to it. Above that maybe a shock absorber spring into the top - alum tubing, then a cut 4 inch vacuum hose painted over a bit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back