Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    UK
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 28, 2014, 2:22 PM - Working on some more props: 23 Oct - Luke ESB severed hand saber #1

Walrusman blaster (or Ponda Baba as he became known as later!) received a new more accurate grip (thanks Markus!) and more accurate scope ring.

Old grip:

Finally finished my Jabba guards' blaster.

And worked on my Greedo blaster. All greeblies are original parts.

And upgraded several parts on my Blader Runner blaster, wired up the electronics, and stamped the serial number on the frame.

Last edited by kurtyboy; 15 Hours Ago at 12:41 PM.
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 28, 2014, 2:24 PM - Re: Been working on some (mostly) Star Wars blasters #2

NIIIIICE

how did you get your hands on the correct tonearm connectors???

Markus
    From
    A bass boat on Endor
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 29, 2014, 10:09 PM - Re: Been working on some (mostly) Star Wars blasters #3

Awesome! I love the Jabba guard's blaster.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 30, 2014, 5:54 AM - Re: Been working on some (mostly) Star Wars blasters #4

What he said! That Jabba's Palace is a beaut! I mean, they all are, but I have a major soft spot for the JPB.
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 30, 2014, 6:02 AM - Re: Been working on some (mostly) Star Wars blasters #5

cayman shen said: View Post
    What he said! That Jabba's Palace is a beaut! I mean, they all are, but I have a major soft spot for the JPB.
    Want one? PM me

Markus
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 30, 2014, 6:09 AM - Re: Been working on some (mostly) Star Wars blasters #6

Those are some fine looking blasters.
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Oct 15, 2014, 1:56 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #7

Upgraded some some of my old lightsabers recently.

Luke ESB Bespin got upgraded with Gino t-track, the rest of the parts are real.

Luke Holiday Special had keychain and some details added plus grips upgraded from Blast-Tech to Marv's. It's possible the grips on the original prop weren't even t-track.

Vader ESB hero got upgraded with Gino t-track, the rest of the parts are real. I don't have the heart to remove the MPP name plate!

Vader ESB/RotJ stunt received a major overhaul:

Blast-Tech t-track replaced with Gino's
    Holes drilled in Graflex bottom
    Brass disc added to base (need to paint it silver)
    Ball latch replaced with one that doesn't have a logo stamped on it
    Resin control box replaced with machined aluminium Obi1Kenny part
    Cylinders in control box replaced with countersunk slotted screws with black stickers over the heads
    Parks D-ring bracket replaced with real one
    Furniture hex screw in glass eye port replaced with tire valve
    White PVC tube added inside to hold both halves together (this is visible in the rectangular opening and under the tire valve on the original prop)

Threads visible in control box

PVC pipe visible in rectanular opening

The PVC pipe is what causes the tire valve to be off center
    Last edited by kurtyboy; 1 Week Ago at 2:06 PM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 8:27 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #8

So do you mean to tell us that you could drill tiny holes in the MPP endcap and chromed body, get rid of the actual MPP lever, cut one Exactra 20 bubble off ... yet you can not find it in your heart to remove the MPP brand logo, which sticks out like a sore thumb now after all those revisions?

- Note to self ... if Master Kurtyboy, a well known selftaught authority of screen-accurate star wars props, can leave his MPP logo on, then by Jolly Jove ... so can I -

Nice upgrades ... by the way where's Luke's ROTJ MoM version? And as I suggested in other threads perhaps the x screws of Exactra calculators or some black x screws from VHS tapes would serve even better and more accurate for the size used in Luke's ESB grips?

Chaim
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 10:09 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #9

Luke RotJ overload!

Control box was much improved for me by Sym-Cha.

Real cone knob sticking out there!
  10. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 11:12 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #10

A couple of questions on your Vader Stunt..

You're tire valve looks good... what type did you end up using for it (looking for one myself). Also, how did you end up securing it in there? Was the PVC already the right diameter, or did yo uhave to cut it smaller?

And if by chance you had a shroud you swapped out on your Vader ROTJ, and are no longer using it, I would be happy to take it off your hands!

Nice Holiday saber btw... I like what you did with the control box!
  11. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 12:18 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #11

I got my tire valve from Steve Day who first came up with the theory http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...ull=1#post6935

I wish I knew what kind of valve it is so I could get more but even Steve doesn't know.

My tire valve is just secured by the PVC pipe pressing against it, which is what you can see on the original. Notice they also cut a flat side into the valve to hold it better (I didn't do this on mine because my first attempt was a disaster!)

12. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 12:36 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #12

I only had two Exactra screws but I found a few that were pretty close in size.

And here's WIP that should give you a big clue as to which saber I'm doing next!
  13. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 1:16 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #13

I guess I haven't looked too extensively into the different ESB variations. I'm worried if I do, that I'll need one of each.

I'm assuming by the hand, that your next saber is an ESB one, and not one of the two that you have already shown above.

Since the image above the hand is the one at the ranch, and the one near the top of the page is Bespin, I don't have a guess.... heh.
    From
    United Kingdom
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 1:41 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #14

kurtyboy said: View Post
    I got my tire valve from Steve Day who first came up with the theory http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...ull=1#post6935

I wish I knew what kind of valve it is so I could get more but even Steve doesn't know.

My tire valve is just secured by the PVC pipe pressing against it, which is what you can see on the original. Notice they also cut a flat side into the valve to hold it better (I didn't do this on mine because my first attempt was a disaster!)

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps2/tube1a.jpg
    Is that the same as a valve on a bicycle?
  15. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 2:10 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #15

I think they're from a car or truck.
  16. How YOU do'in? RPF Premium Member Mara Jade's Father's Avatar
    From
    NAS Jacksonville
    1 Week Ago  Oct 16, 2014, 5:21 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #16

Any chance you are in work to get the correct tunnel scope made for your DL-18? My air gun came with the same version you have too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	390474

Marcus was able to hook me up with a casting but I sort of mangled it up fitting it with the other parts. I was able to salvage it but I would like ultimately to replace it.

I thought if you or someone else machines or prints an accurate model, I too would be interested in getting a replacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	390478  
  17. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    5 Days Ago  Oct 18, 2014, 6:41 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #17

Sorry, I can't help you with this part
    From
    Vilshofen - Germany
    5 Days Ago  Oct 18, 2014, 8:30 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #18

Stunning collection!
    I personally love the look of the Ponda Baba Blaster and especially your and Markus version.
    The Greedo Blaster is also a top notch here. So impressive and rare parts, too. Amazing.
    Your MPP..I would love to have one. Good catch on yours.
    4 Days Ago  Oct 19, 2014, 5:16 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #19

Great stuff, I never thought I'd want a holiday special lightsaber but that is very nice!
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    4 Days Ago  Oct 19, 2014, 6:38 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #20

The attention to detail on the Vader ROTJ is amazing! Either there have been a few discoveries since the last one I built, or I just didn't do my homework, because I had no idea about the stickers/screws on the box, the tire valve (I had a OB1Kenny machined part) or the PVC. I love it!
  21. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    4 Days Ago  Oct 19, 2014, 11:46 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #21

Beautiful collection Markus. Im not a huge blaster fan but the range is amazing and the sabers are incredible. Really makes me think I want to make and build a vader someday if I can ever get an MPP.
  22. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    4 Days Ago  Oct 19, 2014, 1:00 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades #22

Thanks guys. I have a few more blasters and even more not pictured that are currently in progress or being upgraded.

Also have a few more sabers plus another three I'm working on. I used to have all the prequel sabers but sold them along with most of my prequel props.
  23. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Day Ago  Oct 22, 2014, 8:21 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #23

Seeing NeoRutty's fine work on his Holiday Special saber I decided to improve mine. So I cut out new shroud parts from sheet aluminium. To get them curved to the shape of a Graflex I wrapped masking tape around the tube to protect it, placed the aluminium piece on the tube and pressed it on, then put masking tape over it to hold it in place and tapped one side with a hammer while firmly holding down the other side.

Also started working on a new control box. I'm going for quite a wide plain box because that's just what I see. I will add rails later.

And another lightsaber in the works. The severed hand I showed earlier will give you a clue!
    From
    Italy, Treviso
    1 Day Ago  Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #24

Impressive...most impressive: what a great collection!
    Thanks for sharing
  25. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    1 Day Ago  Oct 22, 2014, 8:35 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #25

Markus