Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Apr 17, 2013, 7:49 AM - pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #1

I have just started planning and collecting pieces to make the Death Star Detention block Security Camera and need some good pics and info on it. So far I have got three of the correct slide viewers and a pair of the correct light lenses. There looks to be four lights mounted on the viewers so I will have to mold the ones I have as these are so hard to find. I guess the original cameras were never sold as they were destroyed in the movie but are there any other pics of them other than screen caps.

Last edited by andy19422; Apr 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Apr 17, 2013, 7:51 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #2

Where the heck did you find those panel lights!!!!!?????
  3. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Apr 17, 2013, 8:07 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #3

These ones?

I spent a couple of weeks trying to track them down with no luck, I even joined an Electricians forum still no joy. Then I found a company that had an old Wild Barfield Furnace for sale. I offered them 25 for the lenses which they accepted, they arrived today still mounted in the panel box.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Apr 17, 2013, 8:59 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #4

Those are the same panel lights used throughout the Millennium Falcon and on misc Death Star panels. Did the company know if these were still available?
  5. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Apr 17, 2013, 9:49 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #5

The company I got the lights from don't have spares, they were just going to put in modern lights. I spoke to the company that brought out Wild Barfield but they were no use at all The lights are 1 3/4 across and just over 1/2" high. I am thinking of casting these if anyone is interested.
  6. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Apr 17, 2013, 10:13 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #6

It looks like the light is made up from four pieces. A ring that fits inside the panel that takes the tabs that are folded over to keep the lens in place. The plastic lens then an Aluminium ring with tabs then the bezel is placed over the lens then crimped over the Aluminium ring to keep it in place. I will have to cut the crimp off to get it apart for molding.

From
    Huntsville, AL
    Apr 17, 2013, 10:14 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #7

Hi Andy,

Starkiller did a FANTASTIC 3D model of the light and we had several 3D printed for my 1:1 scale MF cockpit - they turned out great! But you actually have originals... How many molds would you be willing to make? Would you be willing to make clear colored molds as well? Maybe??????

3D prints

8. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Apr 17, 2013, 10:30 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #8

Definitely going to try to make different colored lenses, just need to figure out how to make the bezel.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Apr 17, 2013, 10:42 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #9

Thats wonderful! Please let me know if there is anything I can do!

You can create a mold with 3-4 holes that will allow you slip pieces of aluminum in place that can fold over and keep the bezel in place?
    From
    Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas
    Apr 17, 2013, 11:06 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #10

This is an awesome find!

It's also really good timing as I'm in the middle of doing machining drawings to make the lights.

I had it at 1.75" diameter and had the 8 steps inside the bezel.

I might put this on hold though.

From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Apr 17, 2013, 12:13 PM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #11

whoa, nice find! can't wait to see more.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Apr 17, 2013, 12:38 PM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #12

Andy,

You do realize you might be the ONLY one on the forum lucky enough to have found these panel lights!
  13. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Apr 17, 2013, 1:15 PM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #13

It was someone in the other thread about the camera that mentioned wild barfield, I was just lucky enough to buy some
    Apr 17, 2013, 2:00 PM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #14

Looks good to me

And they was going to bin them, blimey! Good catch Andy!!
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Apr 17, 2013, 2:47 PM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #15

:o great find! furnace lights...?
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Apr 17, 2013, 2:49 PM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #16

From
    Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas
    Apr 17, 2013, 5:36 PM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #17

Andy... can you email me? Philip@rebelscum.com. I'd like to offer to master those lenses so you don't have to mold them and deal with imperfections in the lenses affecting the quality.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Apr 18, 2013, 7:05 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #18

Andy... I'll be more than happy to help with material if you're seriously considering making molds! Just let me know...
  19. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Apr 18, 2013, 7:25 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #19

I'm going to email Philip and see what he has in mind.
    From
    Virginia
    Apr 18, 2013, 10:28 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #20

Great find! Very awesome to see the actual type of lights up close and disassembled.

Where did you find the all-blue slide viewers?? All I've seen around are the two toned ones.

Would you be willing to send one of those lights to someone here on the RPF to have them measured and accurately replicated?

Edit: Also, this is the clearest screencap I've seen around showing one of the detention cameras.

-Carson
    Last edited by deadbolt; Apr 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Aug 26, 2013, 7:09 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #21

Any updates on this project?
  22. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Aug 26, 2013, 8:33 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #22

As far as I know, Philip W. aka Rebelscum was planning to draw the lamps/ covers and make them available in the distant future.

I just proceeded without that part(s) and already cut my backplate to attach the slideviewers to.
    Seems that the prop dept. cut the "lips" off the rear housing of the tridents so that there are sitting flush against the mounting plate, what do you think?

Any idea if the metal greeblies between the tridents are found objects or machined parts? Measured these to be around 26mm O.D.

One more question reg. the color of the slide-viewers....the original ones have a two-tone plastic housing while the ones on the detention block camera are single-colored. Do you think they just painted the WHOLE assembly in that "tie-fighter" blue?

Markus
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Aug 26, 2013, 9:03 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #23

Hi M,

The prop team did ALOT of butchering during production. If the viewers lay flat on the backplate - I would assume they cut the backs off to lay flat. The metal grebblies do look like a off the shelf piece but I have NO Idea what it could be. They're definately the same piece... But again... that doesn't mean they weren't fabricated / bashed.

Since you're going to cut the backs off to lay flat, I would go ahead and paint the viewers to match. But they did leave the area around the lens white - so they may not have painted them... I'm sure I've been a HUGE help! LOL

I would just dive in and make it happen.
  24. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Aug 26, 2013, 10:02 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #24

Paterson did produce all blue versions, but I think they were just using up parts left over from another model. I have two of them, but even these are different shades of Blue. I think it would just be easier to paint them rather wait years to get six the same colour. I sent one of the lights to Phil to look at. When he sent it back he said he was working on it, I haven't heard anything since.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Aug 26, 2013, 10:30 AM - Re: pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed. #25

I say move forward and paint. I would love to handle one of those lights! I hope he's been able to come up with something.

That pic looks awesome!