Vintage Graflex Conversion to ANH Lightsaber/Crystal Chamber/Display stand

Re: Prop Newbie Vintage Graflex Conversion to ANH Lightsaber/Crystal Chamber (Pic hea

You flatter me.:$

Thanks to all.

I will think about buildung a lot of them. I would have to make some improvements then. To cut and sand the acrylic glass takes a lot of time. This crystal chamber took 6 weeks. The brass pins I have left would last for one chamber maybe and I don't know if I could find more of them.:wacko

So far, next step for me is to finish the saber and to create a stand for it.
We will see if there is time for some business in building crystal chambers afterwards.

I will post more pics of the conversion progress.

Re: Prop Newbie Vintage Graflex Conversion to ANH Lightsaber/Crystal Chamber (Pic hea

:thumbsup that looks awesome, love the final results. Can`t wait to obtain a graflex and begin a real parts Skywalker saber, Luke/Anakin :)

Thanks.

Update: Next step finished.

I sanded the bubble-strip down and sanded and sanded and now finaly it fits into the clamp.

BILD4705.JPGBILD4706.JPGBILD4707.JPG

It fits just under the edges so it doesn't slip out.

Next days I will start with the T-tracks. I think I will glue them with J-B Weld. What do you think? Will this glue work with the Graflex and the T-tracks I got from Marv?

Your oppinion is very apreciated.

nice job on those bubbles ... yeah I figured they would stick underneath like that ... I have no experience with JB-Weld ... though I just read that ILM employed Lorne Peterson fulltime because he brought along with him Eastman 9-10 also known as a superglue ... sofar I have had no issues with my Industrial Superglue and T-track or other props related stuff for gluing on ... however the stuff dries rather quick so adjusting can be a pain if you don't stick it to the correct position ... so a two-part epoxy glue might be wiser since it has a longer curing time.

Chaim

Welcome and well done! :D

Karl

Thanks for the kind words.

I think I will go with J-B Weld and will tell about the results.

I nearly forgot: First I have to attach the D-ring clip. Only to make sure there is not too much force on the T-tracks when I do it the other way around.

Will post pics tonight.

I used a super glue gel on my Graflex one dab at each end of the track and it holds lovely.

Thanks for the tips.

Got the clip in place and like it.

BILD4709.JPGBILD4710.JPGBILD4711.JPG

Than I marked the places were the T-tracks should be attached with an Edding marker, wrapped some sand-paper around the graflex and sanded the tracks on it, so I could see were I had to put the glue. After that I mixed the J-B Weld and startet glueing.

Now it is waiting to harden. J-B Weld could be used 25 minutes after mixing and I was able to rearrange the tracks on the handle.

Here's the result.

BILD4717.JPGBILD4720.JPGBILD4718.JPGBILD4719.JPG

Will post some pics of the finished saber tomorrow evening.

Can't believe that I'm almost there.

Fantastic ... job well done ... I can't believe you've even finished before I have :)

Chaim

Ha,ha,ha it's okay ... it all depends from a certain point of view .. I'm very happy to be part of your built ;)

Chaim

Here are the promised pics.

BILD4721.JPGBILD4732.JPGBILD4731.JPG

There you can see my "ANH Luke Utility-Belt" I am working on. It's not the right cartridge pouch yet but I know where to get it ;)
The "Droid-Caller" is a resin replica.

BILD4740.JPGBILD4743.JPGBILD4744.JPGBILD4747.JPGBILD4751.JPGBILD4748.JPGBILD4750.JPGBILD4749.JPG

Next I will order some laser-cutted acrylic bladeholder which I will glue to the mirrorplate you can see on the pics.

I'm very pleased with the result.

Comments are very appreciated. Maybe you have some tips/hints regarding the bladeholder.

Re: Vintage Graflex Conversion to ANH Lightsaber/Crystal Chamber (Pic heavy)

Nice ... and I love the rest of your Luke's parts ... especially that droidcaller being completed!

Chaim

That is a thing of beauty :love.

I meant to ask you, what is the outside diameter of the brass tubing you used?

That is a thing of beauty :love.

I meant to ask you, what is the outside diameter of the brass tubing you used?

Thanks. I assume you mean the small brass tubes I used for the chamber?
The small ones are about 6mm and the bigger ones about 8mm.

I made a photo for you.

20140226_083015.jpg

Hope it is of some help.

Awesome, simply awesome!
Congrats, it's a fantastic lightsaber:cheers

Just found this thread...WELL DONE young one!!!

Looking forward to your future builds :thumbsup

Markus

Hey guys,

thanks for your kind comments.

I've finished my display stand and wanted to share some pics of it. I decided to have the fun in designing the stand by myself and didn't order some laser cutted saberholder.

First I sketched the outline on some clear 5 mm acrylic glass.
BILD4753.JPGBILD4754.JPG

I cuted the acrylic glass with an metall saw, sanded the outlines and polished the cutting edges.
BILD4757.JPGBILD4758.JPGBILD4756.JPGBILD4755.JPG

I tested the fitting of the saberholder on a mirror glass plate...
BILD4760.JPGBILD4761.JPG

Everything fits but I decided to set the saberholder to the edges of my mirror plate. When I placed the opend saber on the display stand to show the crystal chamber the hilt bends down on either side of the holders.

This is what it turned out when I finished the job today.
BILD4766.JPGBILD4767.JPG

Last but not least two pics to show how the holders fit to the saberhilt.
BILD4769.JPGBILD4768.JPG

I feel a little bit sad now that this project is finished.

I think it won't take long before I get another project. Maybe an ESB Luke Lightsaber? We'll see :rolleyes

wow ... indeed ... that's a nice display ... great job ... well done!

Next should be Obi-Wan's lightsaber or Vader's from ANH ;)

Chaim

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back