Yet Another Boba Fett Pepakura (PIC HEAVY)

Sylendis

Hello All,
My name is Rob and I'm new to prop building/costume making hobby. I have been watching this site for some time and after much deliberation I have decided on Boba Fett pepakura as my first project. If things go well, I will try and build the entire costume. I am taking this one step at a time and hopefully it won't be as hard as I suspect it to be.

First, let me say thank you to Fierfek for the pep file. I found it to be very straight forward and easy to follow. For a first time build, I don't think I could have chosen a better file. Second, thank you to Rosskow for his detailed thread of his build. It really gave me the courage to attempt Boba Fett. He really made this look easy and I appreciate the extra time that he took to document his progress. Lastly, thanks to terra1 for his stormtrooper thread. His was the first thread that I read and it really put me on this path.

Also thanks to the community at the Dented Helmet that gave me the comfort that if I can make it past the helmet there is a wealth of information to progress into the costume.

I'm really posting this thread as motivation and help from the community. You guys seem to be awesome QC and this noob can use all the help he can get.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of free time for this build so it may be a slow one. I really need a hobby and the geek in me really wants a costume for conventions and such. So here we go.....

DAY 1
IMG_1670.JPG
Moving along at nice pace.

IMG_1671.JPG

DAY 2
IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

DAY 3
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG

I still have a few details to add, but I'm really happy with the way the helmet has come out. When I first started building it, I nearly stopped and enlarged the file as I thought it was going to be too small. I am SOOOO glad I didn't as this dude is huge. I'm thinking of skipping the ears and just filling them with blank cardstock now. It seems everyone ends up cutting them out later anyway.

I ordered the fiberglass materials today and hopefully I can get everything wrapped up and move to coating it by Monday.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look. All advice and comments are appreciated.

dude i think that looks great from what ive seen i haven't personally made any boba fett helmets yet but im curious to see how this turns out

dude i think that looks great from what ive seen i haven't personally made any boba fett helmets yet but im curious to see how this turns out

Thanks so much! It was really a lot of fun and I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out as well.

I got my supplies in for the fiberglass step. I still need to swing into a hardware store and get a brush and something to clean it with (mineral spirits?) Anyway, I love the UPS fairy!:D

IMG_1680.JPG

Thanks so much! It was really a lot of fun and I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out as well.

I got my supplies in for the fiberglass step. I still need to swing into a hardware store and get a brush and something to clean it with (mineral spirits?) Anyway, I love the UPS fairy!:D

View attachment 319554

im excited for you. lol. oh and welcome to the rpf!

Nice work so far, keep it up. Also, Acetone works wonders when cleaning up resin off of work surfaces, clothing, and tools.

Looking good so far. A boba fett helmet was the first thing i ever pep'd as well. Its a good one for the sanding stage, not too many nooks and crannies,

Thanks Doc, I appreciate it. Even though most of the helmet was straightforward, the ears really slowed me down. I truly underestimated how much work I had left and wasn't able to move to the fiberglass phase today. It will have to wait until the weekend unless I can sneak a little time during the week. Since I wasn't able to get to fiberglass, I went ahead and did the whole thing, range finder and all. I'm super happy about how it looks.

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

I know the range finder and ears will have to be built out in a different method, but I was having fun and wanted to see it completely finished.

So I finally gave up on the Colorado weather and just moved this to the garage. Here are a couple of shots of the first coat of resin. I was going to do the dome first and coat the rest on a second pass, but I mixed up too much resin and decided to do it all in one shot. Luckily there wasn't any warping. FYI, 3 ounces of resin goes a long way.
IMG_1690.JPGIMG_1689.JPG

fiberglass mat dosent like going around sharp corners, so for the first time ild recommend brushing the inside with either a rondo (resin mixed with bondo /car body filler) or a fiberglass paste like isopon E40 just to fill the sparp corners where its a paper 90 degree corner, its a pain when you start to sand and break through to a unglassed area mate

fiberglass mat dosent like going around sharp corners, so for the first time ild recommend brushing the inside with either a rondo (resin mixed with bondo /car body filler) or a fiberglass paste like isopon E40 just to fill the sparp corners where its a paper 90 degree corner, its a pain when you start to sand and break through to a unglassed area mate

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Alright, here is a quick update for this weekends progress. I got a second 2 ounce coat of resin on the outside of the bucket as well as a good 6 ounce coat of rondo on the inside.

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

It is really very hard. The next chance I get to work on it will probably be Tuesday so it will get a few days to completely cure before I move to fiberglass the inside. The collar got pretty battered during rondo so I may cut it off before preceding to fiber.

A few lessons learned from the resin process. 10 drops of hardener per ounce of resin is sufficient for about 8-10 minutes of working time at about 60-70 degrees temperature. I way under did the hardener on the first coat of resin and it was still a bit tacky after 30 hours of cure time. I mixed up a batch with a bit more hardener than necessary for the second coat and this got the helmet fully cured.

I mixed up about 4 oz of bondo and 2 ounces of resin for the rondo. I poured 2 ounces into a separate container as I was afraid of working time. I mixed 20 drops of liquid hardener and I got about 8 minutes of working time. For the remaining 4 ounces I put 35 drops of hardener in and got just about 10 minutes before the rondo started turning to jelly. I should have stopped as soon as I saw that it had started to gel. I didn't and you can see the nuggets of rondo in the second picture. Oh well, I can probably sand them out if I'm really bugged by them.

Thanks for looking,
Rob

I was able to get through the first Bondo application. I'm pretty happy with it overall. Going to go see Godzilla tonight, so the second application will have to wait till morning.

IMG_1702.JPGIMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1709.JPGIMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPGIMG_1712.JPG

Anyway, all comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for taking a look,
Rob

Hey Rob!

Wow, lemme tell ya, I literally am in the same boat as I read in your post--just decided to start Fierfek's Boba to start my journey into pep and props as well. You seem to have a great start; definitely great inspiration to push me forward! I know I'll be following this one closely!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back