Two words, Lookin good.
Two words, Lookin good.
Nice work so far. Makes me want to build again.
The JB Weld and Polisher got here... Testing out the weld on four top pie panels now. Will see how well it worked tomorrow morning.
Not sure if I should clean it first before waxing. It was AWFUL dirty on the first pass of polish..does this look right? The top four panels are now held in by JB weld....
Half an hour later...
The full dome done...not sure if it looks better or worse with the polish
It took a bit of searching (god I suck at searches), but I found a way to make the dome topper, and after a trip to sears hardware, boomshakalaka. This time tomorrow, all the top dome panels will be in place thanks to JB weld. If I can get the dome topper nut painted, they'll be in place tomorrow.
Then really the only thing left would be the radar eye. and gluing in the other panels... the head isn't PERFECT the way it is, but for a first try, I don't think it turned out all that bad. If I do a second for a display piece, maybe with red panels, it'll be much nicer looking
Well, the plastic insert fits now, but I think I cut a tad too much away to make it fit ;o)... maybe the paper from my drawing book would work as a good substitute,.
this is looking great makes me want to build one
Really nice work Neil!
This thread makes me miss the parts I had to let go. Great progress and thanks for sharing
this is very cool..i wat to do this but make it so R2 is a new tower for my desk top computer. where did you get the dome?
It's going to need a bit of cleaning up. Hope excess JB weld picks up easy. These are now permanently on.
The next three, hopefully straight. Sadly, the tape marks are evident on the paint. not sure if there is an easy fix for that. I'm assuming grips would have fared no better.
The Dome Topper....Now I can hot glue it in from the bottom. Come on Radar eye ;o)... Next week all the panels will be done ...HOPEFULLY sometime soon my Com8B frame will be here as well!
Four panels left.. Gonna need some clean up
Dome Topper in place. Not bad for a first try
BAttery pack hot glued in.. it fell off with the stickers
Well, I guess some went on better and flatter than others, but with a bit of cleanup, it won't look that bad for a first try. Only three more panels left, then come on radar eye
BTW, what IS an easy way to clean off excess JB Weld?
Today, I HOPE to get the last three panels re-painted so they actually try to resemble good work. Right now, the paint is drying cracked and is leaving lines all around everything. Not sure how to fix that, but once I do, I'll get the last three panels done and Welded. The Weld is also a pain in the but. It leaks from the tube like crazy, and is super hard to squeeze out at the same time, so you have to be careful not to get any on the paint, and make sure that it doesn't get on the dome..... looks like I'll be chipping away some excess later.
Also for today, trip to home depot to find some material to remake the front PSI diffuser.
Tommorow, my new piece of acrylic arrives, so hopefully I can get the front PSI panel glued in and done if that looks right. Once I get the remaining two panels to look good in paint, They will be secured with glue. Only thing left is to secure the radar eye, which I hope will go on sale soon.... and await the arrival of my frame.
For those who've worked on the body, is the frame less involved than the head? I'm also curious how much the internal electronics will run me. The Pit Man motor, the gear to turn the head, and the RC equipment.
A new acrylic sheet, an hour later with the dremel, an almost perfect circle cut.....
Just wondering what i should do to coat it now..
Hmm, maybe I'll call it 'battle damage' on R2 instead ...
Today, I welded on the last of the panels. Finally less clutter with other parts coming in . I removed the front LED light so I can put in the proper chip when my new kit gets here. With the replacment chip, it doesn't always turn on when the switch does, but the others work perfectly.
Hopefully next week, my new light kit will arrive for the eventual head #2 in the near future. we'll replace the chip, re-glue in the PVC pipe for the light, and once the radar eye gets here, the head will be done!
Just got an update on the body, looks like that might start shipping in the begining of may.
This looks Great! I saw a Fiberglass R2 unit at a hooby store and I rather go with the metal dome! Keep up the Great Job!
So were you on a star cruiser, or some kind of--
Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope...
that works too
Found out I might be able to score a deep pocket vent set in a couple of weeks, also a pair of utility arms. If this happens, all I will need is the Coin Return and the body will be complete.
IF I'm real lucky I may even get a pair of legs as well.. From now on, no matter the cost, I will never miss out on another run again
All panels now glued on. As you can tell, the holes from the front PSI's are still viewable. I tried to position it to cover up as much as possible. When I get the second head, a hole saw from the start it is to do it right. I took off the front PSI to put in the proper chip when my new light kit gets here. sometimes it starts OK, sometimes it doesn't... I'll also be taking out the rear PSI and replacing three dead LED's with it.
Some panels glued on better than others. This one's paint job is also the worst of the lot. no amount of sanding or grinding could get it to look good. When I got it to this level I finally said, 'Enough is enough, it's good enough!'
Hopefully the new light kit will get here this week, we'll get those on. Then just the radar eye is needed