1996 Don Post Classic Action Vader Helmet Repair Help *pics*

cld213

First, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section (mods please move if necessary)

Some quick info on this Vader Helmet:

It was produced in 1996 by Don Post studios under license from Lucasfilm. It's made of Vinyl and was cast and based off of their fiberglass deluxe model which was produced from an original ESB Helmet.

I'm hoping to get some help and guidance from some of the experts here for going about repairing a few things on a 1996 Don Post Classic Action Vader Helmet.

Not really sure when or how this happened but there is a wishbone shaped crack forming near the seam of the ridge that velcros the dome and holds it at an appropriate height. Pulling the dome from the velcro might have made it worse so i'll be leaving it off for now.

Could I get some info or opinions on what adhesive to use to secure the crack to prevent further splitting and options for covering the seams?

The dome also has some light scuffing and scratches as is typical with these helmets. Is it possible to repair/hide some of the "damage" on the dome? If so what are some of the tools/methods for this?

Many thanks and I hope someone out there has some information or can at least point me in the right direction. This is a great helmet and I have only my self to blame for the lack of care/neglect. Lesson learned and never again!

The wishbone shaped crack on the left side of the helmet

Last photo for over all reference

Last edited:
As for scuffs/swirl marks on it, I used 3M swirl mark remover for dark colors, then used Megiuars 3 step wax/polish system on my DP Royal Guard helmet. I had used those products quite a few times on cars and that combo (along with a good prewash, clay bar, another another wash before applying) gives the best finish I've seen, as far as depth and gloss (depth being very noticeable). I had no idea how it would do on vinyl though, but happy to report, same results. I wish I had taken some before photos, I would have liked to have done a before and after along with a how to on using the products. The 3M swirl mark remover is just rubbed on and actually does most of the repair work, then wiped off before drying. As for the 3 step system, starts with a cleaner wax ( rubbed on and wiped off before drying), polish (rubbed on and wiped off before drying), and carnuba wax ( rubeed on, let dry, then rubbed off). Pretty simple to use and doesn't take long on something the size of a helmet.

If everything is done correctly, you'll be schocked at the results. All together the products might be more than you want to put into it, but once you see the results, you'll want to use it on your car (though there's the additional washes and clay barring for the best finish and given the size it takes much longer of course).

As for scuffs/swirl marks on it, I used 3M swirl mark remover for dark colors, then used Megiuars 3 step wax/polish system on my DP Royal Guard helmet. I had used those products quite a few times on cars and that combo (along with a good prewash, clay bar, another another wash before applying) gives the best finish I've seen, as far as depth and gloss (depth being very noticeable). I had no idea how it would do on vinyl though, but happy to report, same results. I wish I had taken some before photos, I would have liked to have done a before and after along with a how to on using the products. The 3M swirl mark remover is just rubbed on and actually does most of the repair work, then wiped off before drying. As for the 3 step system, starts with a cleaner wax ( rubbed on and wiped off before drying), polish (rubbed on and wiped off before drying), and carnuba wax ( rubeed on, let dry, then rubbed off). Pretty simple to use and doesn't take long on something the size of a helmet.

If everything is done correctly, you'll be schocked at the results. All together the products might be more than you want to put into it, but once you see the results, you'll want to use it on your car (though there's the additional washes and clay barring for the best finish and given the size it takes much longer of course).

That sounds like it will do the trick thanks for the info Luke! Ordering items as we speak. Maybe I'll do the before and after if things turn out well and post the results in a week or so.

Thanks again for the info guys, exactly what i was looking for!

Feel free to shoot me a PM about using any of the stuff when it arrives. It's simple, just takes using the product some to get the hang of it.

That sounds like it will do the trick thanks for the info Luke! Ordering items as we speak. Maybe I'll do the before and after if things turn out well and post the results in a week or so.

Thanks again for the info guys, exactly what i was looking for!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back