Han Solo ESB Holster Scratch Build - Finished Phew~ Pics

Cameron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,
After 2 months of wood working, leather working, metal working, research screenshots and much cursing I have finished my ESB Han Solo Holster set. I have so much respect for leather workers after finishing this thing. I made all buckles from 1/8 Aluminum plate and all leather from raw stock with the exception of a belt blank. Everything is scratch except the belt disc and the pants belt.

I learned wet forming and a host of other techniques from this build and even though it was allot of work I really enjoyed it. The belt looks a bit redder than it really is due to the flash but I think I captured the correct color. At least my color blind interpretation of it. This is my second attempt at leather working so be kind. My first effort was my Luke ANH Belt.
Thanks for looking!

View attachment 145276

View attachment 145281

View attachment 145283

View attachment 145280

View attachment 145282

View attachment 145284

View attachment 145278

View attachment 145277

View attachment 145279

View attachment 145286

View attachment 145289

View attachment 145288

View attachment 145285

That turned out great, you should be proud! And I will say, there is just something about leather working that is very satisfying and fulfilling :thumbsup

Looks great! I just finished a holster myself, for a Power 5, and I have to say that I don't envy you all the stitching. My fingers are still sore. What did you use to dye the leather?

Great work.

Now you have experience with leather, and even though it took so long to finish, you have the skill to do it now and the success to look back on, looks great.

That's fantastic work Cameron . . . get some belt greeblies, loose the middle whatever-you-call-it from the black belt and you're as good to go . . . SOLO!

-Chaim

Thanks for the kind words all.

Geo,
The color is a mix of Tandy Leather Canyon Tan and Timber Brown. I then lightly sand it down in spots and apply more brown and black to weather it. Once I'm happy with the color I use a sheen top coat. Once that dries I sand gouge and rough it up. I was going for a gently used look rather than the mistreated look that the real belt appears to be in now at the costume displays. I also didn't want that showroom new look that so many produced belts have.

Wow, Cameron... WOW!
Those are amazing results! :) :thumbsup

I envy you your craftsmanship and skills. I'm a newbie here who is looking to put together his first SW Outfit and I'm going with ESB Han Solo (Bespin Gear) ...I've got most of my options undeway but the Boots, the Blaster and the Holster/Belt (and all the gadgets) are left to be worked out.
I hope somewhere down the line I find an opportunity to buy a leather Holster & Belt from someone that looks even HALF as good as yours, because THAT looks amazing to me!

Also: I'm sure I won't be the last person to ask, but if you ever consider make a few of these to sell, PLEASE send me a note. I'd love to work out something with you.

Once again, GREAT results!

Mitch,
Thanks for the very nice complements and welcome to the forum. I am a newbie to leather crafting and if I can do it so can you! Thats what is amazing about being a part of this community. You will find tons of support and references tips etc. My motto is build not buy! It can be cheaper and its much more rewarding. I will however put you down on the growing list of folks that are interested in a belt in case I do a run.
Cam

Such amazing work! I wish I had the courage to give that a shot; I'd be too worried about ruining and wasting such expensive materials. Well done, sir!

Looks great! I made one about 15 years ago. It wasn't too tricky, though I was going off of 1 picture from a book, and trying to pause a VHS tape. Needless to say, mine was not screen accurate!

Hey all. Sorry I missed you all asking about the 3 hole belt. I don't have the link any more but the belt was under $15 bucks including shipping.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back