This has been a bit of a take two for me. I started a yoda saber based off a bolsey a couple of years ago and after a particularly busy time with a move and a new baby the build was put on hold just as i was nearly finished. Three things spurred me back into action with the desire to finish this bad boy up; 1. Life settled down a bit 2. @sjanish happened to have the original molds for the unidentified activator switch and the grips which he made available here on the RPF 3. @mugatu ,the saint that he is, offered me a real praco that he somehow managed to find. At first i turned him down because i was 90% done with my bolsey based build but after sleeping on it a night i had to accept his offer, i could not resist. The second time around it is a pretty quick build so here are some in progress pics.
here are the parts i am using:
1. praco flash
2. Real and correct lambo wheel (FUJIMI 1/16 Lamborghini countach LP500S)
3. PEM nut CLA-440-2
4. Activator switch cast from original
5. Grips cast from originals
The praco as i received it, even had the praco badge on it. One of the most difficult parts of this build is taking the black sleeve off which is then flipped upside down and used for the "clamp". One of the two pins unscrews but the other has to be drilled out, same for that circular button, as it is riveted in. The praco badge came right off without leaving behind any residue.
Here is an exploded view once it is taken apart and all the parts are layed out. now its just a matter of putting it all together again.
Below is where i am at right now, all that is left is to add the "oil pan" activator and the grips. Here are a couple of notes as to how i got here:
-Lambo wheel along with mounting screw was painted with tamiya black semi gloss which is really satin.
-the metal shrowd was bent back to match reference images of the original
-there is an existing hole where the PEM nut goes but it is two high for the PEM to sit correctly so i drilled a hole slightly lower so that the placement matches reference. This part was tricky because i had to get a 4-40 machine screw, cut it down to the proper length, and attach it from the inside by threading on the PEM.
-the clamp required a little surgery as a notch had to be cut to accept the brass nut riveted to the side. I used my dremel the finished it carefully with files.
The "oil pan" will be epoxied onto the clamp then it will be painted with the same tamyia semi-gloss black as the lambo wheel. the grips were cast in the correct shore black rubber and only need to be fixed with double stick tape as on the original.
I have to say that the design of this saber is fantastic and all of the details from the found objects really echo the spirit and low tech simplicity of the original OT sabers. Its a small but really impressive thing to handle in person. More to come soon, i hope, as i finish it up and complete this journey.