Snowtrooper Commander Costume (de)Construction

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
All this talk about snowtroopers has got me itchin' to tackle this costume. It looks to be fairly hassle-free, there are just some details to contend with. Again, if anybody has higher resolution pics, please share! I got these from http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/snowtrooper/snowt_refpicts.html
and if you are here and want me to take them down, please let me know.

So let's study this guy. I've tinked around with the contrast and whatnot to try and give a clearer picture of the suit. I've also circled things that I have noticed.

commander1z.jpg

First off, the boots. Almost 100% sure these are the same as the AT-AT pilot boots. Maybe even the exact same pair we have seen in other pictures of the AT-AT pilot.

commander2z.jpg

1. The forearm armor parts are TK forearms. Here you can see the squarish indents in the side.

commander3z.jpg

1. The same small dimple you see on the snowtrooper helmets. As MonCal said, could be a brass binding post.
2. Two red and two blue LED caps?
3. Appears to be same chest, ab, and cod armor as snowtrooper with slightly different details.
4. Again the TK forearms. Here you can see the strips.
5. Commander carries a gun in a white holster. Any idea which gun?
6. Overlap of duster which is pristine, not weathered like ordinary snowtroopers. I'm also guessing he's sporting a nylon belt?

commander4z.jpg

1. Probably the same, ribbed shoulder connectors with screw or post connecting it to the armor.
2. Same snowtrooper shoulder bells that appear to be sewn to the duster. These look awfully 'flat' to me for some reason.
3. Is this the same TK thermal detonator?

The gloves could be the same that were worn by the AT-AT pilots you see on-screen. I have these which could be a good match once the handguards are in place.
b2_largez.jpg

I took a quick pic of what I have. Looks like the gauntlet needs to be cut down some.
commander5z.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure that you'll do a great job of it!

That blaster almost looks like a Solo type Mauser from above with the way that the scope appears to be mounted on the side of it. Although it kinda looks like a bolt action lever sticking out of the back of it....
Also appears to be sharing many TK parts as you had stated.

Last edited:
The shoulder bells are upside down compared to a regular Snowtrooper. That could account for the flatness.

I've seen where others have pointed out that the moon boots are on the wrong feet. From the front it looks like they might be. From the back it doesn't look that way.

I never noticed the TK forearms before. Well spotted.

How many accurate SW costumes does it take to get to the center of a divorce Mr. Owl?

If Clutch keeps goin... The world may find out! :lol

JK.

Cant wait to see this thing realised!

Always loved the look of the commander and wished the others woulda/coulda had that cowl! Id say you cant get too much head movement when runnin and gunnin though.

I knew about the upside down shoulders and different boots etc. but never knew about the TK forearms. I could tell that they were different, but didnt know that until just now. NEAT!

The red and blue buttons on the chest armor... they look awfully similar to officer ranks.

I knew about the TK pieces on the commander and the upside down shoulder bells... but can't for the life of me, remember where I read that... there was a whole list showing the differences between the regular trooper and the commander... I'll have to put my brain into gear to find that again.

Maybe RocKo can come up with some good caps. I knew about the ear greeblies, but they aren't in these pics. I also agree about the rank thingies. There is a silver backing to them or something. I don't know what the originals were made of.

Here's some caps some of the rebels appear to have the same gloves,looks like the inside of the commanders helmet was unpainted.

click for full size

Great caps ;)...

Look what I have found... what do you think ?? after a lot of months of researches, these are the most accurate I have found...

Hoth_gloves.jpg

gloves.jpg

What do you think ??? (I see them perfect for the Snowtropper Commander and also for Xwing pilots in Hoth, Han and Luke in Hoth... etc)

Last edited:
Great caps ;)...

Look what I have found... what do you think ?? after a lot of months of researches, these are the most accurate I have found...

www.jotnar.com/BEN/PICS/Hoth_gloves.jpg

What do you think ??? (I see them perfect for the Snowtropper Commander and also for Xwing pilots in Hoth, Han and Luke in Hoth... etc)

Those look a lot like mine. Are they pretty thin leather with a suede gauntlet? I got mine from a fellow RPF'r. Please tell us what they are! :love

Ok, I dont have them yet... I'll making an order one of these days (I'll get a few of them... not many cause they are not cheap at all :( )... and as soon as I get them I will show you more pics (and better pics). ;)

To me they looks almost spot on ;) .

They look a lot like TIG welding gloves to me. Smooth glove with a short, gray gauntlet:
10-2036_big.jpg

Some people have said this is also what the AT-AT pilots had, but their entire glove was the suede material, not just the gauntlet. I believe these are just a different type:
AT-AT5.jpg

Maybe RocKo can come up with some good caps. I knew about the ear greeblies, but they aren't in these pics. I also agree about the rank thingies. There is a silver backing to them or something. I don't know what the originals were made of.

will do.... :angel

Well, but you can clearly see that the atat driver gloves are different from the.. for example.. other guys of HOTH, like the rebels, luke, han... and I think it's different of the SnowT. commander... (that is just what I think)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back