So I have been working on this for more than a year now. It isn't that it takes that long for me to do stuff, I just get sidetracked so easily. I'm about 80% done I figure, considering that I have 100 hours of hand embroidery into this already. All that is left is to draft the pattern and put the whole thing together. I am hoping that by posting work-in-progress photos here, I'll be more interested in getting this done finally.
I have 12 yards of the burnout velvet, already dyed. I got it on ebay several years ago for about $30 for the whole lot, it was a miracle! I can't wait to make stuff with the scraps too. I'm pretty good at pattern layout to get the most out of my fabric, so I'm going to try and attempt an impossible task: get two costumes out of 12 yards. This will be accomplished by making pattern pieces that delete unseen velvet, mostly the skirt pieces under the large sleeves and the underside of the sleeves where it touches the skirt. I'm actually going to stitch the large sleeves to the skirt. This will allow me to save the velvet that is covered up, but also make the large sleeves lay over the skirt correctly. I'm not sure that any of this will work, but I'm going to try it with a muslin test.
When I was drafting the beading pattern for the medallion at the lower back, I scaled everything according to the length of 3 bugle beads, which gave me a 6.5" diameter medallion. So like an idiot, I went ahead and made a medallion that size. I then start taking photographs comparing the medallion to my height, and lo and behold, it is too big! Fear not, the first medallion will not go to waste, but I scaled the design down to 5" and it seems to be the correct size for my height. The hardest thing then was to find tiny bugle beads in the correct color. The medallion is almost done, just needs sequins in the center circle.
Anyway, that is where I am now!