Question for anyone who has sewn a Jedi Robe

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
About 10 years ago I bought some very nice heavy weight wool for a Jedi Robe. It came out of a Fabric house in Chicago and I had to buy quite a bit due to minimum sales requirement.

At the time I was dating a awesome seamstress and she sewed a fantastic Jedi robe out of it.

She said there was just enough left that if you were careful with your cuts and didn't make any mistakes you could get another robe out of what's left of the wool.

I'm finally ready to do something with the material, my question for anyone who has sewn a robe before is: how many yards of fabric does it take to sew a proper Jedi robe (with the big open sleeves and oversized hood).

I've not ever sewn a Jedi robe, but I've done a lot of sewing........
For a size medium I'd say you'd need at least 6 yards of 60" wide fabric, which odds are the wool you have probably is that wide. If it is 44-45" goods, then you'd need more yardage. An experienced seamstress could undoubtedly squeeze one out of a little less.

As far as commercial patterns go, I think that the old Simplicity 4450 was at some point declared the best Jedi robe, whether that still stands true, I don't know.

Here are pics of it and the back of the envelope that give fabric requirements.
Might give you some better idea of whether you have enough fabric or not as you know what size the fabric you have is and what size the person the robe would be for is and where you might want it modified for closer SA.........

Jedi%20robe%20pattern%202.jpg

Jedi%20robe%20pattern%201.jpg

Shylaah

Well I may not have enough. My wool is 56 inches wide and about 107 inches long (about 41 square feet). There is also another piece that is 40 inches by 40 inches (about 11 square feet).

I wasn't able to find the specific Simplicity pattern number. I tried to follow the link to the tutorial and it said it doesn't exist. The costume in the photo looks wonderful, it will be helpful.

That's a good tutorial. I had nice results from it. Didn't go for the wool though. Figured it was wiser to practice with some nice inexpensive flannel(2.99/yd).
Still looks good.

Are you going for a prequel styled Jedi Robe, or a Ben Kenobi Ep. IV robe? I ask because the prequels styled robes have no top shoulder seam, and the Ben Kenobi robe does. In fact, depending on the style you want, the Old Ben version might be easier to pull off as it has more seams, meaning you don't need as much fabric. The prequel style robes need larger pieces of uncut material to be screen accurate which can be tricky if you only have so much fabric to work with.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back