Pepakura Stormtrooper torso files available

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
Well, since my first outing I’ve been very busy modifying Fierfek’s torso files, and he has kindly allowed me to release a modified version of the chest, back, kidney/butt and ab/cod pieces.

You can see the original version in this thread - http://www.therpf.com/f24/pep-fibreglass-sandtrooper-suit-first-outing-171276/

The files are sized to fit me – six foot, 95 kg (15 stone) – but the top of the ab and kidney sections can be cut down to suit a shorter person. The pdo files are sized for A4, but it’s a piece of cake to convert them to Letter with Pep Designer.

Chest 05 - Download - 4shared
Trooper_Backplate_01 - Download - 4shared
Ab and Butt Plates H570 W435 D355 - Download - 4shared

Since the first outing I’ve also flattened the pecs by just under an inch – some 20 mm or thereabouts. The suit in the photos is the original, and most of the modifications are to add more gradual curvatures to the kidney and butt plates, as well as slightly narrowing the cod piece. The ab section is plenty tall enough so that the chest plate doesn’t ride up and go behind the ab plate as it has done with the vac formed suit I wore previously.

So far I have assembled the peps for the cod, butt and kidneys, which are the main ones I have changed. I have tweaked the pep files as I assembled each piece, and they should not present any problems when assembling. I switched a lot of the tabs around to make the building smoother.

Once I’ve got the Mk2 torso completed, I’ll start making new shoulders, thighs and calves from scratch. Hopefully I’ll be able to release those files in a few months.

I know this suit isn’t totally screen accurate, but I’ve aimed for a more solid, imposing look than the traditional suit, which I gather was sized for 5’ 10” slim dudes, not for us bulkier guys. It certainly feels very secure when you wear it, like what I imagine a suit of armour would be like.

Huge thanks to Fierfek for allowing me to modify his files and to distribute them! :thumbsup

You are an angel, Phil! I love fierfek's designs, but I wanted something a little more detailed before I knocked out the stormie. Thanks, again!

Great modifications Blaxmyth. Nice sculpting and with a limited amount of polys. I look forward to seeing the rest of it!
Hats off to you (or in this case, buckets off)

Cheers, SpaceCowboy. Thanks for the compliment.

Been working on a set of shoulder bells from my own mesh. On to my third pep build to test it out. Looks OK. Will post pics in a day or two and put the file on 4shared. I've based the pep on OotaGoota's excellent sculpt, but have made it about 15 mm longer and slightly deeper on the basis that it can be trimmed to fit the user, and should look well proportioned for taller troopers.

Now that I've got a few troops under my belt, plus lost about three stone, I've reworked the chest and back pep files to suit my new building method.

The idea is that you build the peps with a flat 'apron' that you tape to a flat board or table top, then coat the outside of the pep with at least two thin coats of resin to stiffen it - three is best...

Next you turn the pep over and (gently) wax the inside of the card with a good quality Carnuba wax as a mould release. I've tried ordinary budget car wax and it isn't really good enough - too grainy and doesn't totally cover the surface. Proper mould release wax is awesomely superior.

Next step is to lay a coat of cloth inside the pep, onto the waxed surface, as close to the edges as you can. When it has cured enough to have good structural integrity, snip away any of the thin pepakura strips around the sides - the idea being that the next layer of cloth will be able to protrude over the edge, avoiding the gaps that always happen when you try to lay glass into a tight corner. Three coats should allow you to de-mould the card by simply slipping a spatula between the card and the resin.

I tried this yesterday and it worked a treat on a trooper chest plate. One thing I'd never tried before was to use kitchen scissors to trim the overhanging cloth while it was still green, but cured enough to hold its shape well. Saved so much sanding and trimming later.

Anyway - I spent a few hours today reworking the peps - originally Fierfek's meshes, by the way, and modified with his permission - to include a flat apron around both the back and chest pieces. Again, thanks to Fierfek for his fantastic work!

Chest & Back plates 3 of 4.pngChest & Back plates 4 of 4.pngChest & Back plates 2 of 4.pngChest & Back plates 1 of 4.png

The links are here, if you'd like to try them. They should easily fit most people. I'm just under six foot, about thirteen and a half stone and the chest plate I made yesterday fits fine.

Chest and back plates - flat surround - A4 - Apr 2014 - Download - 4shared - this is the A4 version

Chest and back plates - flat surround - Letter - Apr 2014 - Download - 4shared - letter version

Got to include this - just after the end of a six mile (10 k) fun run/walk for the school where I teach. I raised just over $300 dollars for our school camps, and I was pretty tired, but really pleased. The armour held up well, but the helmet fans certainly got a workout.

2014-04-13 15.01.34.png Cheers, Phil

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back