Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2014, 4:01 PM - Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects -Vader ROTJ MOM #1

My fireplace mantle and work area are now COVERED in Lightsaber parts. I've been collecting parts for a while now, and am finally putting them all together, with the goal oft a complete collection of O.T. sabers. It's gotten away from me a bit though. I mean you gotta have AFBB versions... weathered versions... variants of different screen used... and I haven't even tinkered with electronics. But before this gets completely out of hand, I need to finish what's on my plate. So figured I'd do a thread on it...

Anyway, some quick background! It all started with an art show...

A gallery in Vancouver contacted me and my wife to submit art for a Star Wars/Star Trek art show taking place a few weeks later. My wife decided to crochet some characters, and I, not feeling up to painting or inking anything, decided I would make a lightsaber. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and while I watched the O.T. regularly , I never really looked too closely at the props.

I knew NOTHING about lightsabers, aside from them looking something like flashlights. So I looked up pics online and found the RPF. The first thing after joining I looked up how to build one, and found a bunch of hardware builds. I liked the idea of this so I went down to Home Depot with a bunch of pictures of lightsabers (with no idea who's was who's) and looked for parts to make something that could be one of the family.

I finished it, patted myself on the back, and then dropped it off for the show.

This was that rather embarrassing, clearly home depot, first saber...

But I was hooked... and also being between work contracts at the time, had more than enough time to read up on everything to do with lightsaber props.

Even though between contracts, I still started hunting graflex's and various other parts I would need to complete my new quest... collect ALL the O.T. lightsabers (it's good to have goals when between contracts and going stir crazy).

Well a year and a half later, and I have a pile of unfinished sabers, and a wife who's wishing she never said “yeah! You should look into doing a lightsaber!”

Anyway, time to get at em! I have some sabers that need just a bit of finishing, and others that will need a lot of work... Some I'm still looking for parts.

So far the only two I would say are COMPLETE are Luke's Star Wars Holiday Special saber, and the scratch build of the Vader ROTJ MOM saber (my favorite - so you will see multiple show up in this threads future.)

I'm aware the Holiday Special isn't O.T., but then neither is the yoda that I'm finishing up... there will be a few exceptions (cue the wife with “How many of these are there?! I thought you said SEVEN!”)

So first up on the block is the saber you probably aren't very familiar with...

LUKE ANH!

This is the graflex I'm working with for this saber... I have one that is quite a bit more beat up, but I'm gonna ESB Luke that one. This one is as close to pristine as I could find without paying 300+ bucks.

I took my graflex to my friend who has a GREAT workshop, with all the tools I don't have because I live in a tiny condo that I can barely fit a dremel into. Though I've had this graflex for over a year, I actually spent most of that time hmmming and hawwwwing over what D-ring clip to use. I went for the one I got off a member earlier this year, cut a piece of wood to support the back (at Chaim's recommendation) and finally put a hole in it.

Riveting that ring on was the most satisfying thing yet.

Last night I cut up my Gino tracks, sanded down the edges, and tonight will pull out my Exactra 19 and get a look a that bubblestrip.

More to come! Lots more...
    Last edited by NeoRutty; 3 Days Ago at 1:12 PM.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2014, 6:31 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #2

That's it ... you're hooked for life ... muahhahaa ... looking good though and I was gonna send you a link to an MPP ... but within the last hour the price in £'s quadrupled

Chaim
  3. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2014, 7:23 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #3

It such an awesome feeling to complete such an iconic lightsaber.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, I never get tired of projects like this.
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2014, 8:11 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #4

I both equally hate and need that holiday special saber... Damn you sir!!!

Seriously, lookin and sounding great on your builds!

I need to accurize my ANH a bit, and finish my ESB Luke...

Need some Gino track before it's all gone!
  5. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2014, 10:52 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #5

Looking good neo. The d-ring looks like a scuba one I picked up, pretty nice shape to it.
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 3, 2014, 11:03 AM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #6

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    That's it ... you're hooked for life ... muahhahaa ... looking good though and I was gonna send you a link to an MPP ... but within the last hour the price in £'s quadrupled

Chaim
    I WILL need to do Vader's from the trilogy (other than the MOM version) but I think I'll go down the replica route... who ever does the closest (parks?). The prices are just a bit crazy for a saber I'm not THAT crazy about, and always have the innacurate 2 step when they do show up on Ebay.

James Kenobi 1138 said: View Post
    It such an awesome feeling to complete such an iconic lightsaber.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, I never get tired of projects like this.
    Ha, good... I was hesitant on even doing a thread of these sabers since it's such a been there, done that... but at the same time, I have a few I may have questions on, and may as well keep them in the same place.

OldKen said: View Post
    I both equally hate and need that holiday special saber... Damn you sir!!!

Seriously, lookin and sounding great on your builds!

I need to accurize my ANH a bit, and finish my ESB Luke...

Need some Gino track before it's all gone!
    Thanks! Yeah strangely, when someone is not in the know on sabers, they always pick up the holiday one first. I think it just looks more cartoony than the others. ESB will be coming up, but not decided on screws yet (though pretty sure I WILL do screws).

spoudastis said: View Post
    Looking good neo. The d-ring looks like a scuba one I picked up, pretty nice shape to it.
    Thanks... I should look up the member who sourced it for me. WAY better than the ones I found at shops around here.
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 3, 2014, 11:34 AM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #7

Interesting...

So I DID crack open the two exactra's I have last night... one a 19, one a 20... The 19 is for the graflex, and the 20 for my "Holy Grail" saber... coming up.

On a totally nerdy side, I was actually kind stoked to see the real strips. I have replicas in place in some sabers now, but these seemed to shine more... almost like a light opened above them and shone down on them as I unscrewed the case. Ha.

I showed my wife, and she looked at me like a kid asking her to look at the amazing rock I found in the garden outside. Pfft. fine.

Anyway... the 19 is clear and the 20 is frosted. Does anyone know whether the original was frosted or clear? It obviously doesn't matter that much, and I'd be shocked if somehow someone DID find out...

I used an exacto blade to slice off the plastic keeping it pegged to the board, and pulled them off. I wanted to start sawing off the ends, but it was late, and figured I'd do it in the light of day (my condo has bad lighting and always looks really dark - it's like working in an apartment from a Fincher movie)

I put the screws in a little glass jar, in case I want to used them to put the grips on my ESB (coming up!), but I may just find screws that are in the same family... these are slightly different sizes... two are grey, two are brown...

Next up, finishing the strips without scratching them toooo much (cuz I can't find novus 2 in Canada!) and gluing on the grips.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 3, 2014, 2:01 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #8

Hahaha yeah I know the feeling, matey when seeing those Exactra bubbles for the very first time ... looks rather good ... the frosted version can be seen in DV ROTJ MPP lightsaber ... so I'd use the clear version for Luke's ANH . . . and I purchased Novus #1, 2 and #3 in a nice 3 bottle 8 FL OZ set . . . via ebay

Chaim
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 3, 2014, 5:00 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #9

Ok... you're starting to make me look bad... now I *really* have to do something with my ESB build lol.... nice work... I'm going to have to come to you for some pointers pretty soon!
  10. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 3, 2014, 10:04 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #10

Onto the bubbles!

So I followed an old thread by Clutch, and started off with taping up the back of the bubbles.

I then got my miter saw (A GREAT INVESTMENT - use it all the time) and sawed off the ends.

I took a medium sandpaper and sanded down the edges, until it easily slid in. No problems!

LIES! It got stuck. STUCK GOOD. I could NOT budge it out by hand. I ended up wrapping the clamp in cloth, putting a rag between the bubble strip and a screwdriver, and lightly hammered it out... it actually took a LOT to get it out again.

I then sanded it EVER so slightly, and now it sliiiiides nicely in. but of course it's kind of loose.

So the question to you ANH Luke Graflex guys is: What are the tricks you're using to keep it locked in? I have some ideas, but maybe there's a simple solution I'm missing.

Bubbles are nice and scratch free, and if I ever get me some novus, I'll likely touch up the ends and the sides where I sanded.
    From
    United Kingdom
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 4, 2014, 7:52 AM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #11

Chaim
    I queried this, really not sure if its genuine or not.

The owner told me that there are no serial numbers anywhere. And that the letters B E S E, are engraved. The inside is very clean with a battery contact point at the far end and a spring set into the removable end??
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 4, 2014, 12:12 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #12

Hi Marv,

There are early or perhaps even later MPP's that have no serial number ... also this one up for auction seems to have rectangular black sidebars and the top screw is exactly in the center of the shroud ... as for the removable part I suspect he means the endcap ... my clean endcap has a spring inside ... also the fonts used on the MPP name-plate are different from the ones I have here still that doesn't mean it's not genuine ... to clue is in the clamp ... you can clearly see how the lever scraped against the paint and left a half circle marking ... only vintage MPP's I have seen sofar have that same marking from usage as a flashgun. As for the engraving of the letters ... I'm not sure ... mine are engraved I believe or perhaps stamped if that's the difference you mean though the letters do contain paint residu ... black and red 'S'. Happy bidding should you decide to go for it near the end

Chaim
  13. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 5, 2014, 1:30 AM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #13

On loose bubble strip; I put a SMALL strip of clear packing tape on one edge of the lens..that can't be seen and it shims up the gap nicely.
    From
    United Kingdom
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 3:29 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #14

Just seen what that went for!!! May have to sell my spare its the same as that one!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 3:37 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #15

Wow ... it went over $1000 for a genuine MPP ... it's been a while ... mine was far less ... a good investment if I ever decide to sell

Chaim
  16. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 4:05 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #16

Yup that MPP sale is nuts.

As I finish up the ones I have CURRENTLY on the go, I'll have to figure what to do about Vader ANH and ESB... I figure it'll be a Parks or whomever is making the closest. I've never been big on either of those sabers, so spendingover $1000 is not even an option...

I do spend a lot of time hunting flea markets and such, so there's always the dream of coming across an mpp there, ha. Saddly, the closest I ever got was a Graflite.

Didn't get much of anything done this weekend... but will hopefully get the grips on tonight.

To prep for it, I polished up the hilt with some metal cleaner, since this is to as close to fresh off the saber production line as I can get.

I also cleaned up a replica back end I got as part of a bits and pieces buy a while back... already pre-drilled for an ESB or Vader MOM ROTJ. I will be using it for my MOM ROTJ, which is still further down the line for finishing up.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 4:17 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #17

I just wonder if Luke ever took such great care on his lightsaber as some of you do with polishing and prepping and so on now just slab some grips on there ... without any additional help then the Toe-Picture, just as the old propmakers did a long time ago ... in this galaxy :

... I dare you

Chaim
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 4:43 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #18

Wow ... it went over $1000 for a genuine MPP ... it's been a while ... mine was far less ... a good investment if I ever decide to sell

Chaim
    I feel like I stole mine now... wow... fortune really does favor fools sometimes
  19. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 4:56 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #19

don't you worry, my ESB will be quite beat up...

I just wonder if Luke ever took such great care on his lightsaber as some of you do with polishing and prepping and so on now just slab some grips on there ... without any additional help then the Toe-Picture, just as the old propmakers did a long time ago ... in this galaxy :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...ukesToePic.jpg

... I dare you

Chaim
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2011
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 5:23 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #20

NeoRutty said: View Post
    don't you worry, my ESB will be quite beat up...
    Heh... I'm using the most pristine Graflex I have for my ESB build
  21. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2014, 5:28 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #21

Well I DO have a nice and shiny Graflex I was going to use for an ESB... but then I figured I'd hold off and see what the next movies and the side movies have in store... may want it for something else. heh

I also have a beat up MOM ROTJ Vader saber to weather up, and one I'm hunting for parts to finish, that would be as close to new as I can get.

I'm always turn between my love of the weathered look, and my need to restore old beat up stuff.

I think it started with the Stalone movie, Lock Up, where they restored the classic mustang.... and I'm an "American Restoration" fan as well (the builds... not the fake drama)

Edraven99 said: View Post
    Heh... I'm using the most pristine Graflex I have for my ESB build
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    1 Week Ago  Oct 8, 2014, 5:05 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #22

LOVE this thread, nice work on those bubble strips. I take it you went for the "slid under the sidebars" rather than the "pinched between" thing. Also, cheers to the mitre saw, I need to get one of those. I'll be watching!!!
  23. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    1 Week Ago  Oct 8, 2014, 5:12 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #23

Yeah I placed them the other way, but it bugged me. Even if it is correct that way (clamped between), which it very well may be, it looked wrong when I did it. I'm actually surprised that the prop guys, who so nicely fit other pieces under the clamp edges (ESB card for example), that they wouldn't just sand it down so it fit nicely. It just seems so obvious a decision to make, and only took me like 5 minutes.

So maybe I'll grab another exactra down the line, and have it aside as a switch-out option, to give my picky brain a rest...

As for those grips... I have a BUNCH of stuff to do right now, but my family whines and complains every time I use glue, chemicals or anything stinky (I don't have a sense of smell... so nothing bothers me), so I have to wait until they are out of the condo to do anything. I would just do it on the deck, but there is no light, and it's dark by the time I get home.

OH FOR A GARAGE!!!

thd9791 said: View Post
    LOVE this thread, nice work on those bubble strips. I take it you went for the "slid under the sidebars" rather than the "pinched between" thing. Also, cheers to the mitre saw, I need to get one of those. I'll be watching!!!
    1 Week Ago  Oct 8, 2014, 5:45 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #24

Great build! I'm looking forward to seeing your ESB.. I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced folmer to pop up so I can get started on mine.
  25. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    1 Week Ago  Oct 8, 2014, 6:06 PM - Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH #25

Hmm is that to say the ESB was for sure a "Folmer" stamped end? Didn't look that closely into it... not even sure what mine says, heh.

Not worried about it though. I'm picky, but not that picky I guess, heh.

*I should note I JUST fell down the rabbit hole of threads on the Folmer/non Folmer Graflex's... head spinning... oh well, doesn't change anything! onward!"

ESB I THINK is 5th up... I'm going to hunt down screws pretty quick here, then get it drilled up when I'm next at my buddy's place in Seattle. I was going to use Exactra screws, but the 4 I have are two different sizes. So I figured, screw it (pun) and just find what's CLOSE and finally lock it down.

Curmudgeon said: View Post
    Great build! I'm looking forward to seeing your ESB.. I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced folmer to pop up so I can get started on mine.
    Last edited by NeoRutty; 1 Week Ago at 6:14 PM.