Finished: Obi Wan Lightsaber - Crystal Chamber (Weathering via chemistry)

Re: Obi Wan ANH Lightsaber Prop / Weathering via chemistry

I love seeing the techniques people use to weather their pieces, so thanks for sharing. I've mostly read about ways of changing the color and finish of a piece, but what I've seen less of is people actually inflicting physical damage to a piece, by way of dents and scratches. And the Kenobi ANH saber in particular is rife with some serious wear and tear. It seems logical to inflict these details before weathering so they don't reveal the clean metal beneath the altered metal. Does anyone have any good tips or techniques for banging the crap out of beautiful metal replica parts and not having it look like it was just dinged with a hammer? The base of the emitter above the wind vane is particularly chewed up on this saber. Short of feeding the part to my pet T-Rex I'm not sure how to approach this, especially given that I don't have multiple throwaway pieces to practice on before smashing into those prized parts that'll one day make up the centerpiece of my saber collection.

You are welcome.
I know what you mean. I dropped my windvane for one time and it got a nice "ding" - you can see it on the pictures above - but I'm not sure if I could do this once more.
The "ding" looks good so far.
Please share your results after weathering your parts with this T-Rex of yours. I may consider sending you some parts for weathering :lol

Just role it over you patio or even better out on the street and when a cop approaches ... just tell him you're into propmaking ... that should lead to some heavy eye-brow lifting :

Chaim

I like the work going on here so far! I weathered my Obi with a painted rust effect, all the dings were judiciously applied with a hammer....lol.

Rich OBIWAN 001.JPGobiwansaber 005.JPGobiwansaber 004.JPGobiwansaber 003.JPG

That looks great. Love the rusted look.

When I recieve my Romans grenade, I hope I have the balls to hammer the crap out of it.

I was thinking about burying it in the yard for a while, letting it rust naturally in the lovely BC wet weather, but I'm not sure how that will go... If I pull it out and it is nicely rusted, how do I not get rust falling off it all the time... how do I stop the rusting process (doesn't it just continue on?)

Not a scientist here, though I've played one at work.

I would have thought sealing the rusted surface with a matt varnish spray would do the job.

Rich

Hey guys,

I've made some progress the last days.

First I had to decide what mechanism would work on this saber to lock the parts together and would let you open the saber to access the crystal chamber.
I like the lock slothfurnace build some time ago where you can lock the grenade part with a lever to the clamp.
The lever was quickly build. The problem is that I have to slide the clamp away to access the crystal chamber. My crystal chamber is under the clamp other than the one slothfurnace build which was inside the grenade. His clamp is fixed to the booster so there is no problem with the "clamp-lever-lock".
So this wasn't working for me because of not realy fix clamp part.

After some days of brain racking...I had another idea.

I build a bayonet-lock. So this is it. I can lock the grenade to the chamber part, the clamp isn't fixed to anything, I can open the lock and can slide the clamp together with the grenade part away.

Some pictures, in hope you understand this weird description of mine.

First I had to cut away the thread from the hollow clamp spacer. Then drill some holes into the grenade part for the support rods.
36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg

The lock. You can lock the parts together via twisting the grenade part so the "stopper" on the rods won't get out of the smaller holesection.
45.jpg 44.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg

When everything is finished the revelation of the chamber should work like this:
41.jpg 42.jpg

I think it's something new, haven't found something like a bayonet-lock on lightsabers so far (you may correct me ;) )

Hope you like it.

Last edited:

Nice ... I like it ... and for another even more improved version it would be excellent to hide those 4 long screws ... that is if that additional Romans Empire chamber allows to be drilled inside those 4 corner bits :wacko

Chaim

Nice ... I like it ... and for another even more improved version it would be excellent to hide those 4 long screws ... that is if that additional Romans Empire chamber allows to be drilled inside those 4 corner bits :wacko

Chaim

Yeah it would be excellent, but they are to small. I used M2 threaded rods and they already are very thin.
If the rods would be inside those 4 corner bits the bayonet-lock wouldn't work either.

When the saber is in reveal-position the threaded rods are underneath the clamp and in the closed-position you can't see the threads because they are underneath the clamp ;)
So the rods don't look nice only in the momentary state of work but I know excactly what you mean :lol

Are the transistors going to be a problem? Seems they would get in the way of the spacer sliding out.

Are the transistors going to be a problem? Seems they would get in the way of the spacer sliding out.

At first they did get in the way.
The spacer has some notches on both side to let pass the fins on the inside of the clamp ( You can see the notches on the pics above).
So when the transistors were attached on the clamp I cut down the transistor threads. Now they are long enough to screw on the nuts.
After that I machined notches on the spacer a little bit wider and now the clamp slides along the spacer without any problems.

48.jpg 49.jpg 51.jpg

Last edited:

Hi,

was busy last week.

But I have some updates for you.

I tested the LEDs with the crystalchamber:

53.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg 57.jpg

Before finishing the electronics and assembling the saber I had to think very hard where I could install the switch.
I haven't enough room in the saber for using the transistors as switch .

After some days I got the idea to use a micro switch inside the the clamp bars. The rectangular bars which hold the clamp together.

Here is what I was able to do:

58.jpg 59.jpg 60.jpg

61.jpg 62.jpg

The switch is so small you won't recognize it on the first look and could be pressed with an fingernail.
Maybe I'll paint it with some aluminium-like color.

I think it's going into the end-phase.

Last edited:
Re: Obi Wan Lightsaber - Crystal Chamber (Weathering via chemistry)

Hmm ... I like it sofar :) ... just that you did not think of using the clamp lever to cover that switch and or use a micro push button instead ... so the lever could actually activate the crystal :confused ... anyhow looking forward to your first finished OB1 ANH lightsaber :)

Chaim

Hmm ... I like it sofar :) ... just that you did not think of using the clamp lever to cover that switch and or use a micro push button instead ... so the lever could actually activate the crystal :confused ... anyhow looking forward to your first finished OB1 ANH lightsaber :)

Chaim

Thank you.

It IS a micro push button and you are right under the lever would be nice.
Mmhh, you could have mentioned this earlier ;)

I have to live with it or will correct this if I get another clamp someday.

Perhaps you can get a spare sidebar from Romans if you'd ask him or fix the gap with some solder or welding and start again as I suggested?

Chaim

Perhaps you can get a spare sidebar from Romans if you'd ask him or fix the gap with some solder or welding and start again as I suggested?

Chaim

We'll see. Nevertheless thank you for all your ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

But now lets get back to business.

I've finished the wiring and assembled the saber today. I'm really happy how it turned out.
The bayonet-lock works great. One twist of the grenade in the right direction and the saber will open. But when closed a spring will provide the mechanism with enough pressure to stay closed.
But see for yourself...
63.jpg 64.jpg 65.jpg 66.jpg

67.jpg 68.jpg 69.jpg 71.jpg

70.jpg 72.jpg 73.jpg

So...what do you think?

Let me know ;)

Amazing Luke!
Impressive!
I love it: it's really a beauty, congrats for your skills(y)cheers
So now you have a Luke and a Obi Reveal!
Congratulations from Italy!!!

yeah indeed ... impressive ... will you go to jedi-con later this year to show these?

Chaim

Thank you enrico. There is so much fun in building the reveal part and nobody could say 'No, thats not screen accurate!' [emoji6]
yeah indeed ... impressive ... will you go to jedi-con later this year to show these?

Chaim
Yeah, I will go to the Jedi-Con in october. It's the first time...so I think I'll go only one day to take a look [emoji2]
Don't know if I'll take the saber along.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100G mit Tapatalk

So what would you use to weather a bronz/brass casting of a grenade? And I'm still undecided wether I should attend ... I just spend quite a lot on a real balance pipe and armitage handwheel, which according to parfaitelumiere has a metal endcap instead of plastic and is believed to be even an older version handwheel ... all that remains is a real grenade now :)

Chaim

So what would you use to weather a bronz/brass casting of a grenade? And I'm still undecided wether I should attend ... I just spend quite a lot on a real balance pipe and armitage handwheel, which according to parfaitelumiere has a metal endcap instead of plastic and is believed to be even an older version handwheel ... all that remains is a real grenade now :)

Chaim

Sorry, for being late on this one ;)

I used some sodium sulfide which I dissolved in sulfuric acid. After that I cleaned the brass parts with aceton, dryed them and plunged them into the solution. The parts were left there for 12 hours. Then you can take them out and clean them with some old towels or soft tissues.

Through this treatment the copper in the brass will become brown to black.
If you want to weather pure copper this prcedure will work too. I think there is no need for 12 hours then.
If the color belies your expectations you can repeat the procedure.

I took some pictures of the brass parts of my windvane. The outer ring of the windvane was treated as described but the inner fins have the original brass color.

Hope the pictures will do? Otherwise I could take some additional pictures with other lighting.

75.jpg 76.jpg

Somewhere on the internet I read about another more natural technique: You can put some soil into a box together with some ammonia and the brass parts. And after half a year everything should look quite nice.

I chose the sulfur-treatment because it's faster ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back