... just kidding ...
Actually it's a weekend update!
I scratch-weathered the shoulders, and formed/re-formed and shaped the vambraces. I painted them up for weathering but need to wait a couple days before I start scratching them (damn mid-Atlantic humidity). Note the bracers have an elliptical cross-section at the wrist. This, in conjunction with the planned neoprene wrist-seals will lock them in place radially. They will rotate as my wrist rotates. It will also lend the illusion of the stepped-down edge seen in the reference pix, as well as hold the sleeves and glove closures in place.
I'm moderately happy with the right shoulder bell. The left one I will eventually re-spritz with the darker tones and scratch again. They both came out a bit too mottled for my taste, but the right one is good enough for long shots.
See ya's next week.
Looks great man! I really don't think you need to re-do the left shoulder bell. IMHO, you dont want them too samey-samey. They look "related" and too much more could be overboard. But that's just one man's opinion. Great work man.
Beautiful work! I'm really looking forward to seeing the final product.
Looking great! Can't wait to see you start on the breastplate!
Last edited by Murphoid; Jun 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM. Reason: Misunderstanding
WOW, fantastic job so far!
...a little sump'n sump'n...
Loving this project! Keep up the awesome work!
Wow, It's looks amazing so far - can't wait to see the finished project!
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
I copied the "to do" list from page 2:
[COLOR="DimGray"]- finish chest plate sculpt
- seal/wall/mold chest plate[/COLOR]
- cast chest plate
- shape/smooth chest plate
- paint/weather chest plate
[COLOR="DimGray"]- make silicone/plaster shell mold for shoulders
- cast shoulders
- shape/smooth shoulders
- paint/weather shoulders[/COLOR]
- attach inner form padding to shoulders
[COLOR="DimGray"]- re-form bracers
- fill/shape/smooth bracers
- paint/weather bracers
- build/paint neoprene wrist seals[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DimGray"]- modify gloves
- build undertunic[/COLOR]
- build outer tunic
[COLOR="DimGray"]- build tabards/capes
- build armor harness[/COLOR]
- attach velcro to armor/harness/tunic/[COLOR="DimGray"]gloves
- design/fit bandoleer[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DimGray"]- shape/smooth bando buckle and belly-box[/COLOR]
- greeblify bando buckle and belly-box
- paint/weather buckle and box
Things are starting to disappear. They'll disappear faster now, I'm doing all the soft parts next.
Last edited by Koda Vonnor; Jul 23, 2008 at 8:51 PM.
Here's a weekend update:
I didn't do much 'cause I had family in from out of town, but here's all the stuff you won't see once the armor gets on there.
One thing though, these pants are 37" waist and were very tight when I started this project (Nov). I have dropped a bit of weight and these are just too baggy around the middle. I will now have to buy another pair in a 36" or 35" and doctor them up (removing the back pockets was a bich - had to pick at each needle hole to blend it in).
Also, these are not the Rahm Kota boots. I have yet to receive those.
Just have to tweak the edges a bit and smooth it all out, then lay on the left and right slabs. The belly box is just for reference, I'll take the mold without it and attach it after casting.
Bill!?!? I had no idea that was you! lol - This is Tony from Garrison Tyranus (short stormtrooper!)
Man, that is looking sharp! I am really impressed!
Yeah for some reason I knew "It's That Guy" was you. I thought you knew I was Koda_Vonnor (code of honor).
Yeah since you guys killed Katarn last December I had to find a tougher character to play.
I'll be showing this as a WIP at D*Con, and hopefully as a finished product at the Ukrops Parade.
Last edited by Koda Vonnor; Jul 11, 2008 at 11:11 AM.
Haha - yep - Total brain fart! Koda Vonnor looked fimilar, just thought it was an EU character.
Well, I look foward to seeing more of your progress - I am really excited to get to see it in person too - can't wait!
I laid on the left and right sides today. Rolled out little tiles of clay to 6mm thickness and cut them to shape, then sort of built a jigsaw puzzle and smoothed all the joints. The upper half was looking a bit bloated on the sides so I did some major reshaping. It's not perfect, but then my body ain't at all like that CG dude either.
Almost ready to take a mold. Couple more rounds of smoothing and microscopic inspection and it'll be good to go.
So instead of stressing over whether I'll be able to get this done before D*Con, and if Diaz will deliver my boots in time, I decided to play around with the face. Here is the first cut...
Still got some tweaking to do of course.
I am not typically an EU guy either, but man, this is amazing! Great look, great finishing, great craftsmanship, overall great work!
Thanks Bryan! I appreciate that very much.
I took a plaster mold of the BP today. Had to layer on the plaster, and as such I got some striation lines in the mold. I don't think they will cause much trouble though, I can sand them smooth after the casting.
The weather report looks good for laying the fiberglass next Saturday.
I also made the template for the bandoleer today, and drew up a bunch of sketches and notes for Mel Mattson, and adjusted the saber hilt to better represent the CG images.
Tomorrow I will heat-form the sintra saber holster and box everything up to send to Mel.
See ya's next week.
Weekend Update part two:
Here is the rough saber holster made from heat-formed sintra 3mm. It will attach to the bandoleer with two Chicago screws and have a leather strap going 'round the middle. I had to make it this morning to send to my leather crafter tomorrow so she can make the bando.
It's shown here laying on the bandoleer cut-out template.
Man I can't wait to see this done.