Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 4, 2015, 12:14 PM - Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread - Obi Wan Display -Thoughts?? #1

Hey gang,

Happy New Year to you all!!

With the new year and since I've gathered most of the parts I'll need, I figured I'd get cracking and start actually trying to build these things!

I also wanted to create this thread so that I can consolidate everything into one spot and get some much needed advice from everyone as I go along; and hopefully that people can use as a source for discussion and as an easy reference for their own build journeys be they be real parts or replicas

Without much further adieu, a peek at what's to come this year!

Luke Skywalker ESB - Graflex with vintage HP connector card and real Kobold clip:
    Darth Vader ESB - Genuine vintage MPP Microflash with Exactra bubble strip:
    Obi Wan Kenobi ANH - the pièce de résistance which speaks for itself!:
    Last edited by Edraven99; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:40 AM.
  2. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 4, 2015, 12:29 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #2

To kick things off, here's what's been done to the MPP already:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpp9_zps0974fc7b.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	422043 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpp10_zps8595ccfb.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	422044 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpp14_zps35363e2b.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	422045

Name:	mpp13_zps922e0ee1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	422046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpp12_zps61d4c19a.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	422057 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpp11_zps6f32eefa.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	422058

The wires are all 16 gauge that were sourced out through scrap wires from friends and on Ebay.

Just a quick note that not all 16 gauge wires are created equal... as I discovered, while the wire itself might be 16 gauge, the thickness of the plastic insulator will vary in thickness. You can't tell, but the white wire is ever so slightly thinner than the blue wire. You might not think this makes that much of a difference, but that extra millimeter makes it a lot tougher to fit the wires into the slot holes. I had to shave the insulation a bit in order to fit them in all the way...

As you can see from my initial post, I got my t-tracks from Gino so I'll be working on that next.... still need my plastic sleeve replaced though...
    Last edited by Edraven99; Jan 4, 2015 at 8:16 PM.
    Jan 4, 2015, 1:53 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #3

OMG, instant b0ner
    Last edited by themaggot8; Jan 4, 2015 at 3:51 PM.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jan 4, 2015, 3:37 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #4

Yea, exactly I just c....

This is amazing!!!!
    From
    Düsseldorf - Germany
    Jan 4, 2015, 4:20 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #5

Holy s***.
    Nice Obi parts.
    Subscribed
  6. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Jan 4, 2015, 4:33 PM - Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #6

Wow! This is so cool! I envy your collection!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com
  7. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 4, 2015, 8:50 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #7

Thanks guys! I can't take all of the credit for getting these parts... especially the Obi parts. A lot of help and a little bit of dumb luck went into all of these!

A quick update since I have a bit of time to post... So as some of you may know from my MPP thread that the MPP I managed to pick up isn't 100% accurate - it has a two-step shroud, and as Chaim (Sym-Cha) pointed out, it's missing the plastic sleeve that goes under the metal clamp.

So... I ordered a replica shroud and clamp from Parks so that I could cannibalize the plastic sleeve and have an option if I wanted to replace my shroud.

I finally managed to pick up the parts yesterday from my mail box in the States and guess what... it looks like my MPP is NOT missing a part after all.

I can't put the sleeve under the clamp and still have the clamp screw together on the flashgun.

Can you say "Variant"?

Here's a couple of quick pictures to show you what I mean - the clamp on the left is the Parks clamp and the one on the right is my MPP clamp:

Name:	Clamp 1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	422067 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clamp 2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	422068

Notice that the Parks clamp is slightly bigger than my MPP clamp.

Something to be aware of for all of you MPP hunters out there... it's not just the shroud and sidebars that have variants!!

So now I have a decide whether I want to go with my real clamp and forgo the plastic sleeve in my build... or go full replica with the clamp...

*sigh*
  8. Chris RPF Premium Member teecrooz's Avatar
    Jan 4, 2015, 9:37 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #8

Keep the original.
    Jan 4, 2015, 9:52 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #9

I just saw a vintage graflex on ebay and because of this thread I'm so tempted to buy it :P
  10. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Jan 5, 2015, 1:32 AM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #10

Weird my real MPP is pretty much dead on to the Parks replica... Mine does have the correct shroud though
  11. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jan 5, 2015, 5:26 AM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #11

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic with the Obi parts laid out...would be worth to put these in a shadow box with a fully built/ weathered Russ or RE saber underneath

Markus
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 5, 2015, 6:29 AM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #12

Well it's always possible the MPP assembly crew forgot to add a plastic sleeve however as Parfaitelumiere showed me the sleeve was always glued inside the clamp as can be seen here :

So if your clamp lack this glue residue I'd say it came without a clamp sleeve. As for the Parks parts it is possible he used a slightly larger or fatter MPP and you may have to modify your clamp sleeve replica in order to make it fit underneath your MPP clamp. Does the shroud by Parks fit okay?

Chaim
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jan 5, 2015, 11:24 AM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #13

Isn't your MPP endcap a little funny looking too? That was the first thing I noticed. It's a really cool version!

..maybe not. Does it flare out at the bottom? It looks like it does and I've never seen an MPP like that.
  14. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 5, 2015, 4:33 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #14

OdiWan72 said: View Post
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic with the Obi parts laid out...would be worth to put these in a shadow box with a fully built/ weathered Russ or RE saber underneath

Markus
    Yep! That's the plan... sort of... only instead it'll be a real parts saber with the extra parts laid out around it
  15. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 5, 2015, 4:39 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #15

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Well it's always possible the MPP assembly crew forgot to add a plastic sleeve however as Parfaitelumiere showed me the sleeve was always glued inside the clamp as can be seen here :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps4364efb5.jpg

So if your clamp lack this glue residue I'd say it came without a clamp sleeve. As for the Parks parts it is possible he used a slightly larger or fatter MPP and you may have to modify your clamp sleeve replica in order to make it fit underneath your MPP clamp. Does the shroud by Parks fit okay?

Chaim
    Hey Chaim,

Nope... no glue residue and the plastic sleeve is actually quite thin so that isn't the issue... there just isn't enough clamp!

The shroud fits ok... a tiny little bit loose compared to the real shroud, but nothing really worth mentioning.
  16. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 5, 2015, 4:49 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #16

thd9791 said: View Post
    Isn't your MPP endcap a little funny looking too? That was the first thing I noticed. It's a really cool version!

..maybe not. Does it flare out at the bottom? It looks like it does and I've never seen an MPP like that.
    Nope... at least I don't think it does...

Here's a picture of it:

Name:	mpp5_zps2c148a17.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	422372
    From
    Italy, Treviso
    Jan 5, 2015, 4:58 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #17

OMG!
    Awesome!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 5, 2015, 6:12 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #18

Correct me if I'm mistaken ... with 'there's not enough clamp' you mean the replica sleeve is to large? If so why don't you cut it in half and then measure how much should be removed by doing a test-fit with both halfs inside and overlap in order to make a perfect fit? Then use a piece of ducktape or such and add them into your MPP clamp. Another strip of ducktape can be used inside the shroud to fill it up for a better fit

Chaim
  19. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 5, 2015, 6:27 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #19

Correct me if I'm mistaken ... with 'there's not enough clamp' you mean the replica sleeve is to large? If so why don't you cut it in half and then measure how much should be removed by doing a test-fit with both halfs inside and overlap in order to make a perfect fit? Then use a piece of ducktape or such and add them into your MPP clamp. Another strip of ducktape can be used inside the shroud to fill it up for a better fit

Chaim
    Nooooo... I think you're misunderstanding what's happening Chaim... the diameter of my real MPP clamp appears to be smaller than what is normally found on a MPP flashgun. So, when try I take the plastic Parks sleeve and put it under the clamp, the added thickness makes it so I can't close the clamp - the screw won't reach the other side - when its on the flash tube.
  20. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Jan 5, 2015, 8:59 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #20

My plastic sleeve only has a tiny bit of the old dried up glue... not caked on like the above pic. In fact at first I thought it had none, but dead center was a tiny strip.
    From
    Vilshofen - Germany
    Jan 6, 2015, 4:48 AM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #21

Love that collection and amount of passion!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Jan 6, 2015, 11:56 AM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #22

Okay I see what you mean ... so what y'a gonna do? Use the Parks replica clamp in stead? Thanks scottjua ... I never checked mine since it fits so snug on my MPP ... so I'm leaving it alone.

Chaim
  23. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Jan 7, 2015, 7:37 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #23

Okay I see what you mean ... so what y'a gonna do? Use the Parks replica clamp in stead? Thanks scottjua ... I never checked mine since it fits so snug on my MPP ... so I'm leaving it alone.

Chaim
    That's the debate... though I think I might be leaning towards just using my real clamp. I'm not removing the "MPP" tag on it so my build is never going to be 100% accurate anyways. But that said... I *might* have a cheat... I have to test and see....
  24. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Jan 7, 2015, 7:46 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #24

I can see not taking off the MPP tag... even on the Parks I may pick up it seems wrong to remove it.
  25. RPF Premium Member Panaflex's Avatar
    From
    Florida
    Jan 7, 2015, 9:46 PM - Re: Edraven99's Real Parts Lightsaber Build Thread #25

Going to use that much overused word which in this case is completely appropriate: Awesome.